Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Cheap flight to New York? Good phonecards?

34 replies

Janh · 05/05/2004 09:21

Following on from janinlondon's revelation about speed ferries , can the Mumsnet Information Service help with incredibly cheap recommendations for flights to New York?

DD1 is going to work in a summer camp, last year went with CCUSA and they arranged the flights but this year is going it alone (she has a US passport so doesn't need visas etc) - she has to be in NY by the morning of June 21st, so a day or so earlier would be OK but no later, and needs to come back on or after Sept 1st (because the cost of flights plummets after Aug 31st?)

She also needs to get a phonecard for ringing home as cheaply as poss when she's not at camp.

TIA!

OP posts:
Please
or

tuesdayafternoon · 05/05/2004 11:36

Please. I would be very grateful. And will send you all classy, expensive "I love NY" t-shirts when I get there.

Love from janh's dd1

Please
or

Codswallop · 05/05/2004 11:49

how does hse have an american pssport ( she asks nosily)

I would love a t shirt

Please
or

Janh · 05/05/2004 11:52

Oooh, coddy, are you thinking the worst?

OP posts:
Please
or

tuesdayafternoon · 05/05/2004 14:44

She was born in New York.

Offer of t-shirts still stands...!

Please
or

Codswallop · 05/05/2004 14:45

No was just interested how she ended up int he north west!!

how exciting - were you there on a hol jan or living there?!

have no ideas about flights tuesday, sorry

Please
or

tuesdayafternoon · 05/05/2004 14:49

They lived in the US for about 4/5 years I think, in Minneapolis and New York, they moved back here in 1983 when I was 1...it is quite exciting isn't it, I love telling people I was born in New York!

Please
or

Janh · 05/05/2004 14:50

We lived there for 4 years, coddy - 79-83 - first year in Minnesota and then on Long Island. (DH works in IT, or DP as it was called in the dark ages, he did contracting out there.) We had a wonderful time and ended up with an American daughter!

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 05/05/2004 14:50

oo, hello, where are you????

OP posts:
Please
or

tuesdayafternoon · 05/05/2004 14:55

I'm in uni, got back about half an hour ago, as you can see I am working very hard!

Please
or

Janh · 05/05/2004 14:57

About as hard as me at a guess...well, shall I google and see if I can answer my own request?

OP posts:
Please
or

tuesdayafternoon · 05/05/2004 15:01

Why not! At the moment the best one I've found was £391.20 with Aer Lingus, leaving on June 20th and returning on September 2nd, with one stop in Dublin...go on, impress me with your googling skills!

Please
or

Codswallop · 05/05/2004 16:08

sh e is the queen of ggoogle minijan ( for that is you)

I was born in singapore - ditto I like the reaction!

I will warn you tho MInijan that a friend of mine met he r husband ont he flight to go and do camp america - she was called wainright and so was he so they were seated near each other

Please
or

hatmum · 05/05/2004 16:40

Will look up url as we got 2 flights to NYC for £480 all in (and that included add-ons from non London airport which raised the cost by about £100) earlier in the year.

Please
or

Janh · 05/05/2004 16:49

Ooh yes please, hatmum, thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

hatmum · 05/05/2004 16:50

Hmmmmm. Can't find site atm but would at home. Best so far is £374 through onlinetravel.com

Please
or

hatmum · 05/05/2004 16:53

Aha! Look at cheapflights.co.uk; select all London departures; go through list to check valid from/to and means to book is on right hand side - we used this and ended up with a random Blackpool travel agent but v cheap tickets. Cheapest atm for you would be £260 through Airborn Direct. Good luck!!

Please
or

Bettybloo · 05/05/2004 16:57

Hi I'm about 45 minutes from New York and phone home using something called a Pronto phonecard from my local off-licence - it gives me about an hour and a half for $5 dollars, might be marginally less from a pay phone. There are loads of others which vary according to times of day etc but I could do a bit of finding out for you.
We got good flights from virgin last time we came home but I think that might be because we booked ages in advance. Continental are also good if I remember rightly.

Please
or

Janh · 05/05/2004 16:58

Found it! Thanks, hatmum - I'll let you know how we get on!

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 05/05/2004 17:26

No good - she's going for too long to get the really cheap flights (they must want you to go for 7 days or 14 or something - the girl said "three MONTHS?"!)

Looking at one-way flight prices now...

OP posts:
Please
or

KateandtheGirls · 05/05/2004 17:33

Bettybloo, where are you located? I just moved down to Florida after living in Westfield, New Jersey for 9 years.

Jan and daughter, sorry I can't help.

Please
or

Janh · 05/05/2004 17:35

Oooh, thanks, Bettybloo (by home you do mean UK I hope??? ) Yes, if you could find out some more details we would appreciate it greatly!

That's OK, Kate!

OP posts:
Please
or

Bettybloo · 05/05/2004 17:56

Ok Jan I'll get on to it (yes home is the UK) - whereabouts will your daughter be based because there are SO many and where you are makes a difference as well as where you're calling. Will she have a landline or will she have to use a pay phone? Anyway I'll do a bit of finding out and let you know.
Hi Kate I'm in Chatham NJ,(near Morristown), been here about six months and while loving much of it, missing home rather badly at the moment. How do you like Florida? Do you prefer it to Jersey? How old are your girls?
(Sorry Jan for slightly hijacking your thread!)

Please
or

KateandtheGirls · 05/05/2004 18:05

Yes, sorry Jan.

Betty, how come you're in Jersey? Chatham's a nice town. I have friends there. Love the Short Hills Mall too, of course.

I love Florida, although I'll always have a soft spot for New Jersey. Mainly because of 9 years of wonderful memories with my late husband, and that's where my girls were born (in Overlook Hospital).

The girls are 4.5 and 2, and Florida's a great place to grow up I think. We can be outside year round and we have a swimming pool in our back yard.

Please
or

Bettybloo · 05/05/2004 18:22

Kate - I've just been reading old threads, and I'm so sorry about your dh. You sound like you're making a great new life for yourselves in Florida though.
Chatham is gorgeous - so safe, and the school is fantastic. And Short Hills, OMG! We're here because dp got transferred with his job to NYC. Not sure how long we'll be out here though, it's not a set contract.

Please
or

august24 · 05/05/2004 18:30

did you go directly to Virgin.com or BA.com. I find that the tickets are cheapest on their websites. I use BA a lot, and I like that you can look 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after. That said I just looked up the flight and it was 419.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?