Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Genealogy

Best family tree software

9 replies

WhoAmIGoingToBeToday · 18/05/2020 11:08

I need to sort out a new family tree programme due to a computer issue. The one I had was years old and is no longer accessible so am wondering what to choose.

*I don't need access to Ancestry etc through the software.
*I will be starting from scratch so don't need to be able to transfer an existing tree.
*I'd like to be able to attach photos to records.

OP posts:
Please
or

WhoAmIGoingToBeToday · 20/05/2020 01:34

Anyone?

OP posts:
Please
or

AllMixedUp76 · 25/05/2020 15:15

I love zoompast. It's web-based. Very easy to use.

Please
or

WhoAmIGoingToBeToday · 26/05/2020 01:01

Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

Riv · 29/05/2020 13:45

I use family tree maker. Have for many years. It has a basic version but it’s upgraded easily if you find you need more once you get going.

The data is yours, you don’t keep it on the web, so you don’t have to pay a subscription to the website every so often to keep access to your data.
It’s easy to export the data and upload to sites if you want to, and for relatives to import your data into other programs. You can also import stuff from relatives who may be using other programs - depending on which program! It’s now linked to ancestry, which is one of the most extensive website for genealogy in the U.K.
Down side is it’s a expensive to start with. They do do good deals occasionally though. Especially ones that include a subscription to Ancestry.

Please
or

WhoAmIGoingToBeToday · 31/05/2020 22:59

Thanks @Riv

OP posts:
Please
or

Theforest · 06/06/2020 15:31

Has anyone used RootsMagic? I was waiting for 8, but that is delayed along with most new products.

I am looking for something offline, but allows full searches, custom reporting and research logs.

I use Ancestry with locked down privacy but would like secure off line software to accompany it.

Please
or

Riv · 06/06/2020 17:13

Sorry I have no experience of Roots Magic.
I think family tree maker that I use and mentioned above used to be owned by ancestry. It’s off line but easy to export and link to online trees if you want to at any point. I use ancestry like you but keep my data off line on Family Tree Maker. I have exchanged data directly from my off line tree with relatives with different programs very easily, and can upload to ancestry quite easily. Haven’t tried to download from their site but suspect it would be as easy as uploading.

Please
or

Theforest · 06/06/2020 19:28

Does it have custom reporting? I am finding Ancestry to be a pain at the moment if I want to search my own records for say, births in Plymouth, or people who were Blacksmiths for example - usually if I cant remember who it was. I dont want to add tags on everyone, just to search certain fields or notes.

Also I like when software spots errors like, a father dying more than 9 months before a child was born Grin

I need to evaluate them all really, but I do like recommendations.

Please
or

Riv · 06/06/2020 19:36

It’s a while since I did that kind of searching of my own records- I’ll have a play and report back!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?