My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Films

Notting Hill is not very accurate is it?

133 replies

SouthWestmom · 06/09/2015 22:35

I mean, in the book shop and they think about how exciting it would be to see a celebrity. And Anna going into some random's house. And then kissing him - I can't get on board with this.

OP posts:
SouthWestmom · 07/09/2015 23:26

Was it Hygge? What colour is it now?

OP posts:
FruSirkaOla · 08/09/2015 07:43

As part of a sightseeing tour, we took some overseas relatives to see 'the door' in NH last year. Neither DP nor I can remember what colour the door is now!

StormCoat · 08/09/2015 10:13

The other thing that struck me this time was how Rhys Ifans' character gets to be 'hilarious' because he's unkempt, funny-looking and has unshakeable body confidence in a film partly about perfect film star bodies/cosmetic surgery/bum doubles etc on the big screen.

But flip the sexes, and imagine Anna Scott is Big Male Sex Symbol romancing Ordinary Bookshop Girl - would Ordinary Bookshop Girl have a Rhys Ifans equivalent? A perfectly happy, conventionally unattractive female housemate who spent large portions of the film in her grubby underwear, flashing her body hair/cellulite about, beaming with delight at how good she looks when papped in said grubby pants, and asking Bookshop Girl if she can 'have a go' off Big Male Sex Symbol?

SouthWestmom · 08/09/2015 15:47

Yes and she would be played by Melissa McCarthy !

OP posts:
SandyMumsnet · 12/09/2015 10:41

The OP of this thread has kindly allowed us to sweep this little gem into Films.

Bambambini · 12/09/2015 18:34

Notting Hill just gets it wrong, something missing and JR character wasn't easy to like. I loved HG as Daniel Cleaver though in BJD, he was perfect in that part.

My favourite cheesy chic flic is The Holiday. Don't know why but just love it, especially at Christmas.

SouthWestmom · 12/09/2015 23:11

I think NH is a bit soulless and with too many plotholes.

OP posts:
Merguez · 26/09/2015 09:21

If you want accuracy watch a documentary.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.