My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for discussing cots and beds. We've spent weeks researching and testing newborn beds in real homes with real families.

Cots and beds

Which crib/moses basket/newborn bed would you recommend to a new parent?

92 replies

TinaMumsnet · 29/11/2018 10:26

We're making plans to test and review newborn beds and we'd love to know which ones you'd recommend.

The first 6 months of a baby's life can be a challenging time for everyone involved, I'm pretty sure we can all agree getting some sleep really helps!

If you've used a newborn bed/moses basket/crib that you'd recommend, we'd love to hear about it. Your comments will help us to create a shortlist of beds to test and recommend to new parents.

Also, if you have any tips on what to look out for when choosing a bed for a newborn, please share them on this thread. We'll include these comments in our buyer's guide

Thanks!

OP posts:
howonearthdoyoucopewith3 · 29/11/2018 13:52

We had a Moses basket. Basic John lewis one for the first 2 children and and Aldi one for number 3. Really inexpensive and they were all great sleepers as they were snug and cocooned inside. Makes washing so easy as the sheets are small (can even just use muslins), and if you get a stand them the baby can go right next to the bed and you can reach out and pat them. Or you can take them into another room, take it easily in the car if you go away so no need for huge travel cots. I love them!

Changingagain · 29/11/2018 14:02

I loved our Snuzpod with DS and will be getting it ready again for our second next year. I may buy a new mattress when I've checked how it's fared in my Mum's loft but I'll definitely be sticking with the Snuzpod again.

starkid · 29/11/2018 14:10

What do people suggest for those with narrow bedrooms? Not sure I can fit anything next to my side of the bed, plus that's where the radiator and window is, and any cot/moses basket will be touching the radiator which is obviously a no-no.

Would be something for at the end of the bed instead. Suggestions? Just a regular moses basket I guess? Is there much point of getting these co-sleeping fancy cots if still have to crawl down end of the bed to reach them?

Squiff70 · 29/11/2018 14:18

I don't have any children but our twins are due in May. We're going to have a Chicco Next2Me at each side of the bed (nightmare!) and we're undecided about sleeping places for downstairs during the day but will probably get moses baskets.

PhilomenaButterfly · 29/11/2018 14:19

We had a Moses basket at the foot of the bed.

OutPinked · 29/11/2018 14:31

Definitely not a Moses basket. I bought a lovely one on a rocking stand and DS just will not go in it- wakes up screaming after five minutes.

We now co-sleep using the sleepyhead.

Rarfy · 29/11/2018 15:16

They hyde crib is worth a look @starkid

PipsM · 29/11/2018 17:45

We had a tutti bambini cozee. Really useful to have as it could attach to the bed but also be used separately as a cot and a travel cot. When we went away for a night we took it with us and baby slept as if we were at home. After my c section we didn’t attach it to the bed for the first couple of weeks but could easily see in through the mesh. The ability to tilt it also helped when baby had a cold. The shelf under was helpful to store muslins/sheets/gro bags and toys. And it looked good too!! I’m sad that our baby is too big for it now!

OliviaGotch · 29/11/2018 17:52

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EggsRoyale · 29/11/2018 18:48

I had a Moses basket and crib for my first but she was so big I got no time out of them. For the second(even bigger) I had a cot in our room and used the Graco contour electra travel cot with bassinet downstairs for the first year which was fantastic. It also had a changing top attachment. And I got to use it for years!

CarrieBlu · 29/11/2018 19:50

We have successfully used a Schnuggle Moses basket with a rocking stand for both of our DC and will hopefully get the chance to use it again in the future!

KipperTheFrog · 29/11/2018 19:53

Chicago nexr2me. Wish I'd had it for my first. Used it for 9 months with my second and got so much more sleep

sauvignonblancplz · 29/11/2018 20:07

We used a snuz pod , really was fantastic , baby was so settled. He moved into his cot at 6months and we just took the side off and set it by the bed. It was a happy transition .

loveacupoftea18 · 29/11/2018 20:22

Tutti Bambini!!

It's been amazing (and still using it now at 8 months as can't bear PFB to go into her own room....!)

tablelegs · 29/11/2018 20:23

My friend gave me a loan of her amby nature nest. It was brilliant.

jomaIone · 29/11/2018 20:39

Tutti Bambini cozee bedside crib. It was amazing. Had a long baby but she fit fine until nearly 6 months when she started to move and pull herself up. Never bothered with Moses basket!!

jellyinmybelly · 29/11/2018 20:42

Arms reach Co sleeper @squiff70 you might be interested as it's big enough for twins supposedly. It is size of a travel cot but attaches to one side to a parents bed so totally flat surface with parents mattress. Sooooo much easier for night feeds than a moses basket or crib. Bought second hand plus a new mamas and papa mattress to go in it (had to get a bit of mdf to go under mattress though!)

Sparrowlegs248 · 29/11/2018 20:46

I had a moses basket on a stand that neither baby would tolerate. Co slept with the first. Used a sleepyhead with the second. Cot bed beside my bed with the side off. All very high tech.....

Squiff70 · 29/11/2018 20:58

Thanks @jellyinmybelly - I'll definitely look into that!

Narya · 29/11/2018 21:03

We used the tutti bambini cozee with DS from birth to 6 months, when he got too long for it. It was fab, especially as it worked as a travel cot too.

peachgreen · 29/11/2018 21:08

If you've got the space, a cot with the side off is the best bet. They're in those co-sleeper cribs for such a short time, it feels a waste of money. We rented a BedNest and found it okay but the side was far to rigid to sleep with it down (deliberately I imagine) so it wasn't much better than a normal Moses basket.

JamesBondFire · 29/11/2018 21:38

Moba Moses basket 100%. So easy to move about the house as required. It looks great too! My daughter seemed to like it.

WhippettyWeekend · 29/11/2018 21:58

I have used both the Snuzpod and the Chico Next2Me (I was relocating and had the Snuzpod waiting in new home, but baby was born early in the city I was still living in, so I ended up rushing out to buy the Next2Me from Argos after my waters broke!). I had planned to sell the Next2Me on a couple of weeks later once I had moved, but in fact I ended up preferring it to the Snuzpod.

Worth mentioning that the Snuzpod I had was the “2” so is narrower than the new one and doesn’t have the mesh on both sides, or any way of tilting it. So some of the reasons I prefer the Next2Me won’t be relevant for the latest Snuzpod.

For me I preferred the Next2Me because:

• it felt roomier
  • I could tilt it to help with reflux
  • the fabric felt softer

-it was much easier to adjust the height
  • There was more room to store stuff under it (with the Snuzpod, because of the cloth base, I found things stored could rock/tip off, whereas with the Next2Me they went directly on the floor). I had a storage box under it for linen, and a tray with changing things.
  • It folded flatter for transport (though, at 10kg, quite heavy for a travel cot)
  • the side is fully out of the way when down, unlike that of the Snuzpod which felt rough and annoying on the bed; but because of the fabric lip coming up above the level of the Next2Me mattress, it still felt secure even with the side down.

I had initially chosen the Snuzpod because I thought it looked slicker (still do) and because I’d wanted to be able to rock it and take the upper portion around with me as a bassinet.

In practice, I found the Snuzpod top quite heavy and cumbersome to carry around, and also found I could effectively “rock” the Chicco by gently wobbling the frame back and forth (I doubt this is manufacturer recommended, but it’s still standing!)

In the end, we are co sleeping on a futon! But I have been using the Chicco Next2Me for baby’s daytime naps until very recently. He is now 8 months and although under the 9kg limit, I think he could pull himself up.
Nonomore2 · 29/11/2018 22:33

Chicco next2me. Little one has been happy in it from day one.

smellingofroses · 29/11/2018 23:51

Chico next to me. Probably the best and most useful baby item I use.
Makes co sleeping safe, excellent value for money.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.