Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Covid

Holiday next week.. Would you cancel ?

99 replies

Lucy2999 · 14/03/2020 07:59

Hi

I’m due to go on holiday next week (Friday) to Dubai .. a group of us are going and it’s for a birthday . We have all spent a lot of money and it’s been booked way in advance.

there has been no talk of cancelling amongst the group especially not by the persons who’s birthday it is who is adamant this will not ruin their bday Confused

However Abu Dhabi have now closed all restaurants and bars untill end of March .. if Dubai do the same what would be the point is going ??

Dubai isn’t effected half as much as Europe (85 cases I think ) but obviously risk of them closing their borders whilst we’re out there and us getting stuck is real being on a plane etc.

And also possibly catching it bringing it home etc. I am inclined to cancel.

obviously going somewhere that is a hot spot area such as Spain /Italy I wouldn't even consider it. But what’s the advice on going to places that aren’t badly effected ?

OP posts:

Lifeisabeach09 · 14/03/2020 08:55

For Easter break, I was due to go to a place in Europe that has no reported cases of the virus so far. Booked the package through Easyjet months ago. Easyjet cancelled the holiday on Tuesday. Because they cancelled it, I am due a full refund.
It might be different for scheduled airlines but I'd expect cancellations by the company.
I'm not sure but I think if you cancel going to Dubai (with the FCO saying it's ok to travel there) then you won't get a refund (unless refundable ticket, of course). If the FCO advice changes to only essential travel, then insurance will pay up. Someone correct me if this info in wrong please.

whiteroseredrose · 14/03/2020 08:56

We've got a trip to Iceland booked in a fortnight and have decided to wait and see if the fights get cancelled and / or Iceland goes into lockdown.

We won't be cancelling anything until the last minute.

We're booked into an apartment and would be self driving to waterfalls etc so not coming into close contact with anyone. With all the cancellations I'm sure we could extend our apartment booking for another couple of weeks if necessary.

If we were in an hotel I'd probably think differently.

boatyardblues · 14/03/2020 08:57

It’s just not really even being discussed in the group about what we are going to do as I feel other people (not me) do not want to upset the birthday person as they can be difficult

Why are you all tiptoeing around this person? We’re in the grip of a global pandemic ffs! If you have the option to change your dates, surely you can all agree an alternative date & move en masse. If you booked separately and they’re still being a twat about it, choose alternative dates that suit you and move your booking.

superram · 14/03/2020 09:01

Most schools are closed in Dubai already. We were due to go to Croatia but don’t fancy self isolating for 14 days (only going 3 nights). Have cancelled hotel and got credit note on flights. I was worried about being stranded more than anything.

superram · 14/03/2020 09:01

I wouldn’t go and I’m still fairly relaxed.

whatareyoucooking · 14/03/2020 09:01

Unfortunately I think it's best you cancel.

But honestly all this "what if we go and catch it bring it back" Hmm. It's MUCH more likely one of your group will go and take the virus there themselves. As you said, cases are low in Dubai (at the moment)

hm246 · 14/03/2020 09:05

My friends lives in Dubai and works for emirates, she is baffled in the group chat by our pictures of empty supermarkets, avoiding places ect. She been carrying on as normal including flying (working not leisure) all over the place. As for catching it and bringing it home, your more likely to catch it in the uk than in Dubai.
I’d go, I’m going to Tenerife on the 27th of this month.

Wehttam · 14/03/2020 09:05

If you are unsure of what to do it’s because your gut instinct is telling you it’s a bad idea. Dubai is holding off closures as long as they can because of their economy not because of public health.

chatterbugmegastar · 14/03/2020 09:06

Planes are Petrie dishes. No, I would not go anywhere on a plane atm

salagadoo · 14/03/2020 09:09

What I find so selfish is that not one person had said that don't go because you could infect people over there. You're much more likely to take the infection over. So many countries have been infected by Europeans deciding their holiday is far more important and they couldn't possibly forego it including ignoring quarantine rules.

I'm surprised more country's aren't restricting flights from the UK but I imagine they will in a couple of weeks

BeardedMum · 14/03/2020 09:10

I would cancel and the choice will probably be made for you like others have said. I don’t get the people who say it’s fine as the country they are travelling to don’t have many cases of the virus. So why would you potentially bring the virus into this country then? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Iwalkinmyclothing · 14/03/2020 09:13

What I find so selfish is that not one person had said that don't go because you could infect people over there.

Signal that virtue a bit more, why don't you?

rookiemere · 14/03/2020 09:14

Oh wow so you do have the option of changing for free so not losing the cost of the trip. If it were me I'd check with the hotel and see what they say. You might be better to wait until a couple of days before trip to make a decision as if it is cancelled you should get your money back. But as there is the option of postponing then that seems like a good way to go and the birthday person just needs to grow up - even if they were paying for the trip they cannot dictate what people do in the midst of a pandemic.

It is a special birthday for me this year and I've booked a number of trips to celebrate. Sure I'm sad as I see them drifting away, but it's better then being ill or dying.

chatterbugmegastar · 14/03/2020 09:17

What I find so selfish is that not one person had said that don't go because you could infect people over there

But if we all do the right thing - don't get onto a Petri dish/go to enclosed crowded peopley spaces (common sense) and self isolate if we get a new cough/fever (guidelines) then we will indeed be helping everyone, ourselves and others.

KonTikki · 14/03/2020 09:22

I keep thinking of that Englush couple quaranteened on their cruise ship off Japan.
The first few days they were all positive and accepted their situation.
By the end of that week they were depressed, panicking and demanding that the UK send out a flight to rescue them.
I would not put myself in a position where I may well get stuck abroad

And I speak as someone who has just cancelled a trip to Spain, and lost money in doing so.

lubeybooby · 14/03/2020 09:22

No I wouldn't go. They will likely cancel anyway so wait til the last minute for them to do so but if they don't then swallow the cost.

sassbott · 14/03/2020 09:44

The question I would be asking myself is as follows

1. If I fly somewhere, am I prepared to be trapped there/ have to self isolate? So on this one for me, if it’s a hotel? No way. You are completely at the whim of hotel supply chain etc
  2. if I fly somewhere is the country itself a country I would be happy being stuck in? For me, Dubai? Not a chance.
  3. if I fly somewhere and am stuck there, can I afford to settle a bill (if insurance doesn’t cover me) for however long I am there? Do I have enough money? Or will I tearfully be ringing the bank of mum and dad to bail me out of my avoidable stupidity?
  4. if borders are closed and flights have a few days to get back, do I have 6k to get an early flight home (someone I know had to pay 6k to get a flight back to the US).
  5. are the medical facilities good? For dubai I don’t know.

Yes you are all in your late 20’s/ early 30’s so at low risk, on paper. But the fact that this hasn’t even been openly discussed amongst you all tells me that your mental ages are lower than my teenagers who are openly discussing the pros and cons of an upcoming school trip (within the UK so not technically cancelled as of yet).

Have a word with yourselves. If you decide to go go. But at least have had some adult conversations about finances/ morals and health before you get on the plane.

Notredamn · 14/03/2020 11:40

Everyone I know with holidays booked for next week have had them cancelled, one being this morning. If you're still allowed to go, be prepared to be stuck there for a while at your own cost.

Somewheredreamingofcheesecake · 14/03/2020 11:52

I'm in the UAE. All schools (not just some) have been closed for a week, all nurseries for two weeks. Abu Dhabi announced all tourist attractions closed this morning. As you've already picked up bars and night clubs in AD were ordered closed yesterday. Dubai will follow suit, possibly more slowly because the economic impact is slower.

I wouldn't come. If nothing else it will be a very dull holiday as everything will be closed.

People are only just starting to realise what's going on here (see previous poster's friend who is living in gah gah land) and people are now starting to panic. Supermarkets have been keeping shelves full but they are starting to run out of stock in the same way as the UK. I anticipate they will start closing the borders soon.

Somewheredreamingofcheesecake · 14/03/2020 11:54

I should also say that if there's a case detected in a hotel you're in they will go on lockdown (it's already happened to a friend). Sounds ok if you're in a nice hotel but lockdown means your room - you won't be able to sit by the pool/ on the beach.

salagadoo · 14/03/2020 11:56

Yeah of course its virtue signalling to say don't leave a country that has probably got 5-10000 cases going on (even if the official tested number is 700) and go to one that has far less in case you spread it there.

On the other hand I bet you expected Chinese people not to travel to the UK when it was at its peak over there. European tourists traveling is the biggest cause of the spread right now so yes I am virtue signalling and saying don't go to another country and risk their population.

Somewheredreamingofcheesecake · 14/03/2020 13:09

And decision is taken out of your hands. They've suspended issuance of all visas (except diplomatic) from 17 March.

whatareyoucooking · 14/03/2020 13:40

Ooh somewheredreaming do you have a link for that? I have someone in my family who is harping on about going there for a couple weeks to escape the madness HmmAngry

Lucy2999 · 14/03/2020 13:43

@Somewheredreamingofcheesecake where have you seen this ? I cannot see it online.. also I’m not sure how this effects holiday makers . I’ve been to Dubai many times you don’t need a visa for a holiday

OP posts:

whatareyoucooking · 14/03/2020 13:44

You do need a visa Op you probably don't notice it as they do it when they stamp your passport

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?