Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

side effects from copper coil? copper toxicity?

neverlookback · 18/08/2010 20:20

Hi i have posted this in general health too to try and get more lookers!
Im suffering from severe pms, mood swings, anxiety, heart palpatations, headaches that last 3-4 days, paranoia, lots of horrible niggles and i have been prescibed low dose anti depressants to try but i have read about copper toxicity which these are all the symptoms too, When i first had the coil before having my son i had really bad pms, then i forgot about it and had it put in again and im thinking this could be causing me and dp all these problems, im at the doctors tomorrow to have my copper levels checked to put my mind at rest.
Its actually beginning to ruin my life, im desperate to find a way to make it better, has anyone had the copper coil and felt like this and had the coil removed and it has improved??? i would rather have the coil out than be on anti depressants?

thanks for any help
x

OP's posts:
Please
or

neverlookback · 19/08/2010 19:19

bump

OP's posts:
Please
or

Gretascat · 30/08/2010 13:57

Hi
(i have the T 380 copper coil)
Im not a mum, so Im not sure if i should be on here :) but I'm a 35yr old woman with the copper coil and I have some of the same side effects.....Im getting so frustrated about this as my gynaecologist dosnt believe me, she says there are no side effects but here is my list....weight gain (even though i eat less than i used to and excercise), feeling constantly bloated with v sore breasts, very stressed, really really bad pms, mood swings, nearly constant anxiety and to top it all my sex drive has totally dissapeared, which has NEVER happened before...........
so i now feel kinda relieved that im not going mad and someone else has some of the same symptoms......can you let us know the results of your copper test as maybe that's what i need, but ive already decided to have it taken out next month...so hoping my life gets back to 'normal'

good luck with yours and ill post any feedback on here when mines out

cheers
x

Please
or

FrameyMcFrame · 30/08/2010 14:11

Hi neverlookback and Gretascat,

I also have very severe pms, especially joint pains and heart palpatations as well as the more usual mood disturbances.
I had the copper iud for 6 years and had it out when I was ttc next baby. I felt much better straight away and pms symtoms were improved.

Unfortunately since starting my periods again after having baby my bad symptoms are back but I have read that after pregnancy pms can worsen.

I won't have an iud again now and I'm considering trying combined pill now to see if that makes any improvements. Has anyone else got any expierience of this?

Please
or

neverlookback · 30/08/2010 21:12

i had my copper coil out on Thursday so we shall see if i improve, but for the last few weeks i was getting really bad restless leg syndrome when i went to bed at night which i have read can be a side effect of too much copper and i have not had it at all since thursday so its either physcological or it really was the coil! feeling very anxious and moody today but i am due on next week but hopefully by next month i will be better,
still not had the blood results she said they take a while but ill keep posting xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

neverlookback · 22/09/2010 08:42

so its nearly a month since i had the coil out, ive not had the restless legs thing again since, im still a moody cow but i think im managing to keep a lid on it a bit better!!! im having a 2nd blood test today as the lab requested i had it done again, the doctors could not say what the results were of the last one so i think they lost it or something? so this blood test is prob a waste of time as the copper has prob gone from my system now so ill never know if it was the copper in the coil causing all my symptoms which means i dont know if its safe for me to have the copper coil again in the future!!!!
x

OP's posts:
Please
or

nikkershaw · 22/09/2010 08:47

lurking here as have had the coil for 7 years now and am desperate to get it out (waiting for dp to get the snip) had enough of the awful periods but this this is also very interesting!

Please
or

neverlookback · 23/09/2010 11:22

ah, it turns out my copper levels were normal so i cant blame the coil for my horrendous mood swings etc not sure it ill have it next time, i need something that stops ovulation but is ok with migraines. We are trying for baby no 3 as from next month so maybe my pmt will be different after that!! fingers crossed.

nikkershaw: thats a good plan but i dont think my dp would have the snip, but i don think that if you know you do not want any further children that is the best option, after all that women do coping with all these types of contraception not to mention childbirth its the least they can do!!!!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

amalur · 23/09/2010 11:30

I had a copper coil for 8 months last year. During that time I felt very bloated, had more headaches than usual and put on weight even though I was eating well and exercising.
Everyone thought I was 6 month pregnant because my tummy was so bloated.
I had it taken out and I feel much more in control of my body. I have been able to lose weight (with a lot of work) and my tummy is just a tummy now.

Although I haven't been able to find evidence that it was the copper coil, my body knows that it was the cause. My doctor did not question me when I explained my reasons for having it taken out although didn't say it was common or expected either.

Please
or

falasportugues · 28/09/2011 11:46

bump

Please
or

Leo1980 · 21/10/2015 18:03

I have the copper coil. Had it for about 15 months now. I have been steadily gaining weight but in the last 6-8 weeks I have put on a stone which is crazy!
I have had some extremely bad headaches recently which the doctor is investigating and I have a MRI scan in a couple of weeks time. I have also had some mental fog following the headaches. Using the wrong word for things and forgetting what I am saying etc (worse than usual, it's not just the never ending baby brain)
In addition to this I have had an itchy and sore vulva, usually following sex but can last 7-10 days.
Could this all be related to my copper coil? Is this copper toxicity?
I'm a bit of a hypochondriac anyway but the weight gain is out of control and the head stuff is scary. Never had these problems pre coil....
Any comments are welcomed

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.