Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Films

Murder on the Orient Express

93 replies

NikiBabe · 14/10/2017 19:25

Advance tickets now available. Anyone else planning to see it?

Trailer looks fabulous.

OP posts:
tobee · 05/11/2017 15:51

Certainly there was no glamour.

Hockneypool · 05/11/2017 16:07

I enjoyed the film but felt there was too much of Branagh/ Poirot and not enough of the other characters. For example, The princess and her maid barely said anything. Why have such good actors and not use them fully.

Also Poirot was involved in too much action. That’s not his character or style and it shouldn’t be a action film either.

I think too much action and not enough glamour.

Thetoothyteeth · 05/11/2017 16:14

I don't watch anything with Johnny wifebeater Depp in them.

19lottie82 · 05/11/2017 22:50

toothy you do know that Amer Heard was convicted of domestic abuse too, right? I know two wrongs don’t make a right, but just saying........

Thetoothyteeth · 05/11/2017 22:55

@19 i did not know that! Interesting! Still don't like johnny depp though. Im sure he still has legions of female and male fans regardless, but just me: no thanks

Auspiciouspanda · 05/11/2017 22:55

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it, however this is the first time I've seen a version of it.

Does anyone know if the ending is the same? That's really intrigued me.

marmiteloversunite · 05/11/2017 23:08

I want to see it but wondering if it will make me have motion sickness on the big screen, with the train and moving scenery ?

PrivateParkin · 05/11/2017 23:09

Marmite I don't want to give the storyline away but I'd guess you'll be ok.

marmiteloversunite · 05/11/2017 23:24

Thank you Private. I will definitely try and see it this week.

Trying2bgd · 05/11/2017 23:29

Enjoyable film but agree that a lot of the actors underused but so many of them so hardly surprising!

hesterton · 06/11/2017 16:16

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

missyB1 · 06/11/2017 16:19

I must admit I was disappointed, not glamorous enough, Branagh did not keep Poirot’s character true to the books. There is no way Poirot would have been leaping around getting into fisticuffs!
Shame really.

moutonfou · 06/11/2017 17:01

Agree was underwhelmed. What Agatha Christie does so well is introduce you to a huge cast of characters with such efficient and well deployed character development that pretty soon you know who everyone is, what their deal is, and feel part of the story.

Even though I've seen/read MOTOE umpteen times, I found myself not having a clue who anyone was. Character development was almost absent.

And agree Missy , Poirot is not a physical character at all. Nor is he as antisocial or childlike as portrayed. He's really quite a social man and always making friends in the books.

lizzieoak · 06/11/2017 18:58

Poirot leaping about? Mon Dieu!

I loved Suchet’s MOTOE, it was very dark. And a great cast, very creepy. I liked how Poirot’s Catholicism came into it.

PrivateParkin · 06/11/2017 20:49

moutonfou Do you think it was boring because you knew the ending? I ask because I knew the ending too and even though I did enjoy it, I felt it sagged a bit in the middle - but I thought maybe it just felt like that because I knew how it was going to pan out? Having said that, I knew the ending of And Then There Were None when that was on the BBC a couple of years ago, and I was still in on the edge of my seat throughout...

moutonfou · 06/11/2017 21:27

Yes exactly PrivateParkin, I loved the BBC adaptation too, even though I've read all the books and watched the other TV adaptations, and whenever any of the ITV Poirot episodes are repeated, I can happily watch them even if I know whodunnit.

If anything, I felt the ITV MOTOE was a bit too glum and dark and Poirot was quite judgemental and grumpy in it! But this seemed to go the other way, they'd turned Poirot into an object of fun and a bit of a showman, which he isn't really.

PrivateParkin · 06/11/2017 22:09

Yes that's true - I almost always forget whodunnit so I was wondering if that's why MOTOE was not as exciting as it could have been! It's difficult to match up to Suchet as has been mentioned. Still, that scenery though!

LittleCandle · 06/11/2017 22:25

We saw it yesterday and loved it. KB is such a consummate actor! And I suffer from motion sickness and nearly vomited during the opening flying sequences of one of the LOTR films, but i was fine with this one. The scenery was sumptuous, the acting superb. i really do hope there is a franchise coming from it...

Katanna · 06/11/2017 22:30

I'm going to see it next week, looking forward to it.

tobee · 07/11/2017 12:55

Thanks mouton you put into words exactly what I felt!

Groovee · 10/11/2017 07:18

I enjoyed it. I wasn’t in love with it. But I definitely enjoyed x

sluj · 12/11/2017 09:00

Can I just ask a question which has been bugging Me? I'll try and be cryptic so it doesn't spoil it for anyone.
Why was the "original baddie" on the train in the first place and not in prison? Did I miss something?

VanillaSugar · 12/11/2017 09:30

The "baddy" got away with it. That's why the baddy could continue as a free person. Until.......

VanillaSugar · 12/11/2017 09:31

Nothing will top the Albert Finney version for me. Not even the David Suchet version.

traceyturnblatt · 12/11/2017 09:43

I'm a HUGE Agatha Christie fan and love MOTOE. David Suchet's Poirot is brilliant and I blubbed when he did Poirot's last case.

I thought the film version was good- I don't understand why the changed a lot of the characters, in my opinion don't mess with a classic! But I enjoyed it and it made me laugh at bits too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.