Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Family places to eat in Hertfordshire

7 replies

Joanne69 · 02/08/2004 23:41

I've just moved to Hertfordshire and am stuck on places to eat for families with young kids with decent food, am I asking too much?. I know of the Brewsters chain of restaurants but was looking for something a bit more special for a birthday meal. But want to go somewhere where there is a childrens play area and where they wont turn up their nose at young children. Please help!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

tammybear · 02/08/2004 23:44

Where abouts are you in Hertfordshire?

Please
or

Joanne69 · 03/08/2004 11:00

North Herfordshire, but am prepared to travel for a good place to eat

OP posts:
Please
or

Kayleigh · 03/08/2004 11:07

The only restaurants I can think of with play areas are outside play areas. There is Battleaxes in Aldenham or Moor Mill near Radlett. There is a very child friendly restaurant we go to in Barnet - they are great with kids - a pasta/pizza place. Food is good but no play area.
(Is north herts watford ?? I'm in Barnet, not sure if that is S/W/N or E Herts!)

You should come to the watford meet-ups too - check out the current threads - there is an eve and day one being planned. They are a pretty regular thing so if you can't make the august ones maybe we'll see you at the next one.

Please
or

mckenzie · 03/08/2004 12:36

Joanne69 - my geography is pants so not idea if this is North Herts or south I'm afraid but...

The Moor Hen just outside Harlow, off the A414 is a big pub/restaurant upstairs and downstairs it has Bumpies which is a softplay area with food also. It's on the river and there are lots of canal boats (my family call it the Rosie and Jim pub) moored up and there is also an outside play area if the weather is good.

Food upstairs is probably fairly Brewster style but they have always been very accomodating with the children whenever we've been there.

Please
or

fruitful · 03/08/2004 20:26

Anyone? I'm in North Herts too (nearly Cambridge), was hoping someone might know some places!

I know plenty of pubs with outdoor play areas if that helps Joanne?

Is Cambridge any good? How north in Herts are you?

Please
or

LizP · 03/08/2004 20:47

In East Herts - The Jolly Waggoneers in Much Hadham has good outdoor play area and good food - even the childrens nuggets are chicken breast in tempura batter.

Wouldn't recommend the moor hen food wise - but it is the only play I can think of with an indoor area. There is meant to be a good pub up towards buntingford I think but don't know the name - maybe try one of the free listings things.

Please
or

Joanne69 · 04/08/2004 16:48

Live close to the cambridge/hertfordshire border, cambridge isnt too far away, about 40 mins, thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?