My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for discussing cots and beds. We've spent weeks researching and testing newborn beds in real homes with real families.

Cots and beds

Which crib/moses basket/newborn bed would you recommend to a new parent?

92 replies

TinaMumsnet · 29/11/2018 10:26

We're making plans to test and review newborn beds and we'd love to know which ones you'd recommend.

The first 6 months of a baby's life can be a challenging time for everyone involved, I'm pretty sure we can all agree getting some sleep really helps!

If you've used a newborn bed/moses basket/crib that you'd recommend, we'd love to hear about it. Your comments will help us to create a shortlist of beds to test and recommend to new parents.

Also, if you have any tips on what to look out for when choosing a bed for a newborn, please share them on this thread. We'll include these comments in our buyer's guide

Thanks!

OP posts:
barnconversion5 · 30/11/2018 00:06

Tutti Bambini Cozee

• Looks great
  • Amazing customer services (sent me a replacement mattress no questions asked when I used the wrong sized sheets on it and the corners warped)
  • Much larger than Moses baskets/ other bedside cribs so will last longer & long enough to fit a sleepyhead/sleeping bag easily
  • Portable - so quick & easy to take down that I also take it downstairs for naps
  • Height adjustable (can do one or both sides) ideal for colic/reflux etc or having baby at same height as your bed
  • Handy storage shelf underneath e.g. spare blankets during the night

LOVE IT!!
DioneTheDiabolist · 30/11/2018 04:10

I recommend getting a second hand moses basket and newborn crib, buying new mattresses of course. They are in them for such a short time.

Save your money. Help the environment. Buy second hand.

Doublechocolatetiffin · 30/11/2018 09:18

I have the Knuma Huddle and have been really pleased with it. It was one of the few that came up high enough to go next to our bed. It’s miles better than the Moses basket we used with our first and I’m still using it at just gone 6 months so it lasts! Once we’re finished using it as a co-sleeper it will turn into a desk so we can continue using it for years to come.

owlofathena · 30/11/2018 09:24

Comfort baby 7in1. Fir the first 9 months we used it in its smallest setting as a circular cot and used the other parts as a changing table. Then when dd out grew it we made it into the larger oval cot which made the transition easier

ZackPizzazz · 30/11/2018 10:33

100% of my babies preferred my bed, so I wish I hadn't bothered tbh. For travel and moving around the house I had a secondhand Moses basket and a soft Phil and Teds Cocoon.

jennymor123 · 30/11/2018 10:45

As a general recommendation, don't buy an upholstered child mattress/crib etc from a UK company. This is because it will be stuffed full of toxic flame retardant chemicals which are very damaging to a baby's health and development. Buy over the internet from companies based in the EU because they do not have our over-stringent flammability laws (which don't work anyway, believe it or not).

Bp2boys · 30/11/2018 11:26

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LisaSimpsonsbff · 30/11/2018 12:04

We found our Next To Me a lifesaver - we bought it second hand (then bought a new mattress) when DS decided aged about 8 weeks that he Would Not Be Doing with the Moses basket any more. It's worked brilliantly for us - but am nervous about transitioning him out of it (he's nearly 5 months now)! Would definitely recommend buying second hand - good quality new mattresses can be got for a lot less than the difference in price between old and new and they're not something that gets much damage from use.

MamaVV · 30/11/2018 15:53

Co-sleepers are the way forward. Would be good to properly test these on a variety of beds tho. Lots of them don’t work on certain beds eg super king, divan type, beds with storage bases. Difficult to find this info out before you actually buy the cot, put it together and then attempt to attach it to your bed!

HMBB · 30/11/2018 17:09

We had a troll bedside crib from John Lewis which was fab. It was much more spacious for my daughter than a Moses basket. She slept in it at night right next to me but in her own space and I could just reach over to feed her without getting out of bed and so we all slept better. During the day she slept in her own room in her cot so it was an easy transition in to her own room at night when she was 6 months old.

Hey don't make this exact one any more but I would definitely recommend a bedside crib for ease of use, easy reach, peace of mind and I felt we all slept well (considering how loud babies are!)

MarshaBradyo · 30/11/2018 17:15

We had the Snuzpod which was great
But we’ve packed it away now so it’s wuite a lot of £ for a short time
Still it was worth it

RockinRobinTweets · 30/11/2018 19:12

I used a cot bed from day 1 this time with a mattress from IKEA. Sleep has been good (as far as newborns go!)

minipie · 30/11/2018 19:15

Sleepyhead

I don’t know whether they are still deemed safe for night sleeping but it was when I had DD2 and was a godsend. Wish I’d had it for DD1.

Banksy13 · 30/11/2018 21:10

Bednest all the way for both of mine. Hired first time then bought second hand for DS2.

MooChops89 · 30/11/2018 21:46

I've got a Babylo Cozi Sleeper, exactly the same as the Next2me but loads cheaper. Can still raise/lower one end (not that I've needed to) and it's got the mesh sides. We have a kingsize divan, the Cozi Sleeper is pretty stable so we've never attached it to our bed and had no issues

ruthieruthuk · 30/11/2018 23:25

Chicco next2me crib.

We have two, one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

Lasts longer than a Moses basket
Comes in a range of colours
Fold up into a provided travel bag for holidays, etc..

However:

Not as portable as a Moses basket and difficult to move around the house.

Seafoodeatit · 01/12/2018 09:09

We had a snuzpod (which I'd really recommend) for our room and a Moses basket for downstairs in the daytime, Moses baskets are all the same so no point in recommending a specific one, if anything I would say buy one as cheap as possible as lots of babies like DC1 who refuse to sleep in them.

AlyssaRowntree · 01/12/2018 09:30

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Eminybob · 01/12/2018 09:41

We just have a bog standard Moses basket from mothercare. Bought it for ds1 and now reusing it for ds2 (with a new mattress)
It’s easily portable so just have one for upstairs and down, and we have a rocking stand which is handy for settling.

MattRess · 02/12/2018 18:45

I'm a little surprised. jennymor123 made an important point about the dangers of chemicals in UK child mattresses and everyone's ignored it! As my username suggests, this is an area I know a lot about and there is indeed cause to be concerned about the toxicity of flame retardants in UK mattresses (and sofas). Women take great care to not drink alcohol during pregnancy but there is plenty of research to show that flame retardants get into mother's blood, then into the baby, and can do more damage than alcohol. But it seems like nobody wants to talk about it!

MiriAmmerman · 02/12/2018 18:54

Chicco Next 2 Me - we absolutely loved it.

We had a Little Bird Moses Basket from Mothercare which was great too, but our chunky DS outgrew it in 5 weeks. We loved the longevity and flexibility of the Next 2 Me.

MattRess · 02/12/2018 18:55

See?

LisaSimpsonsbff · 02/12/2018 20:18

MattRess I guess the question is what you do? The PP mentioned buying EU mattresses online but if you don't know what you're doing/looking for that feels a bit intimidating - I'd be worried about accidentally buying something that doesn't meet safety standards in another ways. I think most of us trust that products sold in accordance with the safety standards set down in UK law are safe and that trying to circumvent them feels risky.

WhippettyWeekend · 02/12/2018 21:46

@Mattress I think that a lot of people post their own reviews/recommendations without reading other posts, so it’s that rather than ignoring.

I didn’t know about this and wish I had done. Do you know, Is it a case of buying the same product but from an EU supplier? For e.g. would the Chicco Next2Me be treated differently depending on whether it is produced for sale in the UK or elsewhere in the EU?

MattRess · 03/12/2018 09:18

Lisasimpsonbff

Fair point. And part of the reason people in the UK are generally ignorant of this issue is because government, colluding with industry, has kept us that way. It's very different in the US and rest of the EU where parents are well up to speed on the dangers of flame retardants; therefore they don't have them in their sofas/mattresses.

Here, there is a bigger problem in that the UK government - Department for Business - actually proved 4 years ago that the flammability regulations don't even work! Which means we're putting our children to sleep and letting them play on products that are toxic and don't even prevent a fire from taking hold. In fact, they make the fire even more toxic. Now, of course, there is plenty of interest in making sure the public doesn't find out - apart from massive losses to the chemical industry, the government will have to explain why it hasn't acted.

What can you do in the meantime? Well, you could go for organic mattresses and sofas but they are expensive and the owners often cheat anyway. Or you could buy from outside the UK. The Germans and the Swedes are particularly against flame retardants, for example. Try websites/ask them what's in their products.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.