My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

If you have a family member in the Royal Navy, RAF or army, find support from other Mumsnetters here.

Forces sweethearts

Tuesdays redundancy list

20 replies

loubielou31 · 16/01/2012 09:11

DH has come to the decision (I think) that if his name is on the list tomorrow then he will be applying.
We had been planning to leave in two to three years and the extra payout just seems silly to pass up but I'm now feeling quite nervous about it.
How are other people feeling about tomorrows announcments?

OP posts:
bubbaganoosh · 16/01/2012 11:06

hiya!
I'm not sure if DH's name will be on the list but if he opts for redundancy will the pay out be as high? Dh has been in for 6 years and we are in the same boat as you- we are constantly to-ing and fro-ing about signing off...

loubielou31 · 16/01/2012 12:30

Yep, new postings are always unsettling and this is a bigger deal than that. DH is past his pension point so even if he signed off we'd get a payout just redundancy would be a bigger one iyswim. I'm feeling really on edge about it all.

OP posts:
VirtuousVamp · 16/01/2012 12:59

It's a hard one isn't with morale at such an all-time low as well!! Each day DH swings one way and then the other!

If there was ever a career you needed a crystal ball for, it's the armed forces!! If only to know what's happening round the corner of your life!!!

Hope whatever decision you make as a family works out the best for you.
Smile

loubielou31 · 16/01/2012 13:22

It's nice to know it's not just us that seems to constantly be having the should I stay or should I go conversation. (wasn't that a song from the wrigleys advert in the 80s?) We've been having over lunch and then looking at houses that we probably can't afford in a part of teh uk where there is next to no jobs.

OP posts:
bubbaganoosh · 16/01/2012 14:16

ah it's such a difficult one... it will work out one way or the other... redundancy would be best for us so I hope DH qualifies for a good amount..

loubielou31 · 16/01/2012 18:55

I hope your DH is on the list bubba, (and mine too if I'm really pushed to give an opinion).

OP posts:
VirtuousVamp · 16/01/2012 19:24

What service are your DHs? Mine is army and having seen a draft of the list today thinks he's not eligible again! On one hand it means we don't have to worry about compulsory but we had been seriously talking about taking a jump if the package was good! Ah well - hope all works out for you guys. Smile

loubielou31 · 16/01/2012 21:13

My DH isn't eligible this time either. :( Rumour has it that the powers that be know that DE majors in his regiment are all massively demoralised and will probably sign off anyway so therefore don't need the sweetener of a redundancy payout. Grin They may have a point.

OP posts:
VirtuousVamp · 17/01/2012 09:43

Not really bad thinking LoubieLoo!! I can't think of one person who I know is actively loving their army life at the moment - everyone is having some doubts. I can well imagine quite a few past their pension point just leaving soon anyway.

Theeverexpandingrodders · 17/01/2012 09:45

Im waiting for dh too let me know if hes eligble I really hope he is we have decided regardless hes leaving this would just make things slightly eaiser but we are doubtful he will be as hes a pinch point trade

Scootergrrrl · 17/01/2012 09:46

Is the list published online anywhere or do I have to wait for DH to come home from work? He's just started a new job and I don't know his work number - not that we have a house phone to ring from anyway!

Theeverexpandingrodders · 17/01/2012 09:58

not sure scooter it may be on armynet?

Deafworm · 17/01/2012 14:54

What service scootergrrrl? Raf is on airspace, dh logged in earlier to see

Scootergrrrl · 17/01/2012 14:55

He's the green ones - I've looked on the MOD website but there's nothing on there. He'll just wander home soon and let me know, I assume!

Deafworm · 17/01/2012 15:01

Ah sorry if he was light blue I would have asked dh to check. Are you hoping to go or stay? Good luck either way

Scootergrrrl · 17/01/2012 15:08

Thank you anyway. We are definitely hoping to stay, at least for a couple of years until he reaches his next pension point and the children stop costing us quite so much money! He'll hopefully be home soon. What about you, deafworm? Did you get the news you hoped for?

Deafworm · 17/01/2012 19:16

We got away with it again, dh's trade didn't come up and he doesn't have enough time in rank for most of the ones mentioning time even if he his trade had come up.

Did your dh know when he got in? Hope he wasn't eligible.

Scootergrrrl · 17/01/2012 19:41

He escaped, although the conversation went a bit like this..
Me: "So, anything to report from today then?"
DH: "Work, blah, blah, blah, sports, blah, blah, blah, Naafi break, blah, blah, blah......"
Me: "Not on the redundancy list then?"
DH: "No, I'd forgotten that was today."

Hmm

VirtuousVamp · 17/01/2012 19:43

Yup DH definitely not eligible again - shame was starting to think how lovely it would be to be free by Christmas!!Grin. Ah well - we'll keep plodding on! Smile

VirtuousVamp · 17/01/2012 19:43

Scooter - sounds a bit like our conversation. I think we may worry about it more than they do!Smile

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.