Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Cardiff University Accommodation Advice

Theimpossiblegirl · 26/02/2021 14:44

Dd is hoping to go to Cardiff to study biomedical sciences this coming year. We're looking at accommodation options. Anyone got any experience of this? She's keen on an ensuite, thinking Talybont Gate or Court. Senghennyd looks well located but shared bathrooms. I think it's a small price to pay for location, but I'm not the one going. We can't find out how many bathrooms are in a 5 person flat, that could swing it either way.
Any shared knowledge/tips would be much appreciated, thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

titchy · 26/02/2021 14:57

Sengenhydd - one bathroom per flat. It's a bit on the grotty side too! As in needs refurbing and has a silverfish problem. But very close to town centre.

The Talys are party central and noisy.

Please
or

avenuekleber · 26/02/2021 14:59

Apparently Senghennyd is known as the 'Ghetto' amongst Cardiff students. Amazing location though. As previous poster said, all the Taly accommodation is pretty good - Taly Gate & Court are more expensive and tend to have more international students. My daughter was in Taly North - had a blast.

Please
or

Smiling89 · 26/02/2021 15:20

If she wants en-suite then Tal-y-bont North. Good location too for the park and the big Tesco - it's where I stayed.

Please
or

sergeantmajormum · 26/02/2021 16:41

DD was in Taly South. Agree party central but flats are big enough to make a large group of friends. No real communal space tho apart from the kitchen table area and the rooms are pretty tiny tho most (?all) en suite, like a wet room.

Please
or

bruffin · 26/02/2021 16:44

Dd was also at Talybont South, she had an ensuite. She is not a big party animal but really liked it there made friends who she is still sharing with privately

Please
or

Bath789 · 27/02/2021 00:29

DS was in Senghennyd Court which was fine, though his room was on the small side. Just one bathroom for the 5 person flat. From memory: one toilet, one shower and two washbasins.

Please
or

CardiffMom · 27/02/2021 00:45

The Talybonts is where it's at!
Taly South is the golden ticket for undergrads, the one everyone seems to want - it's very sociable, all en-suite and the rooms are reasonable size. The en-suites are only wet rooms but really nice to have especially in the era of Covid.
TNorth is slightly cheaper - some of the cheapest rooms are really tiny though, and the walk into town is five mins longer.
TGate is north of Taly North. It's the newest, has big rooms, bigger beds (three quarter I think?) and nicer communal areas in the flat but it's even further away from town. They might even have a TV in the lounge area?
TCourt is middling - single beds still, but slightly more spacious rooms than South or North. More expensive.
Senghennyd is known as Senghetto by Taly residents! Not sure if it's as bad as it's name tho!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.