Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

vaccines for 50+

14 replies

BotCrossHuns · 03/07/2022 10:15

Do you think they will extend the vaccine booster to 50+ in the autumn? It is currently still only for over 65s, health/care workers, extra-vulnerable etc. But Javid announced the other week that they should prepare a plan for over 50s just in case. I wonder when that will be decided for sure? I suppose they have to see how this summer wave goes. If enough people get it now, maybe they won't need it - although it sounds like you can get these new variants repeatedly, so maybe that won't stop the wave as fast as they'd like.

I am possibly in group 6, but don't know for sure - I got an original appointment slightly sooner than expected for my age group, but don't know if that meant I was officially group 6 or not. As a result, my others have all been relatively early, last booster was in November. So I'd happily take a new booster in the autumn if one were offered.

OP posts:
Please
or

BloodyHellKen · 04/07/2022 15:56

I hope not OP as I'm not convinced it would be cost effective. I think all over 60's should be offered it as according to the data 95% of all deaths have occurred in this age group but I think it would be a good idea to charge everyone else a nominal amount, say £10/£20 for the vaccine (unless they are vulnerable obviously). That way the NHS could maybe make a bit of money rather than spending it unnecessarily - like with flu jabs 😀

Please
or

LIZS · 04/07/2022 15:59

I think it will go to those who usually get the flu vaccine, which iirc is now over 50s and the clinically vulnerable.

Please
or

MrsOwainGlyndŵr · 04/07/2022 16:00

I think it will be 60+ as they already do a vaccination programme for that age group for flu, and could do both at the same time.

Plus any other "at risk" people

Please
or

CredibilityProblem · 04/07/2022 16:07

I think 50 plus would be sensible. A lot of people in that age group are more vulnerable to complications due to diabetes or high blood pressure and a lot of them don't know it.

Please
or

Missillusioned · 04/07/2022 16:09

Over 50s don't usually get a free flu jab. That was just brought in as a temporary measure for Covid. It's usually over 60s, or possibly even 65, I don't recall which

Please
or
Please
or

Meowser72 · 04/07/2022 16:55

I think it should be made available to anyone who wants it, but if your income is over a certain threshold and you’re under 50 (this would include me, as I am 46 and can afford it), you pay.

Please
or

BotCrossHuns · 04/07/2022 18:55

The over-50s free flu jab has stopped now.

But the exact details of the autumn booster isn't decided for sure - the over 65 thing is the current update, but Javid has said for health services to be prepared to extend it to over 50s if things are looking bad. (Or if they're looking really, really bad, to all adults, but I don't think anyone thinks that will happen for all kinds of reasons, including cost effectiveness, practicalities, etc). But the over 50s is still possible - I guess it depends how the summer goes. I wonder when they will make the decision. I suppose it could still be changed as the autumn goes on, depending on vaccine supply.

I'd be willing to pay for the vaccine for sure, though I guess I worry a bit about setting that precedent in case it puts people off getting it who need it but can't afford it, as once they start charging, that's a slippery slope. I'm sure they'd have concessions for very low incomes etc, but it's the people just above that who would have to make hard choices.

OP posts:
Please
or

IndigoC · 05/07/2022 01:39

I wish they’d allow us to purchase it privately. There’s no shortage of supply any more. Feels very totalitarian to not allow people to make their own choices at this point.

Please
or

BotCrossHuns · 07/07/2022 10:40

Apparently there was a new recommendation a day or two ago that it should in fact be rolled out to over 50s to combat the autumn/winter wave. Of course that was a previous health secretary, so who knows what will happen in reality!!

OP posts:
Please
or

TurmericFan · 07/07/2022 18:26

I'm over 40 and was classified as CV. It's now 8 months since I've had my booster so I'd take an Autumn shot if I'm able to get one....

Please
or

Rockyroad2020 · 08/07/2022 12:37

Yep over 50 with mild Asthma just tested positive and booster was early as a carer.
Feel pretty shit tbh. Had to restart brown inhaler.

Please
or

Coffeepot72 · 09/07/2022 17:04

I’m in my 50s, no health issues that I’m aware of, but I am very conscious that my last COVID booster was in November, and without a top-up I’m left virtually unprotected? I would also be willing to pay.

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 11/07/2022 17:45

I’ve heard over 40’s mentioned by a friend that works at a hub.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?