Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

New visa requirements for the States?

13 replies

triplets · 28/04/2004 09:40

We are going to Florida in Oct and I have been hearing conflicting talk about new visa requirements, anyone know about it please?

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 28/04/2004 09:42

US Embassy website visa advice , triplets.

I know nothing but this should help!

Please
or

twiglett · 28/04/2004 09:45

message withdrawn

Please
or

Janh · 28/04/2004 09:46

B2 holiday visas

Men have to complete an extra page - not sure why. You can download the forms from the website (PDF format).

Please
or

Trifle · 28/04/2004 10:27

Hang on, I'm not sure that is correct. As far as the imformation I have read is concerned, we do not need visas as we, ie UK citizens born and bred, are part of the Visa Waiver Programme.

Please
or

suedonim · 28/04/2004 10:35

Ds1 lives in LA and I plan to visit him in Nov. At his end, he's been told I won't need a visa, as they've delayed the plans for two years.

Please
or

LIZS · 28/04/2004 10:38

atm if your passport has more than 6 months to run at the date you plan to exit US you would not need a visa.

Please
or

Janh · 28/04/2004 10:49

I'm not sure if this bit helps (I hadn't looked at the Visa Waiver page before)

You have to be a Citizen, not a Subject, and after Oct 26 you will have to have a machine-readable passport (are there any of the old kind left now?)

Someone told me recently that you have to have at least 6 months before your current passport expires too?

Oh, suedonim, just followed a link to this bit:

Please
or

JanZ · 28/04/2004 15:53

If you have a computer readable passport (lots of dots and dashes and >>>

Please
or

juniper68 · 28/04/2004 16:12

phew!! I;m going to florida in July. Which part are you going to triplets? I can't wait to go back, we got married there and been a few times before kids

Please
or

Blu · 28/04/2004 16:55

A colleague of my DP has recently been sent back from the states IN SHACKLES. Her paperwork was all present and correct, but they pulled her in, and discovered that over 15 years ago, as a student, she had stayed 3 months rather than 90 days (overstayed by 2 days). She was kept locked up without food for 12 hours and kept shackled throughout the flight back.

She's a Muslim.....

Please
or

juniper68 · 28/04/2004 17:00

ffs blu that's awful What do they think they're going to achieve with this sort of behaviour???

Please
or

triplets · 03/05/2004 17:12

Hi all,
Sorry I havent been able to get on here for a while. Thanks for the info, our passports were issued last Oct, I am just confused about the whole thing as we travel out on the 11th Oct, back on the 1st Nov, and these new regs are coming into force in between our visit! Travel agents seem none the wiser either!Juniper we are going to Orlando for 13 nights then Anna Maria Island for 8 nights, cant wait, just not looking forward too much to the airport side of it with my impatient trio!

OP posts:
Please
or

triplets · 03/05/2004 17:18

Hi all,
Sorry I havent been able to get on here for a while. Thanks for the info, our passports were issued last Oct, I am just confused about the whole thing as we travel out on the 11th Oct, back on the 1st Nov, and these new regs are coming into force in between our visit! Travel agents seem none the wiser either!Juniper we are going to Orlando for 13 nights then Anna Maria Island for 8 nights, cant wait, just not looking forward too much to the airport side of it with my impatient trio!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?