My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

If you have a family member in the Royal Navy, RAF or army, find support from other Mumsnetters here.

Forces sweethearts

any one been to Imphal Barracks?

21 replies

pipsqueeke · 17/08/2007 14:01

DH is thinking (strongly) of going there next may, after his course ends. either there or nuneaton. not sure on what they call that camp.

am wanting to know about the local community & also the hosuing (I know th earea as I lived in thrisk for a hiwle so any thoughts would be appriociated)

tia.

OP posts:
pipsqueeke · 17/08/2007 16:04

anyone? it's in york.

OP posts:
Shoshable · 17/08/2007 16:11

friends just gone to York, one got a lovely Quarter the other a tiny one, no room in it at all.

pipsqueeke · 17/08/2007 16:16

ah no worse than here? (we'd be going next may as DH got his retrade for next jan) tbh can't wait to leave this hosue - it's pants! how r u?

is it true that the mil. and councils are mixed up?

OP posts:
Drusilla · 17/08/2007 21:56

Is that the one in Fulford? Know a couple of people who have been there and not heard anything bad about the housing.

pipsqueeke · 17/08/2007 22:15

yes I think so - are the gardens particually big at all/ are the rooms bigish? (we've used to it being crap inside but I like the size of the rooms as they're quite big here. doesn't feel v homely thou

OP posts:
Drusilla · 17/08/2007 23:32

I don't know that much detail I'm afraid - they went there straight after Blandford and said they were much better (but that's not hard is it!). It's an ok area - I've stayed in the Mess a couple of times and you can easily walk into centre of town.

pipsqueeke · 18/08/2007 07:52

thats good - althou can my bank balance take that many good shops so close lol. that's pretty much the move we'll be making- I'd sooner stop in the south but I guess it's only fair to go up there and be an hour from the inlaws for 2 years before going back to the middle again.

(you're right not hard to beat here! lol) our heating system's out of the arch and just about every room has damp in some form or another. apart from DS's and the bathrooom - which they fixed by painting over???

OP posts:
Drusilla · 18/08/2007 13:00

Our quarter in Blandford was held together by thirty years worth of emulsion If you poked the walls you could see the top layer give and then pop out again! I wouldn't get too excited about shops in York - it's not exactly Bluewater, but if you're in Blandford at the mo it's better then what you have down that way!!

pipsqueeke · 18/08/2007 16:10

lol. why have they changed much? (althou I was there some 8 years ago that long.)

our house erm yes is pretty much paint keeping it together in two rooms the celins look like they're going to fall down - can't wait to move. we came from a fantastic 3 bed detached (in wales) with garage to this.

where/when were you here?

OP posts:
Drusilla · 19/08/2007 23:28

We were there from 03 - 05, in one of the 2 beds down Valley Road. Pre DS! Completely un-modernized house, but nice and quiet and looked out over the field at the back

Shoshable · 19/08/2007 23:32

Drusilla we are in Crossway the road leading down to Valley and they are still not much better

Shoshable · 19/08/2007 23:33

And just realised we were there at the same time we came here in 2000 and are still here!

Pipsqueak where are you?

Drusilla · 19/08/2007 23:34

Ooh, I remember it well, had friends in Hillside! We actually had the original stone shelf in the larder cupboard in the kitchen I heard they had knocked down a load of the ones on Racedown?

Shoshable · 19/08/2007 23:42

No Racedown is still there they took some out of College Rd tho, My DH is one of the White Helmets, so we will be here forever (well till he gets out in 2009)

South Cres is being emptied as they are modernising them, they have told us we will have to move to have ours done, don't reckon they will get to us before we go tho the amount of time it usually takes them to do anything, hope not as I'm a CM so will have to have the new place Ofsteded.

pipsqueeke · 20/08/2007 08:24

shosh - I have it from the horses mouth - ie pete the garrison support welfare officer (and apparently in the know) that they only have funding for 140 houses and there's 180 on the patch so unfortuantly 40 will be left. (that is assuming there's no major work to be done) doubt ours will be modernised - apparently ours is one of the more modern ones - althou on SC one of my friends had a new shower and more or less new kitchen which is all being ripped out. also a new CM friend of mine has just moved and ofstead said she didn't have to be re checked - althou her new house is the same as the old one so not sure if you'll need to be re done or not?

03/05 we were in wales - lovely place to go.

sorry was reading about the fetish thread last night and ironing. (DH kicked me off here ) lol.

still hoping to get up to york - althou DH is now making noises about germany - really don't want to go out there jsut yet thou but have a feeling he'll put it down as a choice.

OP posts:
Shoshable · 20/08/2007 08:27

Pipsqueeke are you munz?

pipsqueeke · 20/08/2007 13:18

yes but shhh don't want everyone to know! lol. rl family memebers have caused a bit of trouble.

OP posts:
bottersnike · 20/08/2007 13:24

We were in the MOD housing in Strensall, which is also used as housing for Imphal barracks. It's to the north of York, and while not walking distance into York, there is a very good bus service.
The quality varies, as with all military housing, depending on whether it was included in the latest upgrade. Some bad, some lovely.
We love York; feel free to ask more questions!

pipsqueeke · 20/08/2007 13:29

hello is ther any particuar area which is good that we should bear in mind to ask for (we need pref a big garden) as we have dogs. here we asked specifically for this side of camp and were given it, and althout he layouts are the same the inside finishes are differnet for every house - is it the same there?

is there a med centre shop etc on the camp/are you not on the camp?

my main worry is a) being apart form the masses as it were and b) not having anything going on - for instance when i'm in the mood not to do much we pop to the coffee pot which is fab lots of other wives etc.

OP posts:
bottersnike · 21/08/2007 15:16

Most of the houses in Strensall have huge gardens - what rank is your dh?
There's a lovely community centre on the camp in Strensall which is open to all, with toddler / baby groups, as well as the ubiquitous coffee mornings!
Med centre is also on site.
I don't really know anything about the housing in Fulford, other than the fact that it's closer to the shops!

pipsqueeke · 21/08/2007 17:53

ah only a lowly lcpl! lol. and will be fresh into his trade as well (retrade) so will go back toa class 3 apparenlty still it's what he wants. not fussy about being close to the shops - prob better i'm not is it the same side as clifton moore or the other side?

are the coffee mornings a bit bitchy/hit and miss then?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.