Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Taiwan - anybody been?

3 replies

Gem13 · 08/03/2004 15:20

DH has to go there on business in a couple of weeks. Would ordinarily be tempted to go too but not right now with a 6 week old and a 20 month old!

Just intrigued to learn if anyone has been there and what it is like.

OP posts:
Please
or

Azure · 08/03/2004 15:43

I was there on business for 3 weeks about 9 years ago. Taipai is an interesting, busy city but with limited sights - enough for two days at most. It is one city where I found it completely impossible to make myself understood to taxi drivers - I carried cards with the destination written down (the hotel, office, etc) and pointed. The people in the office were very nice but general understanding of English was limited. I remember going on an organised daytrip to the coast to see some interesting rock formations (!). There is a great museum. It was fascinating to visit, but I would not consider it a holiday destination, and not for young children.

Please
or

Dickers · 08/03/2004 16:15

I've been a number of times on business and I've got to say it's not somewhere I would go for a holiday.
Taipai is very much a "business" city, with all the normal comforts you get in any normal far east city (ie you can get a starbucks, MacDonalds and all the toilets are western )

If you go out side Taipai, it looks pretty much like the more developed parts of China (if a little bit more sophisticated) the main road to Taichung is just like the M25, but the driving is madder!

Certainly wouldn't take kids there, not from a health and safety point of view, but from a boredom stuck in a hotel point of view.

Please
or

Gem13 · 08/03/2004 20:55

Thanks Azure and Dickers for your responses. Just when I was thinking maybe the grandparents could come too and help out with the children and we could all have an adventure!

Will stay here instead and wait for somewhere a bit more child friendly to come up.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?