Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

mobile home holidays in France -

10 replies

hedghog · 05/02/2004 23:54

I am currently researching a mobile home holiday in the Vendee, France and I'd welcome any suggestions or advice if you have travelled to that region or have experienced this type of holiday. I am currently considering one of the following five campsites: Le Clarys Plage, Les Genets, Acapulco, Sol a Gogo or Le Bois Masson/Dormant. Any reviews out there? I am also interested in your experience of Eurocamp, Keycamp, Canvas, Venue, French Freedom or Camping Life/French Life and, in particular, if your mobile home was in good/clean condition and whether your children enjoyed the Kids Club activities on site? All feedback appreciated. Thanks. Our children are 6 and 9.

OP posts:
Please
or

Twink · 09/02/2004 13:14

I'd just come online to start a thread along similar lines (although our child is 4).

Also, any thoughts on mobile home vs tent ?

Please
or

Crunchie · 09/02/2004 14:15

I've done a mobile home in Carnac, not one of your options, also with a different company (Matthews Holidays). We didn't want kids clubs etc, so it didn't matter. However this type of holiday is fantastic, the kids will love it and you will be able to relax as they will have fun. Last year we went camping in cornwall with a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old and they prefered the tent to anything else. We have just got back from Center Parcs and the 4 yr old said she loved it, but prefered the tent!! The freedom kids can have on this type of holiday is amazing.

Twink if you can face it, go for the tent it is more of an adventure. (and cheaper!)
Check out Alan Rogers for unbiased reviews of particular sites.

Please
or

Coddy · 09/02/2004 14:20

I am gong on someone elses recommendation to the Bonne anse plage in royan with keycamp.they went there last year

My sister reckons:
1 go south of nantes for good weather and to avoid oikey brits
2, mobile homes better with smaller kids for weeing in the night

Please
or

Coddy · 09/02/2004 14:20

Oh and your kids sound the ideal age - apprently int heir opinion key camp are the best

Please
or
Please
or

lilibet · 09/02/2004 14:23

I have sone about 7 or 8 of these holidays both in tents amd mobile homes and I cant praise them highly enough. My accomodation has always been clean and as described, my children have loved the kids clubs and they are a totally fantastic holiday.
I have been to Carnac and the Loire and never to the Vendee tho' but cant imagine there being much difference.

Please
or

Twink · 09/02/2004 16:34

Thanks guys.

Crunchie, I really fancy a tent (we used to camp every year when I was a child) but dh is distinctly underwhelmed by the idea at present - keeps muttering about uncomfortable beds & reckons I've forgotten that even Eurocamp ones are awful but I'll keep chipping away.

The site Coddy posted was one I'd put on my shortlist so it's getting a big tick now.

Please
or

hmb · 09/02/2004 17:03

Went to Le Bois Dormont last year with Canvas. They are not ferturing it in this years brochure. The Caravan was excellent very clean with all the facilites listed. The campsite has great facilities, the kids loved the pools etc, but they are large site and very busy, so not good if you have littlies who go to bed early.

We have stayed with Canvas and with Keycamp. Facilities are great with both, 'vans of a comparable standard. I found the staff at Canvas (on site and in the UK) to be a bit more in the know, and helpful. But that could have been a one off.

If you go to the Canvas website they list holiday reviews by guests, which might help you a bit.

The Vendee is an excellent family destination. Good climate and lots to do for all ages. we are going back this year

HTH

Please
or

Slinky · 09/02/2004 22:17

The last 2 years we've been to Brittany with Keycamp, staying in a 3 bed Grand mobile home.

This year, we've booked to go to the Loire, again with Keycamp. My children will be 8, 6 and 4. Have used the Kids Clubs in the past, and both children have loved them!

Agree with one of the other posters, the amount of freedom children are able to experience on this type of holiday is wonderful! DD1 was quite competent about going to the onsite shop for bread/milk last year - and she was soooo proud of herself.

Get back home and they're confined to the garden again

My friend (who we're going with this year) has been on these type of holidays for years, using Keycamp, Eurocamp, Eurosites, Canvas, French Life and maintains that Keycamp are the better of them all.

Please
or

hedghog · 09/02/2004 23:03

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the info. Availability, particularly for the larger/luxury caravans, is very short for August (yeah should have sorted it months ago) so as far as Operators go it may well be 'hobsons choice'! Keycamp still have a couple of 'Grand 33' Villanova and Supernova homes left at two of the sites I mentioned and Haven have an 'Excellence' left at Le Bois Masson. Eurocamp have one 'Renoir' remaining at one of the sites. Have to make my mind up very soon. Thanks again.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?