Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

General health

'Someone' has eaten uncooked fish fingers...

67 replies

BBInGinDrinking · 19/05/2019 15:15

I have discovered an empty packet of 10 frozen Birds Eye Cod Fish Fingers. Because of who was at home at the time, either a young DC or the cat, or both of them together, must have eaten them. Obviously neither of them can tell me who, but the way the cardboard box is ripped looks like the DC has opened it rather than the cat. I don't know if the DC opened and ate them, the DC opened but the cat ate them, or the DC opened and they shared them. The packet had been out of a freezer for a couple of hours, so would have been softer than frozen, but hadn't yet been cooked. I am worried about the health implications - for example food poisoning, upset stomachs or worse, although I imagine freezing would have killed any parasites and bacteria? - and searching online hasn't provided anything helpful. Any medics or others with relevant experience who can advise please?

Many thanks in advance.

OP posts:
Please
or

BackOnceAgainWithABurnerEmail · 19/05/2019 15:17

They’re already cooked, the cooking at home just reheats then. They’ve been frozen too. If they are sick it’ll be from eating 10!

Please
or

Unshriven · 19/05/2019 15:19

They'll probably be fine.

I'd be more worried about 10 fishfingers festering under a sofa or something.

But..why were you defrosting them? Where was the adult? How clever is your cat?

So many questions...

Please
or

dementedpixie · 19/05/2019 15:20

Why were they out? They cook from frozen

Please
or

dalmatianmad · 19/05/2019 15:22

If your child is old enough to open a packet of semi defrosted fish fingers then surely they are old enough to tell you?

Where was the adult when this was happening?!

Please
or

purplecorkheart · 19/05/2019 15:24

I am guessing they would have tasted so yuck that toddler would have spat them out. Most likely it is the cat or check in toy box under sofa etc.

Please
or

BBInGinDrinking · 19/05/2019 15:24

That's reassuring, thanks, Back. Yes, I'm hoping the cat has eaten all or at least the majority of them!

OP posts:
Please
or

chickensdontpocktheypeck · 19/05/2019 15:27

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

dalmatianmad · 19/05/2019 15:31

Is this a wind up or have you had too much Gin today BB??

Please
or

LizTaylorsFabulousTurban · 19/05/2019 15:34

If the young DC were home alone they can tell you if they ate them? They can't be too young to talk and old enough to be left unsupervised? Weird thread!

Please
or

stucknoue · 19/05/2019 15:35

Even my dog wouldn't eat half frozen fish fingers! But even if they were raw I don't think they would do any harm, they freeze sushi fish to kill the bugs then thaw to eat raw!

Please
or

BBInGinDrinking · 19/05/2019 15:36

I intend to ignore any judgements, overactive imaginations and nasty comments from one or 2 pps. If I had wanted those then I would have posted in AIBU. I posted here because I am seeking genuine helpful replies to my OP, and so thank you to any pps for kindly providing that.

OP posts:
Please
or

BBInGinDrinking · 19/05/2019 15:41

However, for the avoidance of doubt, I can confirm that no starving DCs or cats have been left home alone by any gin-sozzled DMs.

OP posts:
Please
or

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints · 19/05/2019 15:42

chickens you’ve never met my eldest! She ate butter & cat biscuits as a young toddler when chocolate & the biscuits tin we’re both easier to reach.

Gin as has already been put ff are already cooked, you’re only really reheating them at home. I too would be more worried that they’re lurking somewhere.

Please
or

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints · 19/05/2019 15:43

Were not we’re

Please
or

chickensdontpocktheypeck · 19/05/2019 15:44

This place is insane. Why was my comment deleted? Because I said whoever ate them was obviously hungry? Stating the bloody obvious 🤣

Please
or

NameChangeMcgee · 19/05/2019 15:44

Given that someone's dh are fat balls I don't think frozen fish fingers are that much of a stretch! 😂

Please
or

NameChangeMcgee · 19/05/2019 15:45

Are, not are obs

Please
or

Amber0685 · 19/05/2019 15:48

Check the box OP. It should say 'fully cooked' if so they are fine.

Please
or

Hecateh · 19/05/2019 15:53

Apparently, as a young child, I was twice found under the table tucking in
The first time was a packet of butter and the second time a packet of cigarettes.
[I definitely wasn't starving but I have no idea why Grin

Please
or

GetKnitted · 19/05/2019 15:55

I have never seen a fish finger that was cooked before freezing. That would be silly. The fish just cooks really quickly. The cat will be fine having eaten raw fish and probably the DC too, but I would keep a bucket handy for any sicking up that might happen!

Please
or

BBInGinDrinking · 19/05/2019 16:15

I've checked the box and can only find a reference to 'lightly fried' rather than previously cooked.

OP posts:
Please
or

BBInGinDrinking · 19/05/2019 16:31

Online searching before posting, it seemed to have happened to others, either adults by mistake, or DCs - including one making a habit of it. No real information about outcomes though unfortunately.

Growing up, my then-toddler DB apparently ate a worm in the garden, and on a separate occasion downed an adult's drink at a garden party, (spirit and mixer), before anyone had time to react. These stories go down in funny family folklore, but at the time it's not so funny. Hopefully we'll be laughing about this too one day!

OP posts:
Please
or

BBInGinDrinking · 19/05/2019 16:33

Buckets at the ready, anyway...

OP posts:
Please
or

GraceMarks · 19/05/2019 17:10

I don't think a cat would eat something that was frozen, so it was probably the dc! I wouldn't worry too much, but I would also just check under the sofa/in the sock drawer etc and make sure they haven't been stashed somewhere. Otherwise there'll be a very unpleasant smell in a few days' time.

Please
or

BBInGinDrinking · 19/05/2019 17:15

I've looked, but I'd be very surprised if the FFs are lurking anywhere, as I'm sure the cat wouldn't let them go to waste - a big, clever, eternally hungry, serial thief of a beast, and known to work in fairly regular naughty cahoots with DCs.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?