My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Conception

Special ttc diets

79 replies

Natty1806 · 02/11/2006 13:35

Hi

As AF is due yet again in a few days i have decided this month to try a really healthy approach to ttc starting with the food that i eat.

I am going to avoid caffine (tea, coffee, fizzy drinks, chocolate), booze, packet foods.

I cannot afford organic foods, how much of a difference do you think this will have?

I am going to try wholemeal foods (bread, pasta) lots of fruit and veg.

Is there anything else i need to know and does anyone know anyone who has fallen pregnant by changing there diet?

I am aiming to do this for 4 weeks and then as it will be December and Chritmas parties etc i think it will all go out the window then.

If anyone also wants to join in with me and help motivate me when the caffine and toxins are calling then please feel free.

sorry if i have rambled, one of those days.

Thanks for reading x

OP posts:
Natty1806 · 06/11/2006 11:33

Well done you my friend has just given up drinking for similar reasons and so far she has managed 8 weeks which is really good but not as good as you.

Will you ever drink again? Wine at christmas?

OP posts:
ready4motherhood · 06/11/2006 11:41

Hopefully I can't even think about wine this Christmas cos of a bump in my belly ! But yeah, I will probably drink again at some point in the future. I don't think there is anything wrong with alcohol or anything like that, just my reaction to it but I am sure I won't be "dry" for the rest of my life. I am only 27!

Natty1806 · 06/11/2006 12:02

Yeah hopefully we will all have a reason not to drink this Christmas

OP posts:
Kyte · 06/11/2006 14:05

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsMcJnr · 06/11/2006 19:27

yummy Kyte - LOVE couscous.

Littlefish · 06/11/2006 19:42

Hi there - I just wanted to give you all another good news story.

We were ttc for 2.5 years in total.

We went to to gp after 6 months of ttc and found out that my dh had a miniscule sperm count .

Over the course of the next two years, we gave up:

Alcohol (I didn't drink for 2 years!, dh gave up for 6 months)
Caffeine (coffee, chocolate, tea etc.)
Red meat
Cow dairy (switched to goat dairy)
Fizzy drinks
All processed foods

We had acupuncture, I did yoga and reflexology and my dh took chinese herbs. We also switched to an all-organic diet.

In 2004, one month before we were due to start IVF, I found out I was pregnant naturally. Dd will be 2 this month, and we're ttc again!

We'll never know whether it was the change in diet and lifestyle, or simply giving it more time. However, I certainly felt better because I felt I was taking some control and actively doing something to help our situation.

Good luck to you all. Don't give up!

ready4motherhood · 06/11/2006 22:39

How fantastic Littlefish... fingers crossed for you ttc #2. I have only been trying for 2 cycles, so I'm hopeful I will get a BFP soon, but if I don't then at least that doesn't mean I never will. Thanks for sharing your story!!

Babydust x

Natty1806 · 07/11/2006 09:55

Lovely littlefish good luck with no 2. x

OP posts:
greedyguzzler · 07/11/2006 12:36

i am not sure i could give up alcohol! we have been ttc since april and i tend to drink all month until 9 or 10 dpo when i think that IF i am pg the embryo would be trying to implant and would get its own blood flow and that is when alcohol could start to affect it! probably compleetly stupid, but i am not at the stage where i am willing to give up alcohol yet. although when i got my bfn last month i did tell my dh that we were both giving up until xmas! it only lasted 1 night! looking after ds and dd AND ttc is too stressful not to drink! i am thinking of making a nice cough syrup/grapefruit juice cocktail this month!!

Natty1806 · 07/11/2006 13:28

Yes it is hard i have managed just over a week now and would love a glass of wine, but am going to try and give it up for the month of November and then at the begining of December it is my friends wedding so will be drinking then, followed by birthday and christmas celebrations. I ususally give up in January as i have drunk so much over Christmas i am bored of it.

OP posts:
dizzy36 · 07/11/2006 14:41

nuts and seeds are supposedly 'fertility boosters'. Try a handful of peanuts, brazils, cashew or almonds (plain, no salt or roasted). good snack when feeling peckish and full of healthy minerals. Also try linseed, pumpkin seeds etc.

have also invested in a juicer. mid morning, zap two carrots, 1 apple and a peice of celery and you've got fresh juice and a big portion of your 5 a day. always have whole fruits too as skins have the fibre.

have given up all dairy products for the time being and all meat. get my proteins from fish and pulses. Take a calcium supplement. I try and have 1 big salad at least once a day...leafy veg very good for you. Soups, veg casseroles. Try not to have too much soya as according to zita west slight possiblity of affecting fertility (don't ask me why) Get as much organic fruit and veg as possible. dring a lot of herbal teas...nettle, green and raspberry are good ones.

drink 2 litres of water a day, haven't had caffiene for years.

I've alwasy been a healthy eater so the above doesn't bother me (except I miss cheese!)

Natty1806 · 07/11/2006 15:44

Thanks for the tips - will get some nuts this week when i go shopping. have had sunflower seeds before are these just as good or does it need to be pumpkin?

Oh yeah Chicken breast were a bit more expensive around £5.00 for two but they were bigger and were very tasty (had them last night)

x

OP posts:
MrsMcJnr · 07/11/2006 15:49

That's a lovely story Littlefish, I really hope you get your BFP soon, you must have been doing something right.

GG - you sound exactly like me when it comes to booze - I know I can give it up when I need to but at the moment, I just can't accept that it is a factor in my inability to conceive and I'd be one hell of a stress pot if I had to cut it out completely right now. That said, over the last 2 weeks, I've hardly touched a drop because I was in the 2ww and really thought I was pregnant sadly wasn't but from now on, the 2ww will be dry and I'm going to try to cut out all midweek drinking.

Natty - when's your birthday? I'm 29/12.

Dizzy - I'm trying to eat more nuts and seeds but can believe that there are 25 calories in a brazil nut! My DH eats bowls of unsalted nuts in the evening, I'm not complaining as it's good for his zinc and selenium levels. I'd miss cheese too.

You were all talking about caffeine last night. A few years back, I was having about 3 lattes and a couple of cans of diet coke a day. I was trying addicted, especially to the diet coke. I did one of those Boots detoxes and gave up caffeine for a week. I was SO ill, the headaches were awful and I was horrified. Since then, I have one cup of coffee a week (sometimes two) and the rest of the time I drink herbal teas. I've given up the diet coke too and have it very, very occasionally. So yes, unless you want the worst headache of your life, do it gradually!

ready4motherhood · 07/11/2006 16:02

Natty, I am glad that your chicken was bigger and tasty!! Will you stick to free range over value??

There is an article in the Times2 today about colas... I haven't had time to read it yet, but when I do I will post any interesting info.

MrsMc - Your birthday is so close to Christmas, did you ever get "joint" gifts?

greedyguzzler · 07/11/2006 16:32

mrsmc - its nice to know im not the only drinker! i keep thinking i might as well keep drinking at the mo cos WHEN i get pg i will have to stop anyway, so i might as well enjoy it while i can!
2 months ago i was SO convinced i was pg ( even after 3 bfns!) that i got my dh to buy me alcohol free lager and he told the bloke in the off licence that he needed it for me cos i was pg! how stupid did i feel when af arrived!

Natty1806 · 07/11/2006 17:08

Sorry my birthday is not until June, it is my mum's. that was little misleading.

ready - yes sticking to free range, local products on the meat.

25 cals in a brazil nut i can eat a whole box of choc brazil nuts in one sitting. x

OP posts:
ready4motherhood · 08/11/2006 10:28

I adore chocolate Brazils... always get them at Christmas as a treat!! The nut is good for you though

Natty1806 · 08/11/2006 11:21

Yeah have already spotted them in the shops. Yummy

OP posts:
MrsMcJnr · 08/11/2006 11:24

I bought organic mushrooms yesterday I'm learning!

Never really got joint pressies Ready - my sister is 5/12 so sometimes I got pressies on her birthday.

We always had a rule that my birthday pressies were not allowed to be in Christmas paper though Generally a rubbish time of year to have a birthday but now I am in good company as my MIL and Gran-in-law (!) are 16 & 17/12 and FIL is 20/1 - all pretty rubbish dates really!

ready4motherhood · 09/11/2006 22:18

Good on you with the organic mushrooms MrsMc...

watched a programme tonight with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall on channel 4, really interesting about eating all the right stuff!! Very informational esp with all our chat recently about ethical and local produce!!

MrsMcJnr · 10/11/2006 11:27

Hello. Was also reading in the Zita West book that too much fibre is not good as progestrone can make you constipated both whilst TTC and during pregnancy.

ready4motherhood · 10/11/2006 12:18

Sorry... but that doesn't make sense to me .. surely if the progesterone makes you constipated, you will need plenty of fibre to counteract it? Or am I missing a trick here??

MrsMcJnr · 10/11/2006 12:50

maybe read the reason wrong but definatley said not to have too much fibre. Will check tonight and come back the the definitive

ready4motherhood · 10/11/2006 13:00

Look at the pair of us blushing!! My reason for it not making sense might not be right you know!! I am wrong from time to time
What is the book called?? I have heard of this Zita lady, sounds interesting.

MrsMcJnr · 12/11/2006 17:17

Ok Ready, here I am, book in hand and I just simply cannot find the fibre reference. Sorry, cop out I know.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.