Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Likely start date for Freshers

MadamBuxton · 26/03/2021 13:40

Hi can anyone advise how long freshers is likely to be at the University of York? Assuming a normal year without Covid measures in place. If the official term start date is say 27 September then am I right in thinking the actual start date would be one (or two?) week/s before that?

I’m trying to figure out when we’re likely to be needed to take DS to Uni (if everything goes to plan of course).

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cornishmumofone · 26/03/2021 13:51

Freshers week is normally a single week before the start of term.

Please
or

MarchingFrogs · 26/03/2021 15:07

Looking at promotions for various freshers events, freshers week (some universities prefer it to be called Welcome Week, less in the way of Bacchanalian connotations) would appearvto start on September 20th.

Please
or

TrainWhistleChoir · 26/03/2021 15:11

Agreed, Freshers start a week before returning students start their term, so they start in Week 0 rather than week 1. I'm not sure whether universities have confirmed they'll be doing full on-site teaching from September or some hybrid of face to face and online teaching, so this may factor into your plans.

Please
or

MeltsAway · 27/03/2021 17:34

Once you have accommodation sorted, you'll be given information about the moving in day. This academic year (so September 20), students were given a specific move in time, so as to manage COVID secure move ins. That meant parents had a slot of a couple of hours to park up etc. We're still uncertain about how things will be managed this coming September - it will be determined partly by government policies, regulations & advice at the end of the summer.

But the accommodation move-in date will be the key date for you. It's usually the weekend before FreshersWeek starts. Freshers' Week is the week before scheduled classes start.

Most universities have term/semester dates published on their websites. Here's York's
www.york.ac.uk/about/term-dates/

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.