Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Boots pregnancy tests - are they infallible?

19 replies

madgirl · 01/10/2003 10:14

Hi everyone - i'm feeling a bit glum this morning as am 3 days late but just did a Boots test and it was negative. I've been loooking at other threads and lots of people say that the Boots one is the most reliable - please someone tell me that it gave them a neg result while another test was positive!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Jemma7 · 01/10/2003 10:23

Get a first response - i would say that it the best option.

I've never used them before - always use clearblue but the name tends to suggest they could be better!

Good luck

Please
or

WSM · 01/10/2003 10:25

I used a clearblue and a Predictor when I was preg with DD (I tested the day after AF was due), both gave me a clear early positive. However, I do know that is possible to get a false negative, but not a false positive.

Please
or

madgirl · 01/10/2003 10:40

thanks for replies. i am at work but all i want to do is GET MY AF AND START COUNTING or for 3 days to go by in a flash and i can test again. i felt so disappointed and sick when there was no 2nd line this morning.

OP's posts:
Please
or

WSM · 01/10/2003 10:45

It is awful isn't it, being stuck in that limbo waiting. Best of luck.

Please
or

oliveoil · 01/10/2003 12:39

I saw an ad for a digital preg test for I think it was Clear Blue? - £15 but you get 3 tests. Not sure if digital would be better but it takes away that 'is there a line or not?' dilemma if it says PREGNANT on it!

I was 5 days late this month and getting all excited but forgot to buy a test when out with dh. We got all giddy that night planning names etc and getting ahead of ourselves and then......yep, my period arrived. We have only been trying for one month though so not dishearted, just feel daft.

Please
or

Helsbels · 01/10/2003 13:22

My doctor handed my a free pg test when I was there a couple of months ago 'cos I mentioned my AF was late and I was ttc. I never used it because when I got home - you guessed it.... I am on day 36 of an ave 32 day cycle but don't want to wee on a stick and be dissappointed. My point is that perhaps gps have a stock of these things that could save us all a small fortune?

Please
or

WSM · 01/10/2003 13:25

Helsbels, GP's do have pregnancy tests 'in stock' so to speak, but most GP's will advise you to go and buy a pt if you suspect that you're preg. Plus the fact that you aren't 'saving yourself a fortune' because it is coming out of NHS funds which are stretched as it is. I do think that if you can afford to buy the test yourself then you should.

Please
or

Helsbels · 01/10/2003 13:37

Yes I see your point and I usually do buy my own - however, bearing in mind the number of millions of pounds that the NHS spends on people who have never paid a penny into it, I don't feel too bad about the one that I received.Sorry didn't mean to snap - probably PMT.

Please
or

WSM · 01/10/2003 13:39

I didn't mean to sound preachy either Helsbels.

Please
or

Helsbels · 01/10/2003 13:49

Friends again, then?!

Please
or

madgirl · 01/10/2003 14:10

oh blimey - just had lunch with dp and cried with disappointment. then went and bought first response asyou suggested jemma7 but must have done it wrong as have no lines in the window ?? can't believe i messed it up!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

bunny2 · 01/10/2003 18:20

Madgirl, that test didnt work then! If at first you dont succeed etc etc. I had 4 negs including a Clearblue and finally tested + with a Tesco own brand so dont give up hope. BXX

Please
or

madgirl · 02/10/2003 08:23

thanx bunny2 well i did the first response again last night and still negative so this morning woke up and thought "just wait til AF arrives" or wait until SUnday (would be 1 week late then) and test again. it's typical isn't it that of all the months, when i think we b'ded at the right time, af comes late and makes me think i have phantom pregnancy!

OP's posts:
Please
or

WSM · 02/10/2003 09:17

ROFL, Helsbels. Did we have a playground style spat ?

Please
or

Helsbels · 07/10/2003 09:34

Bunny2 - how late were you before you got a positive - I'm on day 42 now (could be as much as 10 days late) with negative result.

Please
or

willow2 · 07/10/2003 11:08

Helsbels - my friend was over two weeks late before she got a positive.

Please
or

Gem13 · 07/10/2003 11:12

madgirl - Boots gave me a very, very, very faint positive (ok, there wasn't really anything there!) the day after I was due and so I tested a week later with Clearblue. I swear it tested positive the moment I opened the packet.

This time round I tested 4 days late with the Boots one but I already knew the answer and they were the cheapest!

Please
or

Helsbels · 07/10/2003 11:48

Thanks Willow - I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

Please
or

bunny2 · 07/10/2003 20:17

Helsbels, I was about 4 or 5 days late before I got a positive. Fingers crossed.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?