Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Egg each other on into Getting It Done?

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 02/01/2020 10:40

Who fancies a mutually supportive nagging thread?

I have a professional niche and have become good at speaking publicly about it. Publishers have been in touch to ask if I'd consider writing a book.

Naturally, I have notebooks and scribbles which were always destined for a book - I've just done nothing with them!

I want to have the thing drafted by the end of February.

Anyone interested in joining in?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Siablue · 02/01/2020 10:44

I would like to join. I am writing a book at the moment. It is due to be handed into the publishers at the end of August. I have made a decent start on it.

I think you are very ambitious to want a draft by February but sometimes a tight deadline makes you get things done.

Please
or

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 03/01/2020 13:08

I know!

It's been thought about for years - I just need to get the damn thing down on paper and stop procrastinating. It's drafted in my head, but, that's not any good!

I'm away with work in February a lot, so I'll have time in hotels at night with nothing to do - if I can work my way through the box of notes this month and rattle my way through it...

If I don't use the time I have coming up it will never happen.

You have to have the whole book done by August? when did you start?

OP's posts:
Please
or

themental · 04/01/2020 15:54

I'll join if you want some accountability 🙂

I have three to publish within the next month.

A 50k novel I'm halfway there on.

A 50k novel I've not yet started.

And a 20k novella started yesterday, that's 4k done.

Please
or

Siablue · 04/01/2020 22:13

Vivarium I started in September. I have got 2 draft chapters and there will be 10 in total. I have outlined the whole thing. It is a non fiction book so a bit more predictable than writing a novel.

The mental that is seriously impressive. I am amazed that that is even possible. How can you publish all that in one month are they kindle books ? You are getting them out very quickly.

Please
or

themental · 05/01/2020 09:50

@Siablue this is my job so I guess the only secret is bum in chair for hours 😁 also it's not lit fic, I write escapist genre fiction so there's no research involved, just stories.

Yesterday I got:

Book 1 to 27.5k (2.5k)
Book 2 to 500 (500)
Book 3 to 5k (1k)

I am so ready for the schools to go back next Thursday! I'm a single mum so having to slot in writing in fifteen minute bursts. Next week will be better!

Please
or

darkriver19886 · 06/01/2020 08:43

Me, please.
I live alone but get easily distracted by gaming etc. No one to motivate me.
I don't work so I should be writing all the time.

I am 12K into my project. Aiming for 80K

I have got snippets of my second

And I am thinking of others.

I am going to get in the shower and then get started I think.

Please
or

cheesenpickles · 06/01/2020 13:05

Me please! I had the brainwave of writing a chick lit novel over Christmas and my family is insisting I do it. My day job involves writing but not like this so happy to take the outlet. I've planned a lot so far but wary to get started on the behemoth that's is 80kish words.

Please
or

themental · 07/01/2020 21:50

How is everyone getting on?

3800 for me today but I'm going to try to make it to 5k before midnight. It's like pulling teeth today with the schools still being off and my oldest is still very much awake.

Who needs three weeks holiday 😂!!

Please
or

pintofperrier · 08/01/2020 02:15

Managed my first 1,000 which were two completely unrelated parts but I thought I'd just "get it out". Spent the whole day writing for work though so not sure how I'm going to manage the screen time and aching wrists. Confused

Please
or

DangerMouse17 · 08/01/2020 02:22

Me pls! I have 4K down already but need to get my arse in gear this month Brew

Please
or

JustMyName · 08/01/2020 02:42

I have several ideas for books that I keep jotting down and really want to get started, but am putting it off because I've no idea where to start. I need to just sit down and make a start!

Please
or

AmbitiousHalibut · 11/01/2020 18:34

Please may I join you? I have around 30k written but haven't looked at it for a long time and really want to get it finished this year. At the moment it feels daunting to re-engage with the characters and plot - I can't work out how to physically get hold of it all again, if that makes any sense - but I'm determined to get on with it. All tips / prods gratefully accepted!

Please
or

themental · 13/01/2020 06:50

@ambitious I would just reread in one sitting and promise yourself that you'll write 1000 words after it. Even if you know they are utter rubbish and will never be used. I often do this, and some days I don't think I would ever get anything written if I didn't just accept the fact that they will be crap and can be fixed later 😁

Update. I finished book 1 at 60k. I started editing, it'll be ready to publish mid-week I am just waiting on the artwork coming. Also a bonus scene for a newsletter magnet, should only be a couple of K and not take too long.

Book 2 is still sitting at 1k since the words were flowing so easily on Book 1. I'll start that properly tomorrow I think.

Book 3 the novella is at 8k. Not sure when I will finish this as it's for another pen name that's more just for passion projects and not a main earner. We shall see.

How is everyone else getting on? Almost half way through the month! Are you getting closer to your goals?

Please
or

JustMyName · 14/01/2020 00:18

That's good themental Smile

I managed to make a start at last, I've only got 3500 words, but just glad to be writing it down now.

Please
or

NotALurker2 · 31/01/2020 20:51

"Who fancies a mutually supportive nagging thread?

I have a professional niche and have become good at speaking publicly about it. Publishers have been in touch to ask if I'd consider writing a book.

Naturally, I have notebooks and scribbles which were always destined for a book - I've just done nothing with them!

I want to have the thing drafted by the end of February.

Anyone interested in joining in?"

Me! Me me me me me!

Please
or

Nogoodwithgoodbyes · 08/02/2020 12:46

This is a wonderful idea for a thread. I’d love to join, please. I have been writing poetry and stories for many years and have decided that 2020 is the year I will commit to writing every day and get something (however modest) published.

Please
or

Nogoodwithgoodbyes · 16/02/2020 08:20

How’s everyone getting on? I need to get back on the horse as work has taken over this past week.

Please
or

MaybeDoctor · 06/04/2020 09:55

Interested here - also writing non-fiction. Draft nearly finished but I have been procrastinating about the polishing/editing for ages!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.