My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Conception

Special ttc diets

79 replies

Natty1806 · 02/11/2006 13:35

Hi

As AF is due yet again in a few days i have decided this month to try a really healthy approach to ttc starting with the food that i eat.

I am going to avoid caffine (tea, coffee, fizzy drinks, chocolate), booze, packet foods.

I cannot afford organic foods, how much of a difference do you think this will have?

I am going to try wholemeal foods (bread, pasta) lots of fruit and veg.

Is there anything else i need to know and does anyone know anyone who has fallen pregnant by changing there diet?

I am aiming to do this for 4 weeks and then as it will be December and Chritmas parties etc i think it will all go out the window then.

If anyone also wants to join in with me and help motivate me when the caffine and toxins are calling then please feel free.

sorry if i have rambled, one of those days.

Thanks for reading x

OP posts:
gothicmama · 02/11/2006 21:02

try pumpkin adn sunflower seeds for you and dh/dp

conkertree · 02/11/2006 21:03

sounds good rfm - i imagine you could put pretty much any vegetable in there couldn't you - i have a big bit of brocolli sitting in my house that could really do with being used - so will maybe gve that a go for lunch tomorrow (if i get up in time)

conkertree · 02/11/2006 21:05

that raises yet another question though - are things like pumpkin seeds as good for you once they are cooked? I know carrots are meant to be better for you once cooked, but most vegetables are better the rawer they are, but I don't know about seeds

ready4motherhood · 02/11/2006 21:29

yeah, experiment with the veggies is what I say... just have a go, throw it all in
If you want a different flavour I suppose you could roast the veg in the oven first instead of boiling it then blitz and simmer in stock... I might try that!

are carrots really better for you once cooked??

Natty1806 · 03/11/2006 07:27

Thanks to the lady who posted about getting pregnant after giving up caffine and congrats on your little boy.

Did my shopping on line last night and brought lots of organic fruit and veg, off to the butchers tomorrow. Will post costs as a comparison for you.

Have a nice day. x

OP posts:
Babymad2DS · 03/11/2006 08:13

Morning Ladies!
I don't want to get in to the whole what's good and what's bad for you, I'm a great believer in everything in moderation, but I do know that high fat, high sugar, high salt is very bad for you, that's enough for me. I make sure that my family eats a balanced diet and my children only get sweets once a week as a weekend treat, as for my husband well I give him health meals it's up to him if he eat chocolate and other things, I don't put them in his mouth and make him eat them (chocoholic). My husband always say that if you listen to everything they say about foods we eat, you wouldn't want to eat anything, and believe it or not that's very true! Example, I was watching something afew months back that was saying man shouldn't drink to much tap water, as they can't get a hormone out that urine that comes about due to the woman's "Pill", which they believe is responsible for man having low sperm! True or not, they believe it's true, and if we believe it's true we wouldn't drink water!
I just want to cut down on the snacking, and get motivated in a few areas!

conkertree · 03/11/2006 08:54

the things about carrots is that they have tough cellular walls, so when they are raw, the body can only turn about a quarter of the beta carotene into vitamin A, whereas if you cook them, the cooking partly disolves the cellular walls which frees up nutrients. Also apparently when cooking you should cook them whole and then cut them up cause otherwise half the protein etc is lost into the water - but maybe thats taking it a bit too far

ready4motherhood · 03/11/2006 10:26

With regards to water... I have a brita filter, and it tastes much better and doesn't cause limescale in my kettle anymore!!!

Babymad2DS · 03/11/2006 11:42

I've had a Brita water filter for 8 years, last summer my friend found a peace in a health magazine regarding them saying that not only do they take out SOME of the bad stuff but also takes out vital minerals. But what this program was saying is that water pants/works couldn't get this hormone out, even with sophisticated filtering and other such things!

(Hope I'm spelling is alright)

MrsMcJnr · 03/11/2006 16:38

Ready - sportsman your DH huh? Famous?
Can I share your receipe for Spanish Chicken?

Natty - another thing I read (and I do know where, that Trad Chinese Med v Western Meds book) is that we need to create an alkaline environment and therefore should avoid too much acidic food - I think as long as we only have a little grapefruit juice each day it won't be counter productive - perhaps we should stop as soon as we OV (like countless other things!!)

Sorry didn't post that list today, will over the weekend.

Conkertree - that is interesting about the carrots.

TwinkleMegan - thank you for posting for us, congratulations!! I've heard that book is good, would you recommend it?

Natty1806 · 03/11/2006 16:40

Yeah post the spanish chicken and the list tomorrow. x

OP posts:
ready4motherhood · 03/11/2006 21:14

Ha ha MrsMc... No he's not famous (well to the locals I guess he might be??) He's a lower league (i.e Not the premiership)footballer.
Nothing glamourous!

My Spanish Chicken might not be spanish at all that's just what I call it. recipe for 2 people, so adjust accordingly.
Chicken cut into Chunks (1 breast per person)
Garlic (1 clove)
Chopped Peppers (1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow)
Chopped Onion ( I use red, but white would work I'm sure)
Broccoli Chunks (are they chunks )
Tinned Tomatoes
Veg stock
Herbs of your choosing (I use Basil)
Worcestershire sauce for a kick or a red chilli?? Although I have never tried it with chilli.

Cut chicken breasts into chunks, fry in a little olive oil until golden. Add veg and smashed (!) garlic and fry until onions are translucent and peppers soft. Throw in the broccoli. Add the tomatoes and stock and let simmer for 30 minutes or until it is the consistency you like.

Serve with brown rice.

Hope that makes sense.

Natty1806 · 04/11/2006 08:02

Thanks for that, have copied and pasted it to try next week. Do you serve it with rice or potatoes?

Think brocoli is floretts.

Thanks x

OP posts:
ready4motherhood · 04/11/2006 12:19

Ha ha, yeah florets

I serve it with brown rice, but I am sure it would taste good with sauteed potatoes?? Let me know.

MrsMcJnr · 04/11/2006 16:22

Hmm Ready that sounds nice, we're going to try that this week too.

Ok the book I have is called "Getting Pregnant" by Anne Charlish. It's not as pro-active in terms of fertility as the Toni Wescheler book but this is what it says about the food to avoid before and during pregnancy:

alcohol, biscuits, cakes, cheeses (soft, blue-vein & soft unpasteurized goat & sheep's cheeses), chocolate, coffee, colas, cream, eggs (raw or lightly cooked), food additives & colourants, fried foods, junk food, liver & liver products e.g. pate & liver sausage, undercooked poultry, pre-cooked, pre-packaged convenience foods, raw beef & rare beef, red meat (once a week is ample for health), salt added to food, salty snacks eg nuts & crisps, raw shellfish, sugar added to food or any foods containing white sugar, sweetened drinks, takeaway meals & white processed bread.

The other guidelines are:

• the less food is cooked, the better it is for your body and immune system.
  • the more highly processed it is, the less likely it is to be nutritious
  • in the mornings, go for wholemeal bread, muesli, yoghurt & fruit
  • for lunch or supper: salads, uncooked vegetables, wholemeal pastas and white fish.
  • drink 8 glasses of water throughout the day.
  • fish and poultry are better for you than red meat.
  • avoid cereals with added sguagr and honey.
  • choose wholemeal over white
  • high fibre content in diet is essential

All sounds great fun doesn't it!!
Natty1806 · 05/11/2006 08:25

Thanks for that Mrs, lots to bear in mind.

x

OP posts:
conkertree · 05/11/2006 10:20

you'd have to be really quite disciplined to try and do all that - in fact I don't know if its possible really. I know I couldn't go for 9 months + without chocolate. Maybe its just you shou;dn't have a bar everyday. I think I'll take it as that.

Am going to make a vegetable lasagne tonight (avoiding any soft cheese of course) - to try and pack some vitamins in after a week of not eating all that well.

Babymad2DS · 05/11/2006 11:42

The way I look at it for myself is I was on a very bad diet with both my children and still got PG, both "one off" happy accident's at that and they are both as health as you can get, even tho DH thinks there both mad, have to agree with him there LOL! I believe you can aim for a health diet with out going mad, like I've said before everything in moderation! A little of what you fancy tho does you good!

Natty1806 · 05/11/2006 12:02

Yeah no way I could give up booze and chocolate and coffee forever, but when you have been trying a long time I think it is worth giving something new a shot for a month, can't do any harm can it.

After all last month i drank grapefruit juice even though I hate it. the thinks we do.

I do agree with everything in moderation. x

OP posts:
twinklemegan · 05/11/2006 15:18

MrsMcJnr - just read your post. Didn't want to intrude too much so hadn't really been monitoring this thread. All I can say is the book seems to have worked for me - I had pretty much given up hope - so yes I would recommend it. I think apart from anything else it gave me a new take on the whole thing. There's quite a lot of emphasis on complementary/alternative therapies which wasn't really my cup of tea but each to their own. As with most of these self-help type books, you probably wouldn't want to obsess about doing everything suggested, but there is a lot of interesting and useful info in there.

ready4motherhood · 05/11/2006 16:33

Right ladies... I found the recipe for my squash and veg soup... I didn't get it exactly right so thought I had best post it again!

1 medium butternut squash, peeled De seeded and chopped.
1 large onion chopped
2 celery sticks chopped
2 carrots chopped
2 vegetable stock cubes chopped dissolved in 900ml (1 1/2 pints) hot water
1 clove of garlic squished
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh coriander or chives to garnish

put the squash, carrots, onion, and celery in to a large saucepan and add the stock and garlic, cumin and coriander if using.
Bring up to the boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20-25 min. until all the vegetables are tender
transfer the soup to a liquidiser or food processor and blend until smooth and velvety.
Return to the saucepan and re heat gently. Season to taste, then service in warmed soup bowls, garnished with either fresh coriander or snipped chives.

Notice how much posher it sounds when I copy type it. Rather than my fumbled attempt! Tee hee. Hope no one tried the first recipe and got disappointed!!??

ready4motherhood · 05/11/2006 16:36

I also found this Winter Warmer Soup recipe... thought I would share it (per serving is 2 weight watchers points but still good for you I think)

1 large carrot diced.
200g of potato peeled and diced
1 medium onion dices
100 g brown lentils
1.5 litres water or veg stock ( I use the veg stock, it tastes better then if it is made with just water)
50 g dried skimmed milk powder

Put the carrot, potato, onion and lentils into a thick bottomed saucepan with the water or stock. Bring to the boil slowly and simmer gently for about 2 hours.
Place all the ingredients including the dried milk into a blender and blend until the soup is the consistency you like.
Return to the pan season will freshly ground black pepper and serve piping hot.

Hope you like.

ready4motherhood · 05/11/2006 16:42

Thanks for the list MrsMcJnr - not sure I could cut out everything on that list. It's upsetting enough that I have forced myself to give up goats cheese so that I am not going to forget by the time I get pg. I adore goats cheese. sniff.

Quick shine my halo though, I never eat shellfish (raw or otherwise) or beef, or blue vein cheese, or liver. And I don't drink alcohol, haven't for a year

And tee hee... who in their right mind would eat undercooked chicken intentionally?? Not laughing at you putting it, just it being in the book!

MrsMcJnr · 05/11/2006 20:06

no alcohol for a year, now THAT is saintly!!! Thanks for all the recipes, all look good and I shall test them out

ready4motherhood · 06/11/2006 10:48

It's not really saintly, it's mainly cos I am such a lightweight and I don't like myself when I get tipsy, I don't shut up!!!!!! So I made the choice to stop drinking, and became the designated driver! No hangovers!!!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.