My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

From present ideas to party food, find all your Christmas inspiration here.

Christmas

Christmas House

28 replies

Escalateandcreate · 03/09/2023 15:35

I love Christmas decorations. Beyond your tree and may be a wreath on your door, what extra decorations do you have?

My hall has a Christmas runner, the bathroom has towels, bathmat, soap dispenser and also toothbrush holders. In the kitchen, I have lights around the windows, cookie jar and table cloth. The kids have Christmas bedding. I also have Christmas mugs and glasses.

I am on the look out this year for Christmas crockery and also super king size bedding. If you’ve seen any, please share. I particularly find most shops only do bedding up to a king size.

OP posts:
TommyShelby · 03/09/2023 15:42

Ooooh we have lots of Christmas in this house. We completely deck out the fireplace- lights, stockings, garlands and all sorts - and we have a nativity set on top that was mine when I was a child.

we have Christmas crockery and mugs that are used for the whole of December also Christmas bedding that is used for the whole month.

In the bathroom we have a penguin bathmat that my husband hates but my daughter loves whenever it comes out!

we have three windows at the front upstairs of our house so we hang lights in there in the shape of a star.

Theres probably more but I’ve forgotten 😂

Annaishere · 03/09/2023 15:55

I would like star lights on one of the living room walls or in a window this year. Also maybe Christmas cushions for the chairs and table runner

Escalateandcreate · 03/09/2023 16:04

Oh I forgot, I also have Christmas cushions!

OP posts:
OMGitsnotgood · 03/09/2023 17:03

I've never gone overboard but a friend who was decluttering gave me some Christmas material that originally I was going to make stockings with. There was so much that I ended up making cushion covers (just east envelope ones that fitted over my usual cushion covers). Gave the lounge a lovely festive feel.
I also put a Christmas candle and a couple of decorations on the window ledge in the loo and the bathroom

ITSSSSCHRISTMASSS · 03/09/2023 21:34

We have several trees and alternate the themes throughout the house. Most surfaces have something themed on them, we have ornaments collected over the years, a sleigh myself and my DDs decorated a few years ago that’s placed on a console table and has reindeer pulling it, Santa is usually joined by an elf or 2. We have robins, garlands, nativity sets, nutcrackers, pictures that are put up on most walls. My DDs have small trees in their rooms and their own wreaths on their bedroom door. Bath mats and I put stickers on the toilets and fridges. I have a decent collection of Christmas cushions and covers I alternate. Bedding is the one thing we don’t do, I just never seem to get around to getting them. My DDs have Christmas themed onesies, oodies and blankets which tend to cover the beds as well as their Christmas soft toy collection. O yes and my talking, dancing & singing themed toys I’ve been collecting since long before having DCs haha, my favourite a dancing Santa chicken that sings the birdie song.

Mindovermatter247 · 03/09/2023 22:57

We usually have a whole array of lights on the front lawn. Neighbourhood loves it. We always get comments from passers by etc. we get people taking pictures etc.

Mindovermatter247 · 03/09/2023 23:00

We also decorate the inside, have a massive real tree that we go to the local tree farm to pick out. Christmas bedding goes on first Sunday in December. Then after 2 weeks is rewashed and dried and put back on,.. except mine I have 2 sets. Kids get Christmas pjs Christmas Eve. We have Christmas bath mat, Christmas table cover. Christmas tunes playing when we aren’t watching Tv. I also do a Christmas movie advent… kids love it.

Candlesonthetable · 04/09/2023 09:32

I love to decorate for Christmas but I try, as much as possible, to make my own decorations apart from the ones that are actually on the tree (which have been inherited or bought over many years). As we come through the door (with the wreath made from things we find in the garden) there is a nativity set on the hallway dresser. We have a lot of archways in the house and over each is a twig garland with lights. Also a pine/fir/holly garland going up our bannisters (I thought this would die quickly but I have found the DC are happy to mist it whenever they go up the stairs so it lasts quite well). Both the garlands are made from branches we find in our garden - it's amazing what looks awful in the garden suddenly looks great when you bring it inside.
In the dining room a branch hangs from the ceiling with stars and lights hanging from it, and there are pinecones and lights down the centre of the table.
In the kitchen I try to keep the decorations natural-ish so there are pinecones, cinnamon sticks, star anise and origami stars on twine all around the walls. Also jars of cinnamon stars. Sometimes we get a rosemary tree from waitrose and decorate it with wire lights and gingerbread snowflakes and stars.
Upstairs there isn't a lot but the children's rooms have lights around their windows and the window that looks over the front from the stairs has battery operated candles in it.
Around the front door and garden I have battery operated lights on a timer in jam jars, some hang from the trees and bushes in the front.

BiddyPop · 04/09/2023 10:42

Traditional tree and cards in the mantle.

String of lights wrapped in a spiral around yew tree in front garden.

Garland draped up the stair bannisters on years I am organised.

Festive towels and handful of mugs in the kitchen.

Nutcracker on mantel and festive candle holders

Wreath in front door.

Festive hand towels in bathrooms. (Very occasionally I buy 1 pack of snowman lol roll or 1 pack of festive kitchen towel - maybe every 3/4 years I get one or the other).

I have a 2nd tree that I keep saying I'll put in the kitchen but never do.

LuckyNumber6 · 04/09/2023 10:42
Saturday Morning Weekend GIF

I just bought super king Christmas bedding! It was on a website called furn. The bedding is on sale at the moment and you get 10% off of your first order. They have lots of choice 🤶

hdbs17 · 04/09/2023 10:57

I do two trees every year, the one in the living room is the more "traditional" tree but the one in the dining room is the fun tree. It's candy cane and elf themed so there's huge candy canes sticking out of it, a 4ft elf stood next to it, a lamp post pointing to the North Pole.

This year, I want a large metal train that I can pop some elves into in another corner of the room.

I also want to add in Christmas cushions to the sofa this year.

zoom1982 · 04/09/2023 13:10

Escalateandcreate · 03/09/2023 15:35

I love Christmas decorations. Beyond your tree and may be a wreath on your door, what extra decorations do you have?

My hall has a Christmas runner, the bathroom has towels, bathmat, soap dispenser and also toothbrush holders. In the kitchen, I have lights around the windows, cookie jar and table cloth. The kids have Christmas bedding. I also have Christmas mugs and glasses.

I am on the look out this year for Christmas crockery and also super king size bedding. If you’ve seen any, please share. I particularly find most shops only do bedding up to a king size.

Next online have some beautiful Christmas duvet sets etc. I live in the Middle East and ordered a couple of sets from them last year and was very pleased with the price and quality. Their superking size fitted my 6' bed perfectly!

zoom1982 · 04/09/2023 13:13

I just bought super king Christmas bedding! It was on a website called furn. The bedding is on sale at the moment and you get 10% off of your first order. They have lots of choice 🤶

I bought this brand from Next online last year,beautiful design and quality,highly recommend!

Endlesssummerof76 · 04/09/2023 13:17

Lots of fresh foliage indoors such as garlands and vases of greenery etc to provide a wonderful fragrance and lots of outdoor lights and decorations

CrazyBaubles · 04/09/2023 17:23

I add lights to a real potted Christmas tree outside the front door (it was bought to come inside each year but spiders now live in it) and have a wreath. Also have a wreath and doormat.
Living room window has a light curtain thing with star lights on it.
We have a garland, berry lights and lanterns on the mantle Ornaments on the shelves in the living room and dresser in the dining room (Santa car, snow globe, children dancing around a Christmas tree etc)
A porcelain light up Christmas tree (it's one of my favourite decs and goes somewhere different each year).
Lots of Christmas candles dotted around.
Christmas cushions throughout downstairs.
Lights around the conservatory roof.
Christmas crockery, tablecloth and tea towels.

This year I have a Christmas throw and hand towels to add and want to find somewhere to hang my Christmas cross stitch Xmas Smile

Sadly no Christmas bedding here - DH asked for 1 room with no decorations and the bedroom is it.

70isaLimitNotaTarget · 04/09/2023 18:56

I love Christmas decorations Xmas Grin

DC are adults but the cats are litle vandals so:

No tree ( they climbed it and I worried about it being toppled)
No glass baubles unless way out of the reach of their sticky little paws
No lit candles

Christmas bedding for all of us ( more winter than Christmas though , woodland animals, stags)
Christmas cushions
Throw on the sofa that is nearly 20 yo
Christmas handtowels in the bathroom and downstairs loo
Christmas shower curtain
Christmas loo roll (The Snowman/M&S silver star)
Handwash (Aldi Gingerbread last year )
Christmas paper straws
Doormat

I have some plastic storage tubs and crockery that are decorated
The Snowman kitchen roll

Most of these come out every year

We decorate the banister and over the landing with swags and lights
LED candles in glass vases
Window stickers
Beautiful porcelain bell that is pre-lit

We have an Advert Tree with a cupboard containing tiny decorations from QVC . It is 20+ years old and comes out every year Xmas Grin

Pinkpots · 04/09/2023 18:59

I am the Queen of Christmas ( self appointed) I have so much it’s ridiculous. Each of my rooms has a theme Traditional Red and Gold and main tree ( with all my special tree decorations that all mean something to me) in the lounge swag over the fireplace and another small tree and a Santa sledge , Christmas cushion covers and throws on the sofas. Dining Room is a shrine to Frozen ( oldest granddaughter) white stick tree blue and white pom-poms one of those machines which make it look like snowflakes falling down snowflake tablecloth. Have my Dept 56 / Lemax snow village display ( pretty much bought the sideboard for this reason). Bathroom full on bright Christmas wall stickers and bath mat and Christmas towels and soap dispensers. DH’s WFH office is Winter Wonderland with silver and white with deer and robins etc. Stairs have those little paper bags with tea lights in them and greenery woven through. Spare bedroom is Santa’s grotto with backdrops on the walls and a big chair. Shower room is snow flakes and those scandi gnomes who peak out. Main bedroom is muted blue scandi fabrics with winter white throws. Kitchen is Mrs Claus cooking / baking theme with posters and hot chocolate and candy canes also have Christmas tea towels, oven gloves etc. Also I have Christmas crockery and glasses, I actually use the Christmas mugs all year round as they make me happy.
I also have many singing and interactive Christmas plushies and a few snow globes. I have to stop now as I have even more stuff than listed here including many home made wreaths and bunting, and people buy me Christmas things as a Christmas gift so my collection keeps growing. I also decorate my workplace ( for the children). This will be totally outing to anyone who knows me so I’ll have to name change.

70isaLimitNotaTarget · 04/09/2023 19:00

Sadly no Christmas bedding here - DH asked for 1 room with no decorations and the bedroom is it

I gave our old bedding to DS when DH decorated our bedroom (doesn't match ) DS doesn't mind what he sleeps on.
DH and I have dark red bedding and brushed cotton beige- wine red berries and robins pillowcases . I choose them , wash them and make the bed up . DH doesn't question Xmas Wink.

BMrs · 04/09/2023 19:25

I like to go all out. We have two trees, outdoor lights on the house, wreath, lights on the stairs, Christmas village, German pyramids and decorative bits all over as well as stockings etc. just bought some Xmas bedding for this year and have crockery that comes out.

Bring out the record player and Xmas records too.

MNetcurtains · 04/09/2023 19:28

You're all so adorable.🤗

Hadjab · 05/09/2023 17:00

Christmas lights and foliage on all of the bannisters.

Christmas House
Christmas House
BellaAndDave · 05/09/2023 17:10

I bought this last year in Dunelm. I’ve just bought another 3 sets thanks to your post ☺️

maltesermagnet · 05/09/2023 17:20

Homemade paper stars or snowflakes in the front window.
A homemade garland along the mantle.
Last year I used an old garland around the porch with lights which looked lovely.

A little sign mdf personalised 'Christmas with the Maltesers' that I painted.

Bits of holly and foliage in vases etc.

maltesermagnet · 05/09/2023 17:22

Oh and Christmas doormat
Garland on the stairs with homemade brown paper stars
Usually a hot chocolate Christmas set up...

Runnerduck34 · 05/09/2023 17:50

We have 2 real christmas trees( despite prolonged DHs campaign to drop down to one!)
A garland up the stairs
Mantlepiece in both lounge and dining room decorated.
Ribbon of pegged xmas cards round picture rail
Wreath on front and back door( use back door most)
Christmas china and ornaments on dresser
Decorations in kitchen on a shelf and on windowsill
Holly and ivy above all pictures downstairs
Have a soliatary xmas cushion!
Giant baubles and lights hanging on tree by frint gate.
Lights outside on bushes in garden
Have resisted xmas bedding but do have xmas tea towels and placemats
Feeling very xmasy now!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.