Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

New to walking - pinch blister

zurala · 27/03/2021 14:45

I've started going for walks with a friend, 10-12k and got some Berghaus walking boots second hand. Unfortunately my right little toe is getting crushed and developing a wedge shape which Google tells me is a pinch blister.

What can I do to sort it? I can't afford new boots but I do have wide feet and my toe is so sore after today's walk.

I use orthotics so wondered if I should take those out and wear thin socks to make more room, but I'm concerned about why this is happening as I have never had this issue with any shoes before.

Can any seasoned walkers advise?

OP's posts:
Please
or

DawnMumsnet · 27/03/2021 14:50

We're moving this thread over to our Exercise topic at the OP's request.

Please
or

FelicityBeedle · 27/03/2021 14:58

Look up different ways of lacing your boots, there are ways that receive pressure around the toes but keep them tight and comfortable

Please
or

FelicityBeedle · 27/03/2021 15:00

Toe pain of wide forefoot here may help

New to walking - pinch blister
Please
or

NannyR · 27/03/2021 15:02

Unfortunately, it sounds like the boots are a bit too small. I'm not a fitting expert, but you should have plenty of wiggle room in the toebox, when you are walking your feet may swell slightly and also walking downhill can push your toes down into the front of your boots, so shoes that fit nicely at the beginning of the walk can cause problems at the end of the day.
You could try looking up some different lacing techniques to help the boots fit better - I like my boots laced quite loosely over the top of my feet, but the heel held more securely to stop my foot moving forward - I use something called a surgeon's knot then a heel lock. There are videos on line demonstrating how to do it.

If you've got some well fitting trainers, you might be better wearing those, depending on where you are walking, how much of it is mud and rocky paths versus well made paths.

Please
or

zurala · 27/03/2021 15:46

Thank you. I'll try the different lacing and see if that helps.

I probably need a half size up but that's because of my orthotic insoles and the width rather than the length, so i will try taking those out as well.

The paths are pretty off road and muddy as well as hilly so trainers won't really be good enough unfortunately. But I have really comfy trainers!

I might need new boots but then it will be cheap ones so was thinking it better to see if I could get the pricy ones to fit better first?

Thanks for all the tips.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AlrightTreacle · 29/03/2021 23:23

www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-low-ladies-walking-shoes-187037?google&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGZckgqSzLaAWxTxoE5IfReuX67n0Gm2d6RJbJRh5-rTdjckgQkw5f4aAkluEALw_wcB#colcode=18703702

These are cheap (for walking boots), very comfy and have lasted me a couple of years now. I think a lot of people usually buy walking boots a full size up to accommodate the thicker socks. I just wear normal trainer socks and bought these half a size up, which works for me. If you need to fit orthotics in then it might be worth going up a full size.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.