Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Edge Hill University

PlaysWellWithOthers · 09/09/2015 15:49

Does anyone have any info on Edge Hill?

I spoke to a tutor from there yesterday and it sounded great, offers the course I want and the website looks good too. So I've done a certain level of research already. I was just wondering if, among all the Oxbridge boasting, there was anyone who had been to Edge Hill, or whose DC have been and can offer any insight into what it's actually like from a student's PoV?

Thanks Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sirzy · 09/09/2015 15:51

I went to Edge Hill and loved it very friendly place and the smaller campus made it really nice.

Please
or

Horsemad · 09/09/2015 17:32

A friend of mine went but that was 30yrs ago, so will bear no resemblance to how it is today! Grin

She loved it though, really enjoyed her time there.

Please
or

SecretSpy · 09/09/2015 17:34

I went there a very long time ago Smile when we used to drink at the Loose Moose.

It was good, friendly, easy to get to Southport and Liverpool for nights out.

Please
or

PlaysWellWithOthers · 09/09/2015 19:17

I'm booked for an open day next month, so I'll be able to get an idea then, I hope.

I'm old, so I'm just very excited to be having the opportunity to go and get the education I should have done many years ago, but I do want the right fit for me. The closest uni to me also offers the course I want, has excellent academic results and is in the top 10 in the country, but the course seemed really disorganised.

OP's posts:
Please
or

uniquehornsonly · 14/09/2015 13:51

I have not been to Edge Hill but have dealt with many applications for Master's programmes from Edge Hill graduates. The experience has made me wary of their quality control and/or grade inflation.

In my experience (I make no claims to universal truth), a graduate with a 1st class degree from Edge Hill might be great - genuinely a first-class student - but most are performing at a 2.1 level and tend towards pass/merit level, not distinction, at Master's level. And a 2.1 graduate from Edge Hill is likely to struggle with material at Master's level, which is something we don't normally expect from 2.1 students.

I guess it depends what you want to do with the degree, as I don't know how Edge Hill regarded by employers. But as a stepping stone to further study, I would be wary. There are many excellent universities in the area that could serve you better.

Please
or

IamtheDevilsAvocado · 16/09/2015 09:44

I would agree re grade inflation at edgehill. My (limited) experience of their graduates are similar. I think it's for education... But i think its a former teacher training place isn't it? Please correct me if wrong!

If you have an offer from a top 10 place would seriously consider it! But then also that depends on what degree you want to do and where you want to go.

If you're intending graduate study would go the more academically rigorous place! Just my twopenneth!

Please
or

PlaysWellWithOthers · 16/09/2015 15:00

Thanks, and I agree, having read a bit more, I doubt Edge Hill will provide the academics I will need to progress in the way I want to.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.