Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

YOGA

mswindsor · 03/05/2015 15:27

Ive been practicing yoga recently and have benefitted massively from this - in terms of my mind, my body, my attitude and much much more.

My children are late teens / adult now, but I would like to hear from mums with younger children, or even mums-to-be, whether they have ever tried yoga or practice regularly, and how it makes them feel.

Your thoughts may help me decide on a new life direction into yoga teaching.
Please share your thoughts with me

OP's posts:
Please
or

ItalianLemons · 03/05/2015 18:03

I'll let you know after my first ever yoga class on wednesday!

Please
or

drinkscabinet · 03/05/2015 18:08

I am just going back to yoga after stopping when my first DC was born. I've really missed it, it's really calming and I loved when I was pregnant that I could keep doing it (I had a fantastic incredibly experienced teacher who adapted her class so I could still do everything and feel like I'd had a good workout and wasn't limited by being pregnant).

Please
or

MrsMook · 03/05/2015 20:36

I love yoga and used to go to a class frequently until my yoga teacher became unavailable when Ds1 was little. I went to a pregnancy yoga class in Ds2's pregnancy which was useful with my SPD and for birth preparation. These days I just use DVDs as I struggle to find time for classes. My DCs are the wrong age for a postnatal class - good for adding resistance to a plank though!

Please
or

mswindsor · 03/05/2015 23:05

Im always excited when I hear that someone is going to yoga for the first time. Im alway hoping that they "get it".
It really is the most amazing time.. Please let me know how you get on.
It could be your 'Thing'...

OP's posts:
Please
or

mswindsor · 03/05/2015 23:07

May I ask.. how did yoga make you feel once your class finished?

OP's posts:
Please
or

mswindsor · 03/05/2015 23:07

What was the best part of your practice?

OP's posts:
Please
or

chickydoo · 03/05/2015 23:10

Hi
I've been practicing yoga for 25 years, teaching for 15.
Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Please
or

AggressiveBunting · 04/05/2015 03:08

I do Ashtanga once a week, basically as a way to improve flexibility which suffers from my running- c 50k pw, HIT and lifting. My DC are 5&3. I really enjoy it and it does make me more relaxed. I'm not at all into the spiritual side of it though (not to insult anyone who is- it's just not for me) so I tend to go to classes where the teacher is less that way inclined.

Please
or

shakemysilliesout · 05/05/2015 09:37

I try and get yoga but struggle! It takes up time and money but I don't get the instant calorie and endorphin thing I get From other work outs. I know I will burn calories and gain flexibility cos it's so hard but I struggle with it. Classes cost £10-15 here which is a lot. I expect the earth for this price!

Please
or

mswindsor · 07/05/2015 23:41

Hello Italian Melons... how did your first yoga class go?
Did you enjoy?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Follyfoot · 07/05/2015 23:44

I loved doing yoga and found it very calming afterwards. Unfortunately it really aggravated my SI joint problems Sad

Please
or

mswindsor · 07/05/2015 23:44

Its difficult to get to a good class with a good teacher sometimes. I find that the podcasts and youtube clips are great - when you cant get out to a class or youre short of cash. £10 - 15 is OK if its a couple or three hours. Here in Cheshire I attend workshops with CallieYoga... if you are ever in this neighbourhood I can recommend. Beautiful teacher and beautiful classes.

OP's posts:
Please
or

mswindsor · 07/05/2015 23:47

May I ask - did you go to an Ashram ? I have been considering taking myself off to India ...

Im attending the OM Yoga Show - in Manchester 15 / 16 and 17 May. Im really excited. I went last year and did several workshops - some are free- very public - but it doesnt matter...

OP's posts:
Please
or

ItalianLemons · 08/05/2015 00:00

I'm sorry to say I had to cancel tonight's class, daughter been off sick all week, so priority was spending time with her of course. I am booked in for next Wednesday night and will go to that. I know nothing about it and wonder how it differs to Pilates (which I do the ten minute solution DVD)

Please
or

SummerHouse · 12/05/2015 17:14

Love it. If I have a good class I feel like I am floating. And not really capable of complex conversation. It got me through my most difficult time in my life. Its not just yoga but everything it stands for and that goes with it. Meditation, focus, positive thinking.....

Please
or

Grohlsgirl · 12/05/2015 20:24

I discovered yoga (in every sense) properly last year, and it's become my way of life. I'm a better parent, a better partner and most importantly I finally understand how to look after myself in a truly nurturing way. I also went to the Om Yoga Show last year but must confess I'm turned off this year by the "Doga", "Yogging" and other novelty stuff - I think yoga is great when it's simple and not gimmicky!

I also have a small child (3) who adores joining in with me, but might also be the reason for occasional lapses in my regular practise (this too shall pass!)

Please
or

AlwaysOneMissing · 13/05/2015 14:20

I have limited experiences of yoga but I feel massive benefits when I do go. I feel like I'm walking on a cloud when I come out! It loosens all my stiff joints and helps my bad back.

But I don't go regularly mainly because of the cost (running is free!) and because I like to see quicker results to spur me on.

Please
or

SwivelHips · 19/05/2015 21:27

After running, spinning, weights for over 20 years I fell into yoga recently. It has been life changing. I do iyanger, a must for my post pregnancy old body and hot yoga, mainly vinyasa flow. It has impacted so many areas of my life in a positive way. DH is now also a fan and has given up Insanity etc. I do yoga nearly every day, find self practice bit hard still but getting their and having mad urges to meditate EnvyEnvyEnvyEnvy love it

Please
or

NameChange30 · 19/05/2015 21:36

I love yoga, I do hatha yoga and I like the balance of movement, holding poses (but not too long) and relaxation. Hard to describe how I feel afterwards - more "in touch" with myself, my body and my feelings (if that doesn't sound too weird). Most of the time I feel calmer and not exactly happy, more content I would say - accepting things as they are. Does that makes sense? It also feels good to do something to take care of my mind and body. I don't have children but I imagine that feeling would be even more precious if I did!

Please
or

CoteDAzur · 23/05/2015 18:30

I thought you all might like to know that MNHQ has agreed to create a Yoga topic. Come & join us on this thread if you would like to be informed when it becomes active Smile

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.