Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Hotel Recommendations in the Dales

13 replies

mummysurfer · 03/07/2004 23:32

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in the YOrkshire Dales?
DH and I are off for one night only to celebrate my 40th.
i've tried googling and can't even find the tourist board site. so any pointers would be much appreciated.
thanks
MS

OP posts:
Please
or

mrsflowerpot · 03/07/2004 23:35

try Alastair Sawday www.sawdays.co.uk - there are loads of hotels in the dales there.

We've stayed at the Red Lion in Burnsall and the Blue Lion in East Witton (we like lions! ) - both lovely pubs with good restaurants and in pretty villages, you'd find both of them if you google.

If you're after something really posh friends recommend the Crab and Lobster or the Devonshire Arms - pricey but worth it I gather.

Please
or

Janh · 04/07/2004 00:03

Wensleydale for starters!

I was going to suggest the Devonshire Arms too.

If you google Dales hotels or Yorkshire Dales hotels quite a few websites come up (got this one that way)

Please
or

littlemissbossy · 04/07/2004 00:10

As a Yorkshire girl born and bred, I'd stay at either thedevonshirearms.co.uk or swintonpark.com, both close to/in the dales

Please
or

Babyannabel · 04/07/2004 00:10

Harrogate is lovely - there is Rudding Park which is great and there are all the great shops nearby...

The Devonshire Arms is supposed to be good, not been myself unfortunately

Please
or

mummysurfer · 04/07/2004 12:19

not looking good -
Rudding Park, Devonshire Arms and Swinton Park don't take bookings for Saturdays only, would have to go Friday and saturday. couldn't afford that plus parents can only have them on the Saturday.
they all looked fantastic too - thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

Babyannabel · 04/07/2004 13:52

What about Hotel du Vin in Harrogate - supposed to be lovely, right in the centre of town. I think someone mentioned the Crab and Lobster, I've heard that is fantastic, never been myself but would love to go. We have stayed in one hotel up by Hawes but wouldn't particularly recommend it, it was ok but not amazing by any stretch of the imagination. There is one call The Pheasant in Helmsley (North of York) which looks nice too, it's in the Johansens book.

Please
or

bettys · 04/07/2004 14:16

The Johansens site is good for hotels in the dales. We stayed at Hob Green which was lovely. It was in the depths of winter with snow all around and roaring log fires downstairs so I'm not sure what the ambience would be like in summer.

Please
or

Zeebee · 04/07/2004 18:25

How about the Feversham Arms in Helmsley? Just been refurbed and run by a guy who used to work for Seaham Hall, so emphasis on luxury and service without stuffiness. We had a fabulous, relaxing time. Food lovely, excellent service and staff friendly but not pushy. B&O sound systems, molton brown toiletries, big robes - yes, i'm that shallow that these things matter! Also a (clean) heated outdoor pool with plenty of seating around it for pre-dinner drinks. We stayed in a suite but had a look round some of the other rooms too and they were all lovely.

It's not far from the Star Inn which also gets rave reviews and is Michelin starred. Have also stayed at Blue Lion which was lovely but not as luxurious.

Am always a tad sceptical about Johansens and sawdays as you pay to be in them.

Let us know how you get on!

Please
or

mummysurfer · 17/07/2004 21:57

can you believe we are still searching and are supposed to be going away on Saturday night. I have tried ALL of the ones already mentioned and no one will take a booking for the Sat only. have found one actually, but it is a twin room!

OP posts:
Please
or

littlemissbossy · 17/07/2004 22:05

ok another couple of suggestions are Guisborough Hall or Pinchinthorpe Hall, both are at the top end of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, but you still may have problems with Saturday bookings only, plus it's also wedding season, but hope this helps, if I think of anymore I'll let you know

Please
or

littlemissbossy · 17/07/2004 22:20

also, look at www.yorkshirenet.co.uk, click on places to stay, Amerdale Hall Hotel is in a beautiful location, but never stayed their myself. HTH

Please
or

Katie74 · 18/07/2004 16:16

Mummysurfer- try The Angel Inn at Hetton its about 10 miles from Skipton - its a beautiful restaurant/pub which has renovated one of its barns to rooms which are really lovely - I was born and bred in this part of the world and stayed for a night with my hubby after ds was born and may parent babysat - not sure about 1 night bookings but number is 01756 730263 I'd really recommend it

Please
or

zeebee · 27/07/2004 12:17

Mummysurfer - did you manage to find somewhere in the end? Let us know how you got on.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?