Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

how do i ask?

4 replies

shalom · 12/08/2004 13:28

I am travelling to Canada next week and a friend has given me a list of the things he wants me to buy . The problem is that he has just come back from there. He has not made mention of giving me any money and i do not know how to ask . do i just go and say i couldn't get them or do i ask for the money upfront but i do not want this to spoil our friendship cos we have been friends for quite a long tome. Also as i am going with two kids and one husband so i need all the money i can get.
advice anyone

OP posts:
Please
or

jampot · 12/08/2004 13:31

Why not ask him how much he's expecting it to total? It may push him into offering the money. Unless of course he's expecting you to put it on your credit card which may insure it until it gets back.

Please
or

marialuisa · 12/08/2004 13:38

How about saying outright "do you want me to put this on my credit card and you'll refund me when we get back, or have you got some left over dollars?" I'm assuming this is a substantial list rather than under a fiver's worth of goods.

We take stuff out to friends in the US when we go over, but as we're relying on their hospitality the situation's a bit different!

Please
or

shalom · 12/08/2004 13:51

actually its about 2 suits; 2 pairs of trousers and about 2 or 3 cds
i agree with Marialuisa i am staying with friends and they gave asked me to buy some things but like you said we are staying with them for nearly three weeks

OP posts:
Please
or

Blu · 12/08/2004 14:22

I'd say what Marialuisa suggests. the CC method is good because it shows up on your card in ££, so you don't have to haggle over exchange rates with him!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?