Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where can I, DD(aged 5) ,and Grandma stay in London?

14 replies

Finbar · 26/09/2003 21:12

I have checked previous threads for recommendations and a few names came up - but can any of you think of a cheapish, centrally located hotel we could book? The trip up to the Smoke isn't until the Spring, and it's only for one night.....but for once I wanted to get a bit organised!!
Hope you can help.

OP posts:
Please
or

Angiel · 26/09/2003 21:13

I spend a few nights in a hotel in Bayswater before. It was fairly reasonably priced and had lovely views over a park (St James??).

Please
or

Finbar · 26/09/2003 21:16

Thanks Angiel. Can you remember the name?

OP posts:
Please
or

tamum · 26/09/2003 21:50

There's a Travelodge in the old GLC building, I think, near the London Eye and the aquarium, might be OK?

Please
or

pupuce · 26/09/2003 22:01

Tamum has recommended what I would have but it's the Travel Inn at the County Hall- I have stayed there several times, it is good and cheap for London - £60 something. It is recent too so very clean.

Book early though !

Please
or

kmg1 · 27/09/2003 07:30

We stayed in the TravelInn in old GLTC in August - it was great - big, clean rooms, and cheap: c.£80 I think, (cheaper at weekends). And of course you can walk everywhere.

But DO phone and book - we tried to get family room for half term a month ago, and they were full.

Please
or

buzzybee · 27/09/2003 07:47

Try www.totalstay.com
I have used it lots in the past and you should be able to get a 4 star hotel for less than 70 pounds or a 3 star for around 50-60.

Please
or

GRMUM · 27/09/2003 07:54

I stayed with my 3 kids at the Travel Inn at county hall (behind old GLC )last Easter. The room was a good size, clean, beds were comfortable and we had a great time. It was 80 gbp for the room per night. Children under (i think)10 get breakfast free and for adults, although you pay extra, it was definitely worth it. You can fill up for the whole day.Would recommend it.

Please
or

GRMUM · 27/09/2003 07:55

PS I originally went there because I had read so many recommendations on mumsnet.

Please
or

batey · 27/09/2003 08:13

We stayed there too at the end of the summer. Really easy location, cheap, clean, huge breakfasts, kids b/fast free etc. Will definitely go again.

Please
or

Finbar · 28/09/2003 15:17

Thanks everyone - will try and book this fab 'mumsnet' place.

All this AND wondeful comments about Waitrose on annother thread (DH's employer!) - my cup runneth over!

OP posts:
Please
or

tamum · 28/09/2003 16:21

kmg1, that was a fabulously "mumsnet" typo there (GLTC instead of GLC)

Please
or

princesspeahead · 28/09/2003 17:47

finbar, if you want to be more west london than central (or for future ref for others) then the holiday inn express in King Street hammersmith is actually rather nice despite its desperate sounding name! Nice, all wooden floors and duvets - rather scandinavian-clean-modern in feel. Brand new (well about a year or so old). also quite useful to know about if you are Heathrow-ing, as you can jump on the piccadilly from hammersmith, very convenient. About £80 per night with breakfast (less on weekends I think) which strikes me as a complete bargain for a nice safe clean hotel in central london....

Please
or

princesspeahead · 28/09/2003 17:48

ps also very useful if any of you are going to the english national ballet's christmas productions at hammersmith apollo (cinderella and nutcracker) and want to stay the night. book your tickets now!

Please
or

kmg1 · 28/09/2003 18:41

Maybe next mumsnet reunion should be at the TravelInn at GLC (whoops! - thanks tamum - going bonkers!) ... it's obviously fully booked because of mumsnetters!? Maybe we should get them to pay to advertise on here, or give mumsnetters a discount or something?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?