Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

What does covid feel like now for those who are positive or suspected positive with a close contact?

60 replies

SummersBreeze · 05/07/2022 12:23

I had someone in work last week and he sounded like he had a cold. He was testing negative on the home tests. I wasn't overly concerned. I don't think he usually experiences hay-fever or sintitus. I don't know what his symptoms were aside from the head cold stuff.

Over the past few days I experienced a fever. My fever went as high as 39.1. It was slow to respond to over the counter paracetamol and ibuprofen. It did come down but it was up and down for the past 2 days. My fever is now under control and its about 36.9 and it is staying down.

I have another condition where I am easily prone to infections so I honestly to god, don't know if it's flare up of that condition or if it's me coming down with a viral dose that I was exposed to last week.

Now it feels like I might be coming down with a head cold.

OP posts:
Please
or

SummersBreeze · 05/07/2022 12:24

Is this what covid is presenting like lately?

OP posts:
Please
or

ElspethBoomingHowsen · 05/07/2022 12:47

I got a blazing positive today and a very front one yesterday. I feel really sick and dizzy, like vertigo. A bit of a stuffy head but I have hay fever too so it could be that. I can’t move around much as the room spins but otherwise I’m ok. It’s not what I expected at all!

Please
or

dementedpixie · 05/07/2022 12:52

I had a scratchy throat and blocked and runny nose. Ds (patient 0 - also had sore throat/runny nose). Dd was much the same. Not really had many other symptoms apart from me having no sense of smell; the kids are ok now. Dh missed it this time but he was the only one who had it around New Year.

Please
or

cowskeepingmeupatnight · 05/07/2022 12:57

On about day 4, it’s been a struggle to be honest. Cold and sore throat, headaches, hot and sweaty and then cold and shivery, briefly lost my smell and taste. Sleepless nights. Ready for it to be over!

Please
or

RainingYetAgain · 05/07/2022 12:58

Adult DS had scratchy throat on Sunday, tested negative on Sunday night. Came home from work feeling knackered,sniffly and sore throat yesterday and went to bed. Positive this morning, completely exhausted.
He and I went off on a shopping centre trip on Saturday so am expecting to go down with it.

Please
or

smilingthroughgrittedteeth · 05/07/2022 13:01

We have it currently main symptoms for me are a headache, exhaustion, dizziness and brain fog with a bit of a runny nose.

DP who is asthmatic has a really heavy chest and wheeze and feels lethargic.

DS who is 7 and is asthmatic has a hideos cough and slight temp with a blocked nose.

Please
or

IdiotCreatures · 05/07/2022 13:04

So fricking tired and I have fibromyalgia so am used to feeling tired. Sore throat and a horrible hacking cough with flem (thought COVID was meant to be a dry cough).
Aching joints and weird tingling sensations esp in my right arm next to my elbow.
Feels like a cold on steroids.
Weirdly though the vertigo I had been suffering has gone, but it had been running for about five weeks which is normally (five bouts since 2020) it's time frame so was probably due to piss off anytime now anyway.

Please
or

WarriorN · 05/07/2022 14:08

Ive had omicron twice this year. Symptoms similar in all of us.

First time felt v cold then a bit odd and out of it. Then sore throat which is when positive test.

Vv tired and achey, probably a temp but we never tested.

Tiredness comes in waves for a few days. Then after a week seemed to lift but then round two started which was like an attack on nerves - tongue burnt then lost taste. Week two saw the gunky cough and insomnia.

For me and Dh we had another week or two of fatigue. He kept feeling extremely cold. I was then very woolly headed and fatigued/ confused for another 2 months.

This time the first two weeks have all been condensed into 3 days so far and I've more energy. Not enough to work but have managed to stay out of bed today and do a few things with pre schooler in between screens.

It's more flu / thing that attacks nerves than a cold (though I've sneezed a lot more this time.)

Please
or

ThatPosterIsSoRight · 05/07/2022 14:16

Me: scratchy throat then just felt ill, symptoms moved around my body. Sinus pain and sore throat (at the bottom of the throat) was the worst.

DS1: cough, coldy

DS2: random body pain, high temp for 48 hours, delirious, vomiting for 24 hours. Then better.

DH: I knew he had it when he tossed and turned all night. Flu like. A whole day on the sofa (unheard of for him not to work when ill)

So different for everyone!

Everyone I know hasn’t tested positive until day 2 or 3 of symptoms, so I think there are a lot people walking round saying it’s just a cold, their test (on day 1 only!) was negative.

Get well soon.

Please
or

IdiotCreatures · 05/07/2022 14:17

As an experiment I salivated onto one of the test strips (hate sticking things in my nose) and it works without all the swab and liquid gubbins, that I did when testing earlier today. Big fat positive just from saliva, useful to know if you have spare test cassettes lying around but have lost the accompanying swabs/liquid stuff.

Please
or

Yodaisawally · 05/07/2022 14:19

36.9 isn't a fever.

It could be anything.

Please
or

Vallmo47 · 05/07/2022 14:21

Positive today and am suffering with headache, dizzy/lightheadedness, stuffy/scratchy throat and a bit bunged up nose. Had Delta in October too. Yuck!

Please
or

WhenDovesFly · 05/07/2022 14:23

I had a strong positive on Sunday having started to feel unwell Friday evening and cold symptoms starting Saturday.

I've had cough, sneezing, runny nose, tiredness, but worst of all has been a thudding headache on the left side, like someone stabbing my temple, and it's gone on since Sunday. I'm triple jabbed but caught it off my adult DD who tested positive last Friday. She's had no jabs but her symptoms only lasted two days - go figure!

Please
or

bigbluebus · 05/07/2022 15:11

My main symptom when I had Covid 2 weeks ago was temperature going up and down for 3 days. Day 1 (tested negative) but temperature was 39.1 and stayed above 38 even with paracetemol. Tested positive on day 2. Had a bit of a snuffly nose but other than that no other symptoms.

Please
or

DuesToTheDirt · 05/07/2022 15:20

Headache, sick and dizzy. I felt a bit feverish and achy. And woke up in the night a few times with a raging thirst.

Please
or

vdbfamily · 05/07/2022 15:30

I had sore throat and runny nose for couple of days and then an intermittent cough. I had no headache but that is a common first symptom currently.

Please
or

Lolliesareonme · 05/07/2022 15:30

DH positive Fri night, he sounded croaky said he was freezing and had a runny nose, so I made him test. He had a sore throat for one day, and slept a lot. Now all he has is a cough, but not that frequent, just ticklish.

I woke up yesterday with bloodshot eyes, headache, and sore throat. Positive test. Now keep running hot and cold with a runny nose, and temp ranging from 38 - 38.9. Slept a lot yesterday. Night and day nurse seems to keep on top of headache.

@WhenDovesFly - your headache sounds like mine, have you got a bulging vein on that side?

Please
or

lindauk5 · 05/07/2022 16:02

Started as a sore throat and bit tired Friday, woke on Saturday with a fever, tested and negative. Spent the whole day in bed sleeping on and off.

Woke up Sunday, tested and instant dark positive. Fever on and off Sunday and Monday, the worst headache, nothing eased it until it, runny nose and sore throat and some serious fatigue.

Have been in bed since Saturday, not needed a nap today so I'm taking that as progress.

Please
or

disappointed101 · 05/07/2022 16:03

Fatigue, muscle aches, headaches, funny tummy, blocked nose.
Dh cough and blocked nose

Please
or

WhenDovesFly · 05/07/2022 19:53

@Lolliesareonme now you mention it I do have a prominent vein on that side. I put an ice pack on it this morning for a couple of hours whilst I laid in bed and it did wonders in reducing it a bit. It seems to be creeping back a bit this evening though.

Please
or

BlackeyedSusan · 05/07/2022 21:42

sore throat and really bad cold, with shivers and chills.

now I have the dreaded cough.

Please
or

PeterCannaeRun · 05/07/2022 22:16

Ds1 patient zero had a snotty nose and a bit of a sore throat but had been at a concert so assumed the sore throat was from singing so loudly. He tested positive 3 days after the concert, instant result on lft. He is now day 10 still showing a faint positive but has felt fine for the last 6 days.

Dh felt run down, blocked nose like hayfever and tested daily after Ds1 was positive but didn't come up positive until 2 days after Ds.

I had blocked sinuses and a headache, I tested the same day as Ds1 was positive, came back negative, same day as Dh positive, I was negative again and finally tested positive 2 days after Dh. Had symptoms for over 24 hours.

Once we all tested positive we all had aching bodies and shivers for 1-2 days. Ds1 had a temp but neither Dh nor I did. We all still have a crackly cough. We all had headaches. Ds2 is negative thank goodness.

The fatigue is a killer, Dh has been off work needing a nap before 11am which is completely unlike him. I am not sure how he will get through work tomorrow, luckily he is sensible and WFH so if he needs to tap out for a couple of hours he can.

Please
or

MrsMidgeMaisel · 05/07/2022 22:42

I woke in the middle of the night on Thursday night / early hours of Friday with a sore throat. Friday I had what I thought was a cold, nothing too bad just big standard cold symptoms. Saturday I woke up and I couldn't lift my head from my pillow. I was aching everywhere, exhausted, felt like I'd swallowed glass with a pounding head. Not to mention shivers and sweating. My breath kept catching in my throat too. I tested positive and literally the second my sample touched the test more or less if bf and positive! Sunday was no better coupled with having woken up several times throughout the night. Yesterday I began to feel slightly better and today my test is much fainter and am almost back to normal. I had covid before in November 2020 and I'd say last time my symptoms went on for longer but were milder whereas this time they were more severe but for a shorter period?

Please
or

Rupertgrintismyguiltypleasure · 05/07/2022 23:08

My mum got it quite bad, she had a fever, dizziness, lethargic. She was bed bound for a few days.
I was a bit achy, I had a sore throat for a few days, runny nose but the worst was headaches. They were soo intense.
my dsis had the same as my mum. It just depends person to person.

Please
or

Lucienandjean · 05/07/2022 23:28

Main symptom for me was a headache. Oddly, it felt like eye strain. I kept thinking I'd have to get my eyes tested when I felt better, and when I moved my eyes I got a weird aching around my eyebrows.

I also felt mildly queasy, and after about 5 days I started with a runny nose.

2 days later it all suddenly went and I felt fine.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?