Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Help, please. Advice needed from more experienced MNer's

16 replies

Helsbels · 06/10/2003 08:48

I'm v. confused (nothing new there!)Went on pill at 16 gave it up at 32 and conceived within a month DS1. Just so incredibly lucky, I know. However, went back on pill at 33. Came off pill in May this year 34 and a half. So my knowledge on periods is very limited. Thought my cycle was 35 days but on closer counting decided it is between 32/33. So now I am on day 41 with no AF. Did test on Friday negative. Bought some ridiculously expensive digital jobs and did one yesterday and it said there was a fault. How can you have a fault peeing on a stick? Anyway, the advice I need is what are the reasons for AF being late other than pg, and also when should I test again and if AF doesn't come should I go to GP? Sorry this is a long question but I'm a bit agitated!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Jemma7 · 06/10/2003 09:10

Not sure to be honest Helsbels - i was on the pill for 3 years and came of at Xmas last year.

Since then my period were very very irregular at first - first 6 months we between 28 & 38 days - last 3 months AF seems to have regulated to every 38 days.

AF could just be late due to coming off the pill and your body trying to get back to normal but 41 days sounds like a long time! If nothing in the next day or so i would go to GP.

Sorry if this isn't much use. Good luck

Please
or

Gem13 · 06/10/2003 10:03

My periods 'disappeared' for about 5 months a few years ago which made me really worried.

I was working hard at the time doing shift work and the GP thought that if there was nothing physically wrong, that could be the reason they stopped. During this time I was tired and ill looking but quite happy as I was earning good money (for a student!).

The contract came to an end and my periods returned. They've been fine ever since and I became pregnant (twice) without problems.

My GP also said she wouldn't investigate it until it had been going on for a year. That might have just been her but it clearly wasn't a huge concern for her and I didn't want to be pregnant so I wasn't too worried.

So it may be you need to take things a bit easier for a while.

Hope they return soon.

Please
or

Helsbels · 06/10/2003 10:26

Thanks for that - the trouble is that I hope I am pg so that doesn't help!

Think I will do another test and then go to GP early next week.

OP posts:
Please
or

Helsbels · 06/10/2003 10:27

I don't mean your advice doesn't help - I mean wanting to be pg won't help my body to behave as it should!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Enid · 06/10/2003 10:29

I think you should go and buy a Clearblue twin pack and test today and at the end of the week.

If you are not pg (hope you are!) there could be lots of other reasons for no af - stress being the main one...

good luck!

Please
or

twiglett · 06/10/2003 10:34

message withdrawn

Please
or

Helsbels · 06/10/2003 11:32

Thanks again - do you think that it really makes a lot of difference whether you test with 1st wee of the day or not? Some tests say not but my GP told me that I should use first sample. OK so I'm clutching at straws 'cos I did the test in the evening......

OP posts:
Please
or

gingernut · 06/10/2003 12:03

I don't know about when is the best time of day to do the test - I think pack instructions should tell you however. But you might also get a better result by weeing into a clean container and dipping the stick into it (check pack instructions for length of time to leave the stick in your urine sample). HTH and good luck.

Please
or

Bogwoppit · 06/10/2003 12:08

morning is best tim eto test - the hcg is more concentrated then.
but many tests on the market now are sensitive enough to detect it whatever time of day you test.

I think the 1st response is the most sensitive test on the market.

hope that helps

Please
or

Gem13 · 06/10/2003 12:31

Sorry, couldn't help with the conception query. Just wanted to be of some reassurance that if they are a bit out of synch at the moment, that it'll be a temporary thing.

Fingers crossed you are pregnant though.

Please
or

Helsbels · 06/10/2003 13:11

cheers everyone - will test again and let you know....

OP posts:
Please
or

Helsbels · 07/10/2003 08:57

tested this morning - negative - do you still think it is worth testing at the end of the week? Also, how do I know when to bd again? This is so confusing

OP posts:
Please
or

bluestar · 07/10/2003 10:43

I can understand how you feel. I came off the pill a year ago. First 2 periods were about 34 days and then I had some very long and irregular periods (ranging 34-57). After a few periods like this, I settled down to 34 again and after 3 of these cycles, I got pregnant and then miscarried. Spoke to doctor and was told that if you have irregular periods you probably always will but if you have conceived once and everything was ok then there should be no reason why it will not happen again. Can take agnus castus to help regulate cycles, however, I was told that I should not try to conceive during this time. How about trying temping or ovulation kits? Lots of help on mumsnet for these areas. Good luck.

Please
or

Helsbels · 07/10/2003 13:31

Thanks - will try ov kits but still a bit worried about where AF has got to!! I think it's probably in my head and that I want to be pg so that's what I'm telling myself. Can't go to GP as no appts until end of the month other than emergency ones! Willow2 says her friend was 2 weeks late before a positive test so maybe......

OP posts:
Please
or

Jemma7 · 07/10/2003 15:04

Could be Helsbels - my friend had 12 negative tests before she found out she was pregnant.

She even had tests at the doctors too - turn out she had a low hgc level

Fingers crossed!

Please
or

Helsbels · 07/10/2003 15:30

Thanks, I will keep hoping. If not though just wish AF would hurry so we can try again

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?