Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Somebody help! - this headache is brutal!

16 replies

Wavygravy1 · 11/07/2022 09:39

I tested positive on Friday, main symptom awful awful headache. I’m now negative but the headache is very much still here. It’s like a migraine but nothing helps. Have tried paracetamol and ibuprofen and even cocodamol and naproxen. Has anyone got any ideas before I go insane?!

OP posts:
Please
or

WITL · 11/07/2022 09:40

I hear you mine was the worse migraine ever - but in this case call 111 please it might be more than a headache

Please
or

Icannoteven · 11/07/2022 09:42

If it's like the headache I had with COVID, then what you need is the old kind of sudafed. The one with pseudoephedrine in it - not the new fangled one that doesn't work. Also a bit of beconaise and a warm compress for your eyes/temples.

Please
or

sleepymum50 · 11/07/2022 09:44

Yes I agree call 111 just in case.

I find cold pack and cold flannels soothing when medication doesn’t touch it.

Please
or

Tilly24 · 11/07/2022 10:44

I can relate, tested positive Friday evening and headache been bad since then but last night it ramped up to a new level and I struggled to sleep as painkillers suddenly not touching it- this morning thank the lord it’s much better with paracetamol dose. Really hope yours feels better soon. I found a cold flannel helped and an ice block too at one point! It’s so miserable

Please
or

SeaToSki · 11/07/2022 10:47

Lavender spray
Sumatriptan from the GP
Ice packs
Very dark and quiet room, no screens
Humidifier

Please
or

LonelyPlanetGirI · 11/07/2022 11:02

Agree with PPs - 111, just to be on the safe side.

Other than that, I find ibuprofen and codeine to be good, also 4head (although actually the cheapie knockoff one from Savers is better). Have you been coughing a lot? You might have pulled a muscle or trapped a nerve somewhere in your neck/head if so. This happened to me a few years ago with a nasty cough (broke a rib too!) - GP prescribed amitryptiline for a few weeks which solved it.

Please
or

Luggagerack · 11/07/2022 11:15

I tested positive on Wednesday. The headache I got was insane and the only thing to shift it was Syndol. Seriously a life saver!

Please
or

jimmyeatworld · 11/07/2022 11:19

Have you tried aspirin ? Usually an anadin extra shifts bad headaches for me.
I had an horrendous headache/face ache with covid 😩

Please
or

DialSquare · 11/07/2022 11:20

Luggagerack · 11/07/2022 11:15

I tested positive on Wednesday. The headache I got was insane and the only thing to shift it was Syndol. Seriously a life saver!

I suffer with headaches and always have done. Syndol is the only thing that ever works for me. Particularly the original recipe in the darker blue box.

Please
or

Madhairday · 11/07/2022 11:24

I do relate op. The headache has been agonising. No real advice to help, I ended up in hospital through severe dehydration from the sickness, but just wanted to hand hold. I'm day 5 now and headache ongoing but definitely not as bad.

Please
or

BiscuitTinClarabel · 11/07/2022 11:32

This was me too with Covid the first time around so I really sympathise. I used solpadeine but it didn't fully take it off. I find alternating a cold flannel over my eyes/forehead and a well-wrapped hot water bottle at the back of my neck works best. Agree on very dark room and lots of sleep, and then listen to podcasts if you get bored to distract you from the pain. But NO SCROLLING. It's the absolute worst for migraine. Hope you feel better soon x

Please
or

chilledbubble · 11/07/2022 11:33

Looooads of water?

Please
or

LarryTrotter · 11/07/2022 11:41

I'd call GP or 111 and ask if they can something stronger. Maybe sumatriptan as pp suggested.

Co-codamol can make headaches worse so I'd stop taking that.

Hope you get better soon!

Please
or

Cotswoldmama · 11/07/2022 11:54

I really rate 4head sticks I get hormonal headaches and migraines and they really do help. Try to rest as much as possible and keep out of the heat and sun if you can. Also caffeine often helps too. Hope you feel better soon!

Please
or

Galvantula · 11/07/2022 14:24

I had the worst headache for 48 hours before it finally eased off a bit. Never had anything like it :(

Please
or

Wavygravy1 · 11/07/2022 19:40

I went to the GP who prescribed 30mg cocodamol and naproxen 😩 4head stick has given a bit of relief through the day

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?