Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Covid

Why didn’t they stop flights back in January?

5 replies

PattyandSelma · 22/03/2020 23:59

We’re a tiny island and could have surely avoided having to pay out BILLIONS to sort out this shit show by not allowing any flights in or out until China had got a grip on this. I genuinely want to know if anyone has any thoughts?

And then if they didn’t do that why not do all of these measures a lot earlier like closing pubs and schools etc? Or not that but do what South Korea did and spend money on extensive testing across the population?

I just want to know why they don’t seem to care about us. Been in tears most of tonight and trying to look after DH who is distraught and who I’ve never ever seen worry about anything in 20 years of knowing him.

OP posts:
Please
or

ceramichedgehog · 23/03/2020 00:08

UK still accepting flights from Italy and China apparently.

We need to close our borders to non UK citizens /'residents.

UK needs to close airports to any transit passengers like main transit routes in Australia and Singapore

Please
or

Apirateslifeforme · 23/03/2020 00:13

Obviously ££££ is what is more important.
I think that the governments around the world didnt quite expect this to get so bad and therefore didnt really plan for it.
Not one country has prepared well for this that I can tell.
I can see why they didnt want to over react and fuck up the economy, but how much better off would we all have been if the government just said, no one in. Travellers can go home if they wish, people who live in Britain, come back, but quarantine for 14 days. How much better things would have been for all.

Please
or

PattyandSelma · 23/03/2020 00:14

See this doesn’t make sense either, why on earth would they not suspend these flights for a while just to give us some space to get on top of this?
I don’t understand this country Sad

OP posts:
Please
or

PattyandSelma · 23/03/2020 00:14

Yes @Apirateslifeforme 👍

OP posts:
Please
or

ceramichedgehog · 23/03/2020 08:53

UK citizens abroad can't get back to UK.

If they are in Aussie / NZ all transit routes are suspended.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?