Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I have bought an air fryer!

KateLumley · 27/05/2022 15:22

So after much thought I have finally bought an air fryer. I know there have been lots of threads, but I can't find them. You tube videos all seem to be cooking chips and chicken, so I am looking for some recipes and inspiration if anyone would like to share?

It's a double one with 8 litre capacity, the instructions don't have any recipes and it just says don't over fill, but no guide as to what quantities.

OP's posts:
Please
or

GladysEehmmanuel · 27/05/2022 15:24

Best start would be listing what you like to eat.
is it more for energy saving reasons or health?

Please
or

KateLumley · 27/05/2022 15:34

The reason I bought the dual one is because we are a vegetarian/ omnivorous family, so like the idea of cooking in 2 separate drawers. I love all vegetable, and wondered about cooking things like tofu as well.

Also what can I bung in for my carnivorous family when they get in late from work. Definitely prefer healthy food.

OP's posts:
Please
or

GladysEehmmanuel · 27/05/2022 15:40

Can't help with tofu! Veg that you'd normally roast comes out well. For stuff like parsnips that take a while micro first then crisp up in air fryer. Jackets are dead easy same way, micro till soft then blast to crisp up.
Cauliflower florets (chuck in a bag with oil and seasoning to coat first) take minutes and have that lovely nutty charred finish.
Chicken legs, thighs and wings are a doddle too.
Give the basket a wipe with some oil on kitchen paper before doing meat though. Makes washing up loads easier.

Please
or

GladysEehmmanuel · 27/05/2022 15:42

Forget the most important!
you can't do Yorkshire pudding in it.
Dont even attempt it, you will hate yourself and your creations.
You can reheat already cooked ones, lovely just don't do yorkshires from scratch.

Please
or

anitadump · 27/05/2022 15:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

KateLumley · 29/05/2022 09:53

The cauliflower sounds fab. And jacket potatoes are a great idea.

So far I have cooked courgette and sweetcorn fritters which were lovely. Also I did a big batch of roast veg for lunch this week. So far impressed Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

RibNSaucyArseCrack · 29/05/2022 09:57

Welcome to being an air fryer wanker :) you can now look down on every poor soul who had not known the joys of owning one.

I cook pretty much everything in mine! Everything takes 15-20 minutes and it comes out great!

chicken wings
crispy pork belly
herby potatoes
veg peelings to make crisps
any beige freezer junk
stuffing balls for the roast

those are a few of our faves.

Please
or

margotsdevil · 29/05/2022 12:49

Bacon is my surprise hit from the air fryer. Easy to achieve multiple levels of cremation crispness to suit all - just take out as it reaches the correct level of cook and put the rest back in!

Please
or

Fedupsotired · 29/05/2022 13:58

Mine arrived two days ago!
I've made
Cauliflower buffalo wings
Falafel
Hash browns and sausages
I'm loving it already!

Please
or

KateLumley · 29/05/2022 14:15

What felafel recipe did you use please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fedupsotired · 29/05/2022 14:35

@KateLumley I always use this one

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/falafel-burgers-0/amp

I made 13 falafels out of it today, sometimes I get 12 and sometimes 14 🤣.

I cooked at 180 for 15 mins, I think I need a spray oil as they needed to be a bit browner. Less faffy than frying and meant I could get the other bits ready without having to watch them.

Please
or

KateLumley · 29/05/2022 15:56

Yum, thank you. I like felafel super crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle.

This will help me to avoid the temptation of putting beige crap in it Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

KernowGirl181 · 30/05/2022 09:37

Crispy air fryer tofu recipe www.effortlessfoodie.com/air-fryer-tofu/

Please
or

KateLumley · 30/05/2022 16:39

@KernowGirl181 thank you, that recipe looks amazing.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NannyR · 30/05/2022 16:45

Halloumi cheese is fantastic done in the airfryer.

Please
or

KateLumley · 30/05/2022 16:56

@NannyR how long do you cook it for? And do you put anything on it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BadlydoneHelen · 30/05/2022 17:05

Crispy kale as an accompaniment to any Chinese dishes. Mix shedded kale with a bit of salt and sugar, toss with tiny amount of oil (or use spray oil) then cook for about 5 mins at 160C shaking the basket half way through.

Please
or

ShirleyPhallus · 30/05/2022 17:08

Placemarking for ideas!

Please
or

Fedupsotired · 30/05/2022 19:37

BadlydoneHelen · 30/05/2022 17:05

Crispy kale as an accompaniment to any Chinese dishes. Mix shedded kale with a bit of salt and sugar, toss with tiny amount of oil (or use spray oil) then cook for about 5 mins at 160C shaking the basket half way through.

Definitely doing this

Please
or

Roselilly36 · 30/05/2022 19:47

Yay! Well done on your purchase. Absolutely love ours, used it 3 times today, pain au chocolate this morning, sausages for sandwiches for lunch, wedges for DS’ jacket pots for DH & I and onion rings cooked tonight. We cooked a gammon joint yesterday. Roast veg in it. Whole chicken. I really thought it would be another kitchen gadget that gathers dust, but we use it all the time. Wouldn’t be without one now. Enjoy.

Please
or

Mayim · 30/05/2022 19:52

I have been thinking about buying an air fryer and you are all persuading me! I wondered what brands you have?

Please
or

ChurchlightJane · 30/05/2022 20:01

I got the Tower one. I can't even fit two Greggs vegan steak bakes in at the same time. Or Greggs sausage rolls. Useless!

Please
or

reconsidering · 30/05/2022 20:12

I have become obsessed with cheese toasties in the airfryer - nice bit of bread, any old cheese (easy to mix ends), whatever is in the fridge (today red onion, capers, olives & a random mozzarella ball), other days cheese with tamarind or left over curry. Just make the sandwich, put it in the basket for 5-6 minutes and it's amazing.

Please
or

Fedupsotired · 30/05/2022 20:42

reconsidering · 30/05/2022 20:12

I have become obsessed with cheese toasties in the airfryer - nice bit of bread, any old cheese (easy to mix ends), whatever is in the fridge (today red onion, capers, olives & a random mozzarella ball), other days cheese with tamarind or left over curry. Just make the sandwich, put it in the basket for 5-6 minutes and it's amazing.

Ooh I've seen this and thought about it but not got round to trying it yet.

Please
or

Fedupsotired · 30/05/2022 20:43

Me and the children have been out and had some left over chippy chips which we reheated using the reheated button for dh which was a success!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.