Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Tell me I don’t need a peloton

OrangeSunset · 01/12/2021 21:39

Very tempted by a peloton. Are the figures on the website one amount for instalments for the bike and one amount for membership of the app?

There are some on eBay barely used.

I like to run and am lucky enough to have weights at home. But I’m not running enough and it’s cold and dark. Therefore tempted by the convenience of a Peloton.

But is it really gimmicky and over-priced?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bellabelloo · 01/12/2021 21:40

Oooh! I'm interested in hearing about this too!

Please
or

LividLaVidaLoca · 01/12/2021 21:45

It’s probably gimmicky and overpriced but we love ours.

Husband rides every day and I aim to.

Anyone saying “just get a bike” is missing the point. When you are incredibly short on time, it’s raining out and you don’t want to get run over, Peloton is the answer to your prayers.

It’s a hefty investment as you pay something like £1500 for the Bike and another something like £40 per month for the membership, but if you use it regularly it’s totally worth it.

There are classes in all sorts of disciplines as well as cycling included, and the range of instructors is huge so you’ll find plenty you gel with.

Honestly, if you can afford it then it’s ace.

Please
or

ReggaeTramp · 01/12/2021 21:45

I bought mine over a year ago in lockdown and have barely missed a day since. Yes it’s expensive but for me, the convenience of having it right there, plus the ability to compete against myself and others motivates me far more than any other exercise bandwagon I’ve jumped on. The variety of classes is also fab - there is something for everyone and a great selection of strength, yoga and running classes as well. So it’s a yes from me!

Please
or

Totalwasteofpaper · 01/12/2021 21:46

You don’t need a pelaton I work with 4 people who bought one NONE are using them now the longest used it regularly for 3 months

Please
or

Totalwasteofpaper · 01/12/2021 21:47

Hit post by accident

I meant to say I also really wanted one! But they have kind of put me off as I feel I can’t justify it

Please
or

minipie · 01/12/2021 21:47

There are some on eBay barely used.

Which tells you…

Please
or

Soulstirring · 01/12/2021 21:48

We love ours. DH bought it for me vowing he’d never go on it. He spins several times a week now and does the weight classes too, it’s been the best investment we made in a long time as we bought Dec 2019 so worth its weight in gold over lockdown. Buy one!

Please
or

NotJustACigar · 01/12/2021 21:48

Please can someone be kind enough to explain peleton a little bit more as I'm interested also. How is it different from a regular exercise bike? And how can you do things like yoga on it?

Please
or

Tandoorimixedgrill · 01/12/2021 21:49

We just got one after I got fed up with the gyms lack of classes (which weren’t anything like pre pandemic levels) and gave up membership.

I wasn’t all that hopeful but just desperate to get active again and I’m loving it. Particularly like the fact you can search by music genre, which suits my husbands love of metal and my love of anything cheesy. I’m finding my output seems higher than gym spin classes too.

Please
or

andadietcoke · 01/12/2021 21:49

I love it. I have the bike and the tread. Had the bike since September 2019 and it's genuinely been life changing. I'd never done proper exercise before and what I've achieved on it massively surprises me. Happy to answer any questions you might have (and share my referral code ; ) - you get £100 off the packages.

There are so many different instructors that there's something for everyone. I have different instructors for different moods. I have very much drunk all the Peloton Kool Aid but I genuinely love it.

Please
or

JingleCatJingle · 01/12/2021 21:49

I am the same.
I think you could get a normal spin bike and use the peloton app.

Please
or

ineedsun · 01/12/2021 21:50

I love mine, it got me through some very difficult times when I was in isolation. Sad that I can’t use it at the moment for health reasons but I’d absolutely say go for it.

Please
or

Itsnotdeep · 01/12/2021 21:50

hmm I use it a lot less now than I did in the summer of 2020 when I bought it. I prefer to go to a yoga class and I also do an online weights programme which isn't a peloton programme. I also have an actual bike which I like to ride when I can. I basically use the peloton now 2 or 3 times a week when I need a bit of aerobic exercise but don't have much time.

Please
or

andadietcoke · 01/12/2021 21:51

@NotJustACigar

Please can someone be kind enough to explain peleton a little bit more as I'm interested also. How is it different from a regular exercise bike? And how can you do things like yoga on it?

It's a spin bike with an integrated screen for classes. You can't do yoga on it per se, but you can get yoga classes as part of your subscription and can either do them on your tv (sky q have an app or you can cast from your bike) or angle the bike screen so you can see the bike screen from the floor.
Please
or

nbee84 · 01/12/2021 23:36

I have a generic spin bike (bought 2nd hand) and use the Peloton app which is only £12.99 a month.
I love the classes - always something to suit whatever mood you are in. There are classes of all different durations so even if you've only got 10 minutes before you jump in the shower you can still fit a workout in. It's great that I can jump on in the morning without brushing my hair or my teeth and there's no one there to care Grin
I've just checked my stats and have had the app for 39 weeks and have done 282 bike classes, 86 bike bootcamps and 161 strength classes!
It's not for everyone though - hence why there are so many 2nd hand ones for sale but so many people get the bike and love it. A friend of mine has one (actual Peloton) and her and her dh did 1 class each last month - at £39 per month membership that's £19.50 per class and that's without the cost of the bike Shock

Please
or

evilharpy · 02/12/2021 00:14

@JingleCatJingle

I am the same.
I think you could get a normal spin bike and use the peloton app.

This is what I have. I'm not bothered about the leaderboards etc so I just have a normal spin bike and use the app on an ipad and have a little ipad mount on the handlebars that I got from Amazon. The bike is an ex gym Star Trac bike that's incredibly sturdy and weighs a ton and will probably outlive me. The app is only £12.99 a month rather than £40 if you have the bike. Same content, just no metrics or leaderboards.
Please
or

emmathedilemma · 02/12/2021 10:10

I would try a cheaper / free version of online classes first. Personally I just don't exercise at home, space is part of the issue but I like home to be home and exercise is outdoors or at the gym. There's something about putting my PE kit on and jumping round my living room that just doesn't do it for me!!

Please
or

NotJustACigar · 02/12/2021 18:46

Thanks @andadietcoke, that's very helpful. In that case I don't think it's for me as I already have an elliptical trainer so coukd maybe just get the app and use it with that.

Please
or

Gingernaut · 02/12/2021 18:51

Tell me I don’t need a peloton

Okay.

You don't need a peloton.

Please
or

sunshinelover69 · 02/12/2021 18:57

Have a look at Echelon - cheaper but essentially same thing with monthly subscription to live or on demand classes. I've had mine since January and I love it. Still use it on top of gym as it's convenient if you only have a little time to exercise or don't fancy going out.

Please
or

Duvetdweller · 02/12/2021 19:03

I’m evangelical about mine. I love it, use it regularly and also do a lot of the strength classes. You can have as many members as you want on the subscription once you have it so the whole family can use it. They have an offer on for a 3 months subscription free at the moment if want to DM me for a code. You can at least see then if you like the format and the classes.

Please
or

hazelnutlatte · 02/12/2021 19:12

I absolutely love mine, I got a cheap spin bike to use with the peloton app at first, then upgraded to the peloton once I was sure I would continue to use it.
To be honest the best thing is really the content- the classes are great, really varied and loads of different instructors and class types to choose from, so I'd recommend trying out the app first (there are strength, yoga, cardio classes and outdoor walks and runs so you don't need a bike to start with). If you love the class content then get a bike - being able to see your stats and the leaderboard is really motivating and fun too.

Please
or

Batshittery · 02/12/2021 19:15

I love mine. I have had it since May last year and have ridden nearly every day. I was not a cyclist before but I bought it for convenience. I also do the strength and stretch classes. My dh uses it but only a few times a week. There is a great community on FB.
If anyone is interested my code 3JMYTU will get you £100 off accessories, and a £100 voucher for me.

Please
or

imnottoofussed · 02/12/2021 19:25

Also have a look at Nordic track treadmills with the iFit membership.

Please
or

EmmaStone · 03/12/2021 13:33

I use the app, we've got an old spin bike that DH bought years ago. If not even really used the spin bike until I got a free Peloton trial during lockdown. Now I'm hooked! However, I can't justify the cost of the bike plus the increased monthly subscription. I've used the actual bike a few times at hotels, and really like the added functionality, but it's not enough to make financial sense to me. If I was having to buy a bike as well, I might consider it, but our bike is pretty solid!

I use it to spin, I've just competed a running outdoors programme to improve my running, and sometimes also do yoga or strength too. I really like the instructors on the whole, and you soon find your favourites!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.