My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Family planning

Coil Removal Question

3 replies

Helga55 · 28/11/2017 09:35

Am booked in to have my Mirena coil out next week, I assume it's a straight forward case of locate the strings and pull it out, but should I take a couple of paracetamol/ibuprofen beforehand? Is it painful when it's pulled out? Will I start bleeding straight away?

I'm desperately hoping the strings haven't disappeared as I'm not great with anything medical!

OP posts:
dementedpixie · 28/11/2017 12:40

Can you feel the strings? I had to have mine out under general anaesthetic as the strings had gone awol

Helga55 · 28/11/2017 13:49

TBH I haven't felt for them, I did have a checkup with a nurse about 3 months ago & she eventually found them and said everything was ok, think she said they'd curled round my cervix or something, so I'm guessing they are still there

Am thinking I'll take some painkillers just in case a couple of hours before my appointment

OP posts:
user071017 · 28/11/2017 20:25

They locate the strings, you cough, they tug, out. I didn't bleed at all after removal but did have bad cramps for a day or two.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.