Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

which days will put a smile on dh's face?

27 replies

madgirl · 01/09/2003 11:01

I am being very lazy as I know the answer to my question is somewhere in these threads, but can?t spend all day looking for it! (think boss would have issue with it). I am ttc at the moment ? dh and I are not over active on the bedroom athletics front, so want to know when exactly we should go for it. I am always aware of when I ovulate and I did see on another thread that ovulation happens 14 days before the first day of your period, my question is, given I have a 28 day cycle, should we start having sex on day 14, or day 10 and carry on until day 14, or should we start on day 12 and carry on until day 16??or what?! Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

Hughsie · 01/09/2003 11:02

Dyas 10 - 18 just to be safe! and its more fun too!

Please
or

judetheobscure · 01/09/2003 11:04

I'd do 10-16 - you could conceive on any of them! Maybe every other day if the thought of all that athletics brings you out in a cold sweat.

Please
or

madgirl · 01/09/2003 11:26

Gosh so do the girl sperms stay alive for as long as 4 days?
Hughsie where do you get your energy from?! think i must be v bad wife!

OP posts:
Please
or

Jemma7 · 01/09/2003 11:36

I agree with Hughsie - the longer you try the more chance you have.
Good Luck BD'ing

Please
or

madgirl · 01/09/2003 12:20

Jemma7, do you think every other day is ok?

OP posts:
Please
or

Jemma7 · 01/09/2003 13:01

Depends how much energy you can muster up!
Some people say every other day is fine as sperm can survive for 2 days but then if you could manage it, I should imagine everyday would be best.
Good Luck - Have fun trying!

Please
or

GillW · 01/09/2003 14:36

That "14 days before" is only an average of course - it could be longer or shorter in your case.

Please
or

madgirl · 01/09/2003 16:06

what? oh no! i thought it was always 14 days? am i stupid or just ignorant or both?

OP posts:
Please
or

Jemma7 · 01/09/2003 17:25

I always thought that too Madgirl but it depends when u ovulate!
if you have regular 28 day cycles then it is likely to be between 12th and 16th day i think but it all depepends on when u ovulate.

If you ovulate later in the month then you need to be bd'ing then - may be worth getting Persona or OPK's to find out when u are ovulating.

Please
or

twiglett · 01/09/2003 20:59

message withdrawn

Please
or

madgirl · 02/09/2003 10:19

sorry don't understand the jargon. what is opk shows lh ? also - 10 days between ovulating and what?
will buy clearplan. thanks everyone. jemma7 how long have you been trying - i did see the other thread and was soooooooo disappointed to see you weren't there yet. madgirl

OP posts:
Please
or

Jemma7 · 02/09/2003 10:42

We have been ttc since Christmas - long process - however, i am starting on OPK's this month - more out of curiosity to find out when i am ovulating as i have no idea - for all i know i might not be!

I am using ClearBlue OPK which is recommended alot on here - also have Persona which is great - there have been a few people that have fallen pg on first month with Persona.
Would defo recommend either OPK or Persona to find out when you ovulate - when you know this, you know the best times to get bd'ing!

Thanks for saying how dissapointed you were - getting used to it now!
Just have to keep your head up and keep trying!

Please
or

twiglett · 02/09/2003 11:14

message withdrawn

Please
or

judetheobscure · 02/09/2003 11:56

IF you don't want the expense of an OPK you could try looking out for CM (cervical mucus). Try this website cervical mucus fertility awareness . Or charting basal body temperature (BBT). I found CM very reliable but it depends on how "easy to read" your "signs" are.

Please
or

quackers · 02/09/2003 12:07

Gosh twiggy that's a great ref for beginners - I could have done with that when I started on this thread! I'm keeping fingers crossed for you btw.
Jems, you sound like me now!!! You've graduated from trainee OPK promoter!!!! You've got it sussed now! Have you pressed your M button??? Do you know which day to start OPK's now????
Had my swab done now, but there was most probs too much blood, strated anitibiotics so hoping I might stop bleeding - it's been 4 weeks now !! 10 weeks since last bdg!!!!!!!!

Please
or

Jemma7 · 02/09/2003 12:15

Sorry to High-Jak your thread Madgirl but just wanted to reply to Quacks quickly!
Yes, have figured out that as my longest cycle has been 38 days so far i need to start my OPK on day 15 whiich is 10 days away!
Hope this works!
Glad your swab went OK - gosh, the bleeding must be getting on your nerves - it's bad enough just having A/F for 5 days!
Speaking of which, i should've come off my now but still going strong! How strange

Please
or

monkey · 02/09/2003 12:54

jto got to it first, but I was basiocally going to say the asme thing, mucus mucus mucus. If you've got any, you've got a chance of conceiving. If there's no mucus you've got v. little chance (almost none). Any mucus is better than none, but what you really want is egg white. Slippery white or clear & stretchy & bingo, get trying. Save all your money on these opk & just check down there for egg white.
Sorry to be graphic.

Please
or

BigBird · 02/09/2003 13:03

mucus is a good way to tell allright but I get mucus for 7-10 days so really needed to pinpoint ov for my own sanity. So by temping, using OPKs for 2 mths and mucus spotting you can cover all options.

Also - starflower oil taken from day 1 to ovulation can increase mucus. I'm on that too!! Tried the chesty cough medicine but that didn't work for me.

Madgirl, check out the fertility friend website and there is a handbook there you can download and it a great read when you're beginning. It explains everything.

Please
or

quackers · 02/09/2003 13:53

Yes that's great that website BB, very informative. I have to say I haven't been an avid watcher of mucus but looked out for it my last pg, didn't see any but still got pg. I suppose it could be in the night so by covering all the bases you get a good overall picture! Good luck Madgirl!! Jems will chat over on your thread xxxx

Please
or

twiglett · 02/09/2003 13:57

message withdrawn

Please
or

madgirl · 02/09/2003 15:19

oh no. I am hooked to this thread now. my period started last nigght (is there a short cut to say that?!) and i feel so disappointed. I know that sounds terrible compared you guys trying for months but there it is. so i am on day 1 of my cycle, and despite trying very hard not to, i am already a bit obsessed with my diary. have been to boots to buy a 5-stick opk - but did you all mean these, or have you got the £60 monitor thing? what is the difference? also question re mucus: i am aware of a "wetness" around that time - kind of like i'm wetting myself a bit but out of my vagina (sorry v graphic) but it is not thick at all, ever. will this lessen my chances? also - does the mucus signify ovulation or ovulation about to happen?

OP posts:
Please
or

Jemma7 · 02/09/2003 15:19

Oh, great - Thanks Twiglett - I would've been well impressed if i thought i was doing everything right and i actually wasn't.
I'm using ClearBlue OPK at the mo - my cycles vary between 28 and 38 days - so do i go by 28 day then?

Soz again Madgirl - promise i wont ask any more questions - will have to start another "Persona/OPK" thread at this rate.

Please
or

quackers · 02/09/2003 15:57

Yes Jems, do that!! Twigs is dead right!
Madgirl, the mucus should be thin and stretchy not thick and if it is thick it just means you're not at your fertile bit at the moment. If it is egg whote then you are fertile right then - so as Twigs says - SHAG then!!!!
Difference between OPKs and Persona, Persona does it all for you, you just doo a wee test when it asks and it decides if you're ov'g or not and tells u to have sex or not. OPK you have to dteremine the line colour yourself and decide if you are fertile. Quacks xxxx

Please
or

twiglett · 02/09/2003 15:58

message withdrawn

Please
or

twiglett · 02/09/2003 16:02

message withdrawn

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?