My feed

to access all these features

Here you'll find divorce help and support from other Mners. For legal advice, you may find Advice Now guides useful.


Council house

5 replies

Beauty30 · 07/02/2018 22:37

Hi everyone, I am very new to this platform and will really appreciate you any contribution from you guys.
I have been married to my ex for almost 15yrs with 3 kids but we have lived together for 7yrs and separated for the last 7years. I had to leave him and moved out of the house 7 yrs ago due to a very abusive marriage. He used to torture me mentally by calling me names and constantly reducing my self esteem to 0% and bully me in the presence of my kids. While we were together we had a joint tenancy council accommodation but when i left he was in arrears with his rent so I get calls about rent due and payments from council. This made me took my name off the tenancy.
I have been living privately for 7years while he has been living alone in a 3 bedroom house for 7 years but I just cannot do it anymore, it's just too much for me as he does not pay any maintenance for the kids. I want the council home back as i but without him in the house.

Can anyone help please.

OP posts:
rose69 · 08/02/2018 00:50

Try your local council's housing department. Good luck

Pixiedust1973 · 08/02/2018 00:58

I know someone who did this. Seek advice from council or CAB. It is possible!

Beauty30 · 08/02/2018 19:13

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

OP posts:
fleshmarketclose · 08/02/2018 19:19

Did you have a joint tenancy? If the house is in joint names you could discuss with the council terminating a joint tenancy with a view to you having the house under a single tenancy. If the council don't agree to you having the house under your single tenancy then you terminating a joint tenancy would see him evicted from the house if the council didn't agree that as a single person he needed a three bedroom house Wink

Beauty30 · 08/02/2018 20:07

@fleshmarketclose ......Well, it was a joint tenancy initially but it is now in his sole name. The council have informed me that they cannot terminate his tenancy that I will have to get a tenancy adjustment order from court before they could change the tenancy to my name.

I have spoken to a family lawyer who assured me that it is possible for the court to do that but it's very expensive... but I think I will just have to look for the cash and get him out of the house.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.