Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone hired a villa in Portugal?

8 replies

leander · 06/08/2002 21:56

We were thinking of bokking a villa in Florida for next summer but the flights are too expensive! so we're thinking about Portugal, anyone done this and can reccomend a suitable place for 6 adults, 1 infant(2 1/2) and 2babies (1 1/2).

OP posts:
Please
or

Viv · 07/08/2002 09:27

Leander, one of my friends is out there at the moment, on an extended holiday for her parents ruby wedding. There are 6 adults, a teenager and 3 pre schoolers so it could be ideal. If you can wait 2 weeks till they get back, I can ask them for the details (assuming they are having a great time!)

Please
or

crystaltips · 07/08/2002 17:11

Depends what you are looking for :

Golf - Val de Lobo or Quinta da Largo
Sailing - Villamoura

Both these two are a bit pricey and less rustic than other areas. Plus point is that it's only about 20 mins from Faro airport.

DIscos and nightlife - Albufeira

If you are looking for a more "down to earth" Portugal I would suggest Priar da Luz or the fishing village of Burgau.
If my memory serves me right these places would be 2 hrs from the airport.

Lagos is the main town in the Algarve but not too many beaches in walking distance though a nice marina.
HTH

Please
or

crystaltips · 07/08/2002 17:11

Depends what you are looking for :

Golf - Val de Lobo or Quinta da Largo
Sailing - Villamoura

Both these two are a bit pricey and less rustic than other areas. Plus point is that it's only about 20 mins from Faro airport.

DIscos and nightlife - Albufeira

If you are looking for a more "down to earth" Portugal I would suggest Priar da Luz or the fishing village of Burgau.
If my memory serves me right these places would be 2 hrs from the airport.

Lagos is the main town in the Algarve but not too many beaches in walking distance though a nice marina.
HTH

Please
or

crystaltips · 07/08/2002 21:56

ooops!
Probably got the message first time around!

Please
or

leander · 07/08/2002 22:00

Thanks crystaltips Im not really sure what we want but definately dont want golf or we will never see our DHs.

OP posts:
Please
or

leander · 07/08/2002 22:00

Thanks crystaltips Im not really sure what we want but definately dont want golf or we will never see our DHs.

OP posts:
Please
or

leander · 07/08/2002 22:01

It must be catching!!!!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

mckenzie · 14/08/2002 21:10

We've just come back froma long weekend in Tavira which is abput 30 mins drive from Faro. We stayed in a friend's villa and they dont rent it out so not worth me recommending the villa to you (even though it was lovely) but Tavira itself is a very pretty little fishing town, beach and has a huge supermarket where everything was very reasonably priced and although I didn't put my hand in my pocket all weekend (lucky me) I understand from friends and DH that it's not expensive at all.
Have been to Val de Lobo, pre children, and loved it but do remember it being a bit pricey and commercial.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?