Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Hotel in Chelmsford near railway station: any suggestions?

5 replies

soyabean · 12/07/2004 16:24

I have won tickets for Vfestival 120/21 Aug outside Chelmsford. I live in London, and am going with 12 yr old ds.We had thought we'd camp but now I think I'd rather just have one night in a hotel so we dont have to take lots of stuff and can just enjoy the music, but still have a comfortable night then back on the Sunday (Ds may be disappointed but as we dont know anyone else going I dont see much point in camping)
Anyway there is a shuttle bus to and from the site to Chelmsford station so could any of you tell me the name of a few hotels within walking distance so I can call them and try to book?
Cheap and bogstandard if possible. Many thanks to anyone who can help.

OP posts:
Please
or

808state · 12/07/2004 17:40

I live quite near Chelmsford and this is taken from the offical V fest website:-

Shuttle Buses

Essex Buses Ltd will be operating a free shuttle bus service from Chelmsford bus stations (opposite to the rail station) to Hylands Park and back. They will run approximately every few minutes during the times detailed below:

Friday 20th August
From Chelmsford Bus Station to Hylands Park
12 noon - 11pm

Saturday 21st August
9.30am - 7pm
From Hylands Park to Chelmsford Bus Station
7pm - 2am

Sunday 22nd August
9.30am - 7pm
From Hylands Park to Chelmsford Bus Station
7pm - 2am

Monday 23rd August
6am - 12 noon

Please
or

bunnyrabbit · 12/07/2004 19:01

Hi Soyabean,
Well I livein CHelmsford so don't use the hotels but here's what I have:

Near the station te county hotel

about 5 mins walk atlantic hotel

about 15 mins walk southlodge

Not sure if you're leaving it a bit late....

BR

Please
or

soyabean · 13/07/2004 00:55

Thank you both for your help. Yes Bunnyrabbit I know I have probably left it too late but I had been assuming we would camp and am now getting cold feet and thinking Id rather just be away for one night in a hotel, rather than 2 or even 3 if camping (apparently you need to get there on Fri early pm to get a camping space thats not next to the portaloos, and then if you stay for the last bands on Sun eve its too late to take down tent and leave). Hmm just pondering our options really and feeling like an old fogey for even considering a hotel or B & B!Ds wont be very impressed but he just has to be grateful that I am taking him and not dh or friend.

OP posts:
Please
or

bunnyrabbit · 13/07/2004 18:17

The Camping is supposed to be fun, great atmosphere etc, I have some friends who do it every year.

There is a Tescos about a mile away but it gets very busy on V weekend. How did you win the tickets by the way?

BR

Please
or

soyabean · 14/07/2004 00:25

Just from a draw in the Evening Standard. I was so surprised and excited, hadn't crossed my mind I cd actually win! Im sure the camping would/could be fun but as there's only the two of us its not like we'd be with a big group or anything. One night would be fine, and maybe we could do that: go early on Sat am, pitch tent, stay there sat eve, take tent down and out back in car on Sun am, enjoy Sun and drive back sun eve but Id be knackered and also couldnt have a drink which would be a shame.Hmm I am giving this a lot of thought at the mo as you can probably tell!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?