My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Chronic pain

Accidentally took an aspirin 75mg?

6 replies

susieshow · 05/05/2023 04:14

I accidentally took this thinking it was a daily painkiller but I just read the label properly. It says to not abruptly stop taking it or it will increase blood clot risk (I'm already high risk), am I okay to just not take any more now or is it already too late?

OP posts:
PinkButtercups · 05/05/2023 04:21

You need to phone 111 they'll be able to advise you.

LBFseBrom · 05/05/2023 04:30

It won't hurt you at all to have taken one low dose aspirin, susieshow, unless you are one of those people who is allergic to aspirin or you have stomach lining problems. Just forget it. Honestly, people used to take aspirin all the time for pain relief, even children had junior aspirin years ago. Yes it is prescribed for heart problems; when there is a possibility of thrombosis/embolism one a day lowers the risk of a clot but please don't think because you have taken one and then no more, that will happen to you. The aspirin will just pass out of your system.

FannythePinkFlamingo · 05/05/2023 05:29

You'll be fine. I take 300mg of aspirin per day for a condition I have. I take Omeprazole alongside it as it's such a high dose. At 75mg a day this isn't needed. It will pass through your system pretty quickly.

AngryGreasedSantaCatcus · 05/05/2023 07:15

susieshow · 05/05/2023 04:14

I accidentally took this thinking it was a daily painkiller but I just read the label properly. It says to not abruptly stop taking it or it will increase blood clot risk (I'm already high risk), am I okay to just not take any more now or is it already too late?

That instruction is given for people who are taking it on prescription/based on doctor's advice.

TheNachtzehrer · 05/05/2023 07:22

You're massively overthinking this. You took one, tiny dose of aspirin. Those instructions are for people who are taking it long term for anti clotting purposes. If your doctor thought you needed an anticoagulant, presumably you'd already be on one. But stick to paracetamol and ibuprofen in the future if it's going to stress you out.

Mistymoonsinastarrysky · 05/05/2023 08:12

I take 75mg daily, it’s a tiny dose (for migraine I’m prescribed 900mg four hourly so 12 times as much each dose!)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.