Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

any of you well travelled ladies been to dublin??

12 replies

tiredemma · 12/02/2004 16:42

its my best mates hen weekend in 2 weeks ( yippee!) and 12 of us are invading dublin.
has anyone been there and can recommend some good resturants and cheesy nightclubs? ta very much!!

OP posts:
Please
or

musica · 12/02/2004 16:46

Umm, yes, been there, been to a nightclub there -apparently, but that's all my memory. Don't remember going, or where it was/what it was like, but I do remember the hangover! So I would say excellent place for a hen night!

Please
or

Fizog · 12/02/2004 16:51

My dd was conceived there... can't remember any names to be able to recommend though. sorry.

Please
or

WideWebWitch · 12/02/2004 18:57

Lillie's Bordello is a good club I gather but you might have a job getting in, worth calling them I'd have thought and maybe NOT mentioning hen nights! I've been but only remember the hangover too. If you can afford it, stay in The Clarence, best nights sleep I've ever had and v trendy. Haven't been for 4 years so this could be well out of date though. Oooh, I'm envious!

Please
or

Browbeaten · 12/02/2004 19:21

If you stay around the Temple Bar area you'll have plenty to choose from. Haven't been for about 4 years now though.

Please
or

Demented · 12/02/2004 21:15

Dublin is fab, I agree with Browbeaten you can't go wrong in Temple Bar, had some lovely meals but cannot remember any of the names of the restaurants (over four years ago now). The trip was courtesy of my DH's work who had a Dublin office and we stayed in The Red Cow and although it was a bit out of town I do remember it was being very nice.

Have a fab time, would love to go back!

Please
or

hmb · 12/02/2004 21:17

You'll have a great time. There ar loads of eating places and bars in the Temple Bar region. All withing stagering distance of each other! Didn't do any clubs, sorry!

Please
or

susanmt · 12/02/2004 23:12

Would also agree Temple Bar is the place to go. The small places there change names/hands pretty often as far as I can tell from our visits, but always good.
Have a great weekend!

Please
or

vicimelly · 12/02/2004 23:44

I lived over there for a while and would definitely agree that Temple Bar is probably the best area for a hen night, loads of restaurants, and plenty of bars and nightclubs.
Someone mentioned that it might be a good idea not to say you're on a hen night, and I'd agree with this! The bars are pretty strict about hen/stag nights, they don't like the idea of large rowdy groups! lol so probably best not to advertise it as you'll probably find that you wont get into some places.

Please
or

tiredemma · 13/02/2004 08:03

thanks ladies, good to see that it seems almost compulsory to get so drunk that you cant remember where you are!!!

we were going to go out dressed up as playboy bunnies on the saturday night, do you think that this would be a bad idea if they frown upon hen nights. would like to add though that it doesnt matter if we say we are a hen night or not, we will still be loud and out of control!!! ( 5 of us are mothers and only get out about once a year!!)

im so excited!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

BigBird · 13/02/2004 09:43

Emma, it might be an idea to book a restaurant if you want to get a table for 12. There is a place called Break For the Border that has a huge restaurant upstairs, bar on the next level and club in the basement which could be handy as you wouldn't get lost or lose people going from one venue to the next.
Or as already mentioned there are plenty of places in temple bar though some of the restaurants are smaller. I suppose it depends if you want a nice meal or just functional eating

check out www.dublinks.com

Please
or

M2T · 13/02/2004 09:50

I went a few years ago for a weekend. We stayed at Jury's Christchurch hotel that is right next to the Temple Bar area (all the best pubs/clubs).

And that is as much as I remember..... oh and I remember the flight home when I kept having to run to the toilet.

Please
or

carriemac · 20/02/2004 18:35

cafe en seine in dawson street is a great bar!BTW no dublin people ever go near temple bar!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?