Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

How quickly did Covid pass through your family?

57 replies

pinkchampagne1 · 08/08/2022 15:46

My DH tested positive this morning and he is feeling really unwell. He has the cough, chills, nausea etc.
I will be amazed if I don’t come down with it as we have been drinking from the same glass and sleeping in the same bed.
From other’s experience does it pass from one person to another pretty quickly?
We are meant to be going on holiday a week today so I fear that might not happen now. 🙁

OP posts:
Please
or

vjg13 · 08/08/2022 15:55

My experience was we all got it (4 of us) within the week or slightly over.

Please
or

pinkchampagne1 · 08/08/2022 16:31

I am guessing it’s pretty inevitable that I will catch it. It is day 1 of my DH’s holiday today so a rubbish start. 🙁

OP posts:
Please
or

pinklavenders · 08/08/2022 17:43

It takes about 2-3 days in our experience. Hope you don't feel too awful.

Please
or

Muchtoomuchtodo · 08/08/2022 17:44

Ds2 had it. No one else caught it. we didn’t make him isolate in his room.

good luck op!

Please
or

Houseplantmad · 08/08/2022 18:38

DS had it a month ago, none of us got it which surprised me as I’d cuddled him etc. when he was infectious and still didn’t get it.

Please
or

Quornflakegirl · 08/08/2022 18:41

Dc1 got it, the next day dc2 positive. 4 days later I was positive, dh never caught it.

Please
or

pinkchampagne1 · 08/08/2022 18:47

Good to know that some of you managed to escape it. 😊

Any tips for relieving the horrible symptoms? DH is feeling really rough and the cold & flu tablets don’t seem to be helping much. Guess it’s probably just a case of riding it out.

OP posts:
Please
or

BettyOBarley · 08/08/2022 18:49

DD(8) tested positive. DH, DS(5) and I tested daily and all stayed negative.
We saw my parents for an hour the day before DD tested positive, both caught it (fairly sure it was from DD as they hadn't been out).

Please
or

itsgettingweird · 08/08/2022 18:50

It didn't!!!!

Both times I had it ds never caught it.

Please
or

PanicAtTheBigTesco · 08/08/2022 18:50

All 3 people in my house have had it (at separate times months apart) and I've not got it off any of them, and they haven't caught it off each other. Gave surfaces an extra wipe and tried to stay 2m apart but we weren't super strict on isolating.

Please
or

myalternatename · 08/08/2022 18:51

3 of us have had it but none of us caught it from each other. Ds had it last October, dh in April and me in June, dd still hasn't had it. My mum got it but my dad didn't.

Please
or

EddieVeddersfoxymop · 08/08/2022 18:56

DH had it. Before we knew he was positive we'd been in the same bed, he'd sneezes into our eyeballs (well as near as....he was driving and he's an enthusiastic sneezer ) and no one else caught it. You might be ok!

Please
or

Watsername · 08/08/2022 19:25

3 of 4 of us have had it spread out over the last 6 months - but no one caught it from other family members. I got it from my work, DH caught it on a train and DS caught it at Scouts.

Please
or

RomComPhooey · 08/08/2022 19:32

I’m on day 9 of symptoms. Did my first test on day 3 when I realised it was more than a normal cold. DH tested positive on my day 4, DS2 on my day 5. DS1 has surprised us all by dodging it (so far) and has tested negative on all the LFTs he’s done before going into work. We had all spent a week together in the car on a road trip so haven’t bothered isolating etc.

Please
or

User6372648284 · 08/08/2022 19:35

We all had it in December and unsure in variant but it went like this

dp first
DS 4 days later
me 4 days after DS
and dd 4 days after that

so nearly 3 weeks of it with 10 days isolation.

it was hell as 10 days isolation was still mandatory at the time. It was dragged out!!

we carried on like normal around the house knowing it was impossible to distance form each other.

Dd has had it again since but the rest of us didn't catch it!

Please
or

Rupertgrintismyguiltypleasure · 08/08/2022 22:35

It didn’t ...
8 of us in our house... DP got it last October....no one else had it... bearing in mind he was walking freely around the house before he actually tested positive.
February my brother and his girlfriend got it, he too was walking around the house... no one else got it....
end of June me, my mum and sister caught it.... no one else got it. We thought dd had it but turned out hers was severe tonsillitis. So both kids 14& 9 have never got it. Ones vaccinated the other isn’t 🤷🏼‍♀️

Please
or

Rupertgrintismyguiltypleasure · 08/08/2022 22:38

pinkchampagne1 · 08/08/2022 18:47

Good to know that some of you managed to escape it. 😊

Any tips for relieving the horrible symptoms? DH is feeling really rough and the cold & flu tablets don’t seem to be helping much. Guess it’s probably just a case of riding it out.

mine was really like a strong cold, didn’t have any other symptoms apart from feeling really cold one day when it was 24 degrees outside. I found first defence helped.

Please
or

dicdicnurse · 08/08/2022 22:43

In jan when I had it it took 5 weeks to spread through the 4 of us, just as one of us was out of isolation the next one tested positive!
My sisters family, first one positive on the Sunday, by the Friday they (and my parents) all had it.

Please
or

ColettesEarrings · 08/08/2022 23:05

It didn't. Ds2 (13) had it in October (probably Delta), isolated fully in his room as was advised at the time, no one else got it. I got it in Feb (probably omicron 2), isolated fully in spare room, no one else got it. Dh got it in May (likely omicron 4 or 5), didn't isolate at all, no one else got it. If you're due to go on holiday it's probably worth isolating dh in the meantime, and avoiding as much public contact for yourself (and children?) as possible because it's everywhere.

Please
or

Snowraingain · 08/08/2022 23:11

In my house there are six of us and three have had it. We all got it separately months apart and no one else in the family got it from each other. I’ve no idea how!

Please
or

Marymary987 · 08/08/2022 23:12

We’ve had it in our house 4 times so far.

First time dc1 had it and didn’t pass it on at all.
Second time dc2 had it, day 2 dc4 had it, day 7 dc3 had it and day 8 I had it.
Third time dc1 had it again and didn’t pass it on at all.
Fourth time I had it again first, dc4 again on day 5, dc3 again on day 6 and dh day 7.

So each time it’s not spread to all of us and dh only caught it the fourth time in the house. We also haven’t isolated from each other at all.

Please
or

Sunflowerx · 08/08/2022 23:14

I tested positive Thursday (symptoms since the Monday), partner tested positive Saturday and my little girl tested positive Wednesday which is when I tested negative!

We all had it in March and all just had a bad cold!

Please
or

Verite1 · 08/08/2022 23:17

We have all had it at different times (me, DH, DD and DS twice) and never passed it on. DH and I semi isolated but we didn’t make the kids isolate at all. DS the second time must have been BA.5 so even more surprising we didn’t catch it.

Please
or

ShowOfHands · 08/08/2022 23:22

DD had it in 2020 during the first lockdown and we isolated for 14 days as per the law at the time. DS tested positive on day 14 so we did another 14 days. We hadn't left the house once so it was a looooong incubation period. Despite having the DC in bed with us and being cooped up together, DH and I didn't get it.

I had it in Jan 22 and nobody in my house caught it. Then I had it again in March 22 and nobody caught it. Both times I was sleeping in the same bed as dh, sharing a bathroom etc.

DH caught it last month finally and didn't pass it on to any of us.

Please
or

pumpkinpie01 · 08/08/2022 23:32

I had it November, no one else in family caught it . Oldest son got it dec, passed it to no one in family . Dh had it last month , youngest Ds never had it . Both dh and I were sharing a bed 3 days approx before we knew we had it

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?