Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

C25K: Body is willing, but fitness is shite!

TeamEponine · 03/07/2018 05:40

I've started c25k and am just about to start week three. I'm having a bit of an issue in that my body can take it, I don't have any pain and I feel like my body wants to run faster, but I'm horribly unfit. I just feel like collapsing!

Anyone experience similar or have any tips? It's so frustrating holding back so much!

Ta!

OP's posts:
Please
or

AuntieStella · 03/07/2018 08:29

Well done on progress so far! Especially in the heat.

This is where you really need to stick to the programme. Don't be tempted to leap ahead or do more. It's designed to be iterative and build your fitness over the weeks. Just stick with it - I did it nearly 2 years ago and it changed my life.

Please
or

slowrun · 03/07/2018 09:29

You could try Niko Niko running technique. I started a thread on it here:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/3273109-niko-niko-running-technique-experiences

Basically, with Niko Niko you pay attention to running form and pace. It makes running much easier. I went from a total non runner to being able to run approx for half an hour or longer (didn't push myself) on trying this. You can do it in conjunction with C25K if you wish.

Please
or

EmmaStone · 03/07/2018 13:55

Agree with above, just keep going, stick to the programme. Is it your breathing that's the problem? If so, slow down, and try to time your breaths with your strides (I tend to breathe in for 2 and out for 3. Ish).

Please
or

TeamEponine · 06/07/2018 13:15

Thanks all. I guess I just need to keep going! Finished week three this morning and I'm feeling stupidly pleased with myself Grin

slowrun - I actually read your thread when preparing to start C25K, so I'm already trying the Niko Niko technique, although I'm not sure how well I'm doing it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

slowrun · 06/07/2018 15:04

Team, great you've finished week 3! As everyone says just keep going. I always tell myself doing something is better than nothing. It all adds up and you do see progress over time. Smile

Please
or

thurmanmerman · 06/07/2018 15:07

@TeamEponine it takes a while for your heart and lungs to catch up with your legs so don't worry - stick at it!
Every time I have time off running for injury I am really puffing and blowing on my first few runs back.

Well done you! Flowers

Please
or

thurmanmerman · 06/07/2018 15:08

Ooh @EmmaStone I do that as well with breathing - like 1-2-3 in-in-out in-in-out?

Please
or

FATEdestiny · 08/07/2018 11:56

Hello TeamEponine, there's a username I recognise Grin

I graduated from C25K a few months back, having decided that now my youngest started nursery I will use the 3h a day free time I have to get fit and healthy!

As everyone had said above, trust the program and your fitness will build in time.

It's also worth knowing that experienced runners will always find the first 20 minutes or so of a run hardest - that's when the huffing and puffing happen. After the first few KM, you find your stride and run much more easily and relaxed. So don't beat yourself up about psychologically struggling, it's because you're so early into your run and it's normal.

I do three 10K runs a week now and always find the second 5k easier to run than the first 5k. Just know it's mostly in your mind and push through. You can do this 💪

Please
or

UrgentScurryfunge · 08/07/2018 20:05

I started C25k because in the aftermath of post-natal SPD finally clearing off, I was huffing and puffing everywhere. The CV fitness will catch up quickly. I agree about the first 20 mins being tough. I still frequently hate that stage even though I can do HMs!

People often do the early stages of C25k a bit to fast for their comfort level too. Slow down if you can. It makes it easier as the running builds up.

Please
or

TaggieRR · 08/07/2018 21:44

Team- I’ve just started couch 2 5k too- done week 3 run 2 today! Am v scared of week 4! Have you started it yet?

Please
or

ImPreCis · 08/07/2018 22:05

I’m doing C25K now, just finished week five, which was the first time I have run 20 minutes in my life (including at school) and I am more at the age of deciding I need to get fit/lose weight before I look blob like in my children’s wedding pictures!
I am the same as you OP, I don’t seem to have a problem with the muscles, but the breathing is holding me back. I have worked through this by slowing my running down. In fact I don’t think that I am any faster in the initial running sections than I am in the walking. I then find that when I get to the last run I can go fairly fast (in comparison) it seems as though my lungs have warmed up by then.
I have also found that taking a series of very deep breaths in the initial 5 minute warm up helps.
I am shocked that in the space of 5 weeks I have gone from struggling to run for 1 minute to running for 20 minutes! Keep at it, we have not helped ourselves by starting in the hot weather, so we should feel proud of the progress we have made!

Please
or

TeamEponine · 09/07/2018 08:56

Hello there FATE - this is me trying to finally shift the "baby" weight, which is thoroughly depressing given that DD is soon to turn four Blush 10k is very impressive!

I did the first day of week four this morning - my first time running five minutes! However, I can slightly see what you mean about the first bit being the hardest. After the first five minutes I thought I was going to collapse, but the last couple of minutes of my last five minutes was almost bearable!

I'm actually quite pleased with myself so far. It is hard work, but I'm doing it. I get up early, before DD wakes, so it isn't too hot. Not sure I could do it later in the day when it is hotter.

Just keep jogging, jogging, jogging...

OP's posts:
Please
or

FATEdestiny · 09/07/2018 19:05

I had 7 1/2 stone of "baby weight" to lose. 6 has gone so far though, so getting there.

Well done on getting out there to do W4R1 today, you're getting to the most exciting part of the whole C25K program, so don't give up! W5R3 is when it all changes, that is "The Run" when you start feeling like a proper runner.

Please
or

TeamEponine · 10/07/2018 13:21

Wow, FATE, that's so amazing! Well done. Looking at week five does feel a little intimidating at the moment, but people keep just telling me to trust the programme, so that's what I'm going to do.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences. It really is helping me to see that what I am experiencing is typical, and that I just need to carry on. Otherwise, I'd possibly just think that I'm too unfit and not doing it right, and then give up.

Flowers

OP's posts:
Please
or

Goldenbug · 10/07/2018 22:32

Every week I felt there was no way possible to do the next week. Each time I tried I managed it. If you can't do it, just repeat the last week and try again.

The breathing I had real problems with. I'm now at the end of week 6 and I'm no longer fighting for breath. The biggest problem I have now is boredom!

Please
or

FusionChefGeoff · 10/07/2018 22:40

Slow down!!

Use an app to measure pace eg Strava / Map My Run.

When I looked at an achievable half marathon pace after I'd slogged my way through C25K it was approx 12 minutes per mile and I'd been trying to run at 9.5/10 minutes - it was sooooo much easier when I slowed down!!

Please
or

TeamEponine · 13/07/2018 08:46

Oh, I'm really not running fast - I don't think I could if I tried!

I did the first day of week 5 this morning. I'm starting to see what people say about the first part being the most difficult. I'd not go as far as saying the last section of the run is easy, but it is certainly a different kind of difficult. Difficult to explain, but I feel like I'm getting there.

However, middle of next week I will be doing w5d3, which is the first "long" run. I still can't imagine running for 20 minutes straight, but as people keep saying, I just have to trust the programme!

OP's posts:
Please
or

FATEdestiny · 13/07/2018 16:52

I cried actual tears upon finishing W5R3. I cannot stress enough how significant that run is. From someone who could bearly run, to a "proper" run in less than 6 weeks. It's an awesome feeling, you will get it - everyone does.

Please
or

dangermouseisace · 13/07/2018 17:26

teameponine I did C25K after having nearly a year off due to injury. Prior to that I was running 18-20 miles in one go and feeling fine. I’ve been running for years and years.

I found C25K hard, had to repeat some weeks, and like you thought I couldn’t do 20mins continuously! I remember finding running for 7 mins hard. It’s completely normal to find C25K challenging. You can do it though, and in a few months time you’ll be flying! Keep at it!

Please
or

TeamEponine · 16/07/2018 05:42

Ok, tomorrow is w5r3. I'm not sure I'm physically or mentally ready for this! Any hints?

I'm also struggling with getting bored now I'm starting to do longer runs. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your support on this Flowers

OP's posts:
Please
or

ItsalmostSummer · 16/07/2018 05:57

Just keep going. I did the same thing last year and really enjoyed it. I remember pushing through the running for 5 mins and running for 10 mins etc. I have started again this summer and found that I can still run for 20 mins as I learnt with couch 25k last summer, but I remember too how much of this stage is psychological! My advice is just keep going. If you need to run somewhere different go for it. I think too maybe you just need to reach that point where you just run and keep running without thinking about it. That will kick in soon, and I think with that your boredem will pass. So keep going.

Please
or

squiggletea · 16/07/2018 22:32

Absolutely-Keep going, you’re doing brilliantly.

20 minutes is long enough to find a rhythm .

Keep it slow and enjoy 😊

Please
or

catlover1987 · 16/07/2018 22:38

I seem to be the opposite to most people - I'm on week 4 and finding the breathing fine, but my feet are in agony. If I could get on top of the foot pain, I feel like I could run for much longer.

Please
or

B1rdonawire · 16/07/2018 22:52

Music or audio book to stave off the boredom? Vary your route a bit maybe? I have recently finished the programme so am out in the world without Sarah Millican telling me what to do Grin I have a playlist timed for the 35mins (warm up walk then run) and I've chosen cheesy songs that keep me going. You can do it for the twenty minutes, just keep going, you'll be great! If you wobble try and focus on why you're doing it - for example I'm at risk of a family health issue, so I sometimes visualise myself physically out-running that illness...and now that I write it down it sounds nuts! Works for me though.

Please
or

JohnnyKarate · 16/07/2018 22:59

@catlover1987 you may need running shoes with supportive arches if you haven't already got some. Getting fitted with proper running shoes that stopped my feet rolling in did wonders for my feet and shin pain.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.