Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Forest of Dean

5 replies

fee77 · 20/06/2004 22:04

We are off to the forest for four days with 8mth DD. The forecast is not good! Any ideas what we can do in wet weather? My husband suggested strip scrabble!

OP posts:
Please
or

ZolaPola · 20/06/2004 22:31

if wet, visit to dean heritage museum is nice
as is goodrich castle
visit to town of ross on wye
otherwise, beautiful countryside for walks even in the rain!

Please
or

fee77 · 21/06/2004 09:26

Thanks ZolaPola - looking forward to the break, but i am a bit of a city girl, so don't really do mud!!

OP posts:
Please
or

fee77 · 28/06/2004 08:01

Well i have been, and had a great time. Luckily the weather held out for us, and it only rained once.
For any one else visiting, and looking for info this is what we did - Symmonds Yat (nice view then drove down to the bottom for a pub lunch!), Monmouth (not a great deal there, but a pleasant town), Dean Heritage centre (disappointment! Supposed to have excellent disabled access but DH and i struggled to push a 19lb baby round!!!) Lydney (same as monmouth really), Gloucester (raining so spent most of the day in shops!)
ZolaPola was right the countryside is beautiful, and although i am a city girl we managed with a bog standard buggy and flip flops!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Marina · 31/08/2004 14:44

We just got back from a week in this area and also had less than brilliant weather. We got a bit mud-bound trying to walk the Wye Valley path near Symonds Yat West and were shocked to see a really tacky amusement park in such an otherwise unspoilt and pretty location. But we did enjoy the Sculpture Trail in the Forest (Beechenhurst Lodge), the Dean Forest Railway and especially Goodrich Castle, a must for any little knights. Ross on Wye looked nice but it was market day and the parking was so scary we turned tail.

Please
or

WideWebWitch · 31/08/2004 20:51

We walked the sculpture trail recently too Marina and thought it was lovely. Glad you had a lovely time.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?