Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Oodies

55 replies

GoldStarAngel · 07/09/2021 00:26

DD, 11, wants an Oodie for Christmas. Tell me, wise ones with sassy 11 year olds, does this have to be an oodie or would a knock off do?

OP posts:
Please
or

Moonlaserbearwolf · 07/09/2021 00:33

It depends…my savvy 10 year old was desperate for an avocado one and that design is only made by Oodie. I know some of her friends have a navy blue copycat from Amazon. There doesn’t seem to be any particular peer pressure to have an actual Oodie. My daughter just preferred the design, and also the Oodie is longer than the copies.
So I’d say…go for design above branding, based on our experience.

Please
or

Whatiswrongwithmyknee · 07/09/2021 03:15

I got knock-offs from Groupon last year and my kids love them. My son has lived in it ever since he got it. It may not last as long as an actual oodie but it was about £15

Please
or

Suzi888 · 07/09/2021 03:29

£59 for a fluffy sack Shock. Flipping eck.

Please
or

lolbrador · 07/09/2021 07:29

I also have a sassy 11 year old. She got a fake oodie from Amazon for xmas last year, it was fab and she wore it so much it was walking itself to the washing machine. But then, she spent her birthday money on a real one in the summer, and I have to say it is much thicker and cosier and feels very luxurious: it was also her money to spend so I felt she appreciated the price! I would maybe go for the fake to see how much it's worn first Smile

Please
or

Smallkeys · 07/09/2021 07:33

They are expensive but I was surprised that actually it’s very very good quality and ours has been well worn so I would get a real one if it is in budget.

Please
or

Booknooks · 07/09/2021 07:35

If you think it'll actually be worn loads and kept, I'd go for a real one, the quality is much better and washes better. If it sounds like something they won't be arsed with in a few months then go for something else, but seems pointless to keep buying cheap ones as they will invariably break sooner.

Please
or

GoodnightGrandma · 07/09/2021 07:38

Oodies are expensive but worth it. They wash and dry well, and keep the quality.
If you’re getting one for Xmas order early, don’t do what I did and order late then spend the whole time worrying that it won’t arrive !

Please
or

lazylinguist · 07/09/2021 07:41

Ds has a real Oodie and I have a knock-off one. His feels a bit more luxuriously silky on the outside and is significantly denser and heavier fabric. Mine is slightly softer and fluffier on the inside. They look very similar. Mine is very warm, but I'm guessing his is even warmer as it's so dense. I'm very pleased with mine.

Please
or

Geamhradh · 07/09/2021 08:59

The real ones are definitely better quality. I got one for DD last year and it's amazing. I got it when there was a 25% code. About November. She lived in it last winter.
Definitely worth it.

Please
or

PhantomErik · 07/09/2021 10:16

My DD nearly 13 has a fake oodie from Amazon & loves it. She's quite balanced about having 'labelled' clothing, likes some but not fussed about others.

Hers is pink & she's recently really gone off pink & much more into black but still loves it & wears it a lot.

Please
or

GoldStarAngel · 07/09/2021 14:53

Some are £64 on their site at moment which is quote a good discount but still, £64 Shock

OP posts:
Please
or

GameSetMatch · 07/09/2021 19:06

The avocado one is £59 with code SUMMER

Please
or

Lovemusic33 · 08/09/2021 10:36

My dd has a knock off oodie but she wears it a lot so I might replace with a real one or something slightly better. I have one from Dunelm which I love, it’s much better than DD’s.

Please
or

goose1964 · 08/09/2021 13:09

You can get an avocado copy from amazon

Please
or

season2 · 08/09/2021 13:45

Both my DD11 and DS14 love theirs and where them most days apart from when I insist on them going in the wash ( we're just coming out of a southern hemisphere winter). I've been told the Oodie brand is much thicker and warmer than knock offs. They were expensive but based on cost per wear they worked out very economical!

Please
or

Puffinhead · 08/09/2021 16:27

I bought my DDs the knock off Sienna ones from Amazon last year (£20 each). They love them and I thought they seemed good quality. I checked all the seams first and thought they were ok but after washing some of the them have come apart so I’ve had to sew them up again. I now wash them inside a pillow case.

Please
or

Soma · 08/09/2021 16:44

@GoldStarAngel friend's DC have an Oodie and The Comfy, she said she couldn't tell them apart. The Comfy does not have fancy patterns, just plain colours.

Please
or

MeredithMae · 08/09/2021 21:23

Does anyone know if there'll be discounts in the lead up to Christmas please? £64 is just too much!

Please
or

SparklingLime · 08/09/2021 21:31

Last winter they were £59 with discount codes, but the shipping delays and customer service were a nightmare.

Please
or

bigbaggyeyes · 08/09/2021 21:32

I bought my 11 yr old dd an Oodie, I know her and it HAD to be an Oodie.

Please
or

SparklingLime · 08/09/2021 21:36

Just checked and most designs are currently £59 with code SUMMER, @MeredithMae.

Please
or

SparklingLime · 08/09/2021 21:37

Which is the same price as last year’s Black Friday offer.

Please
or

ohmyohmy123 · 08/09/2021 23:51

We all had oodies in my family last year. I got a great deal buying in bulk (£31 each I think). They were worn so much in the winter and saved on our heating bill.

I haven't tried a copy version so can't comment on quality of them but I can't imagine having to buy new Oodies for years as they will last.

Please
or

GoldStarAngel · 08/09/2021 23:54

Thanks all - I got a £59 one now for her christmas present

OP posts:
Please
or

reluctantbrit · 10/09/2021 10:23

DD got one last year for Christmas and lived in it during lockdown. It is very good quality and she loves it.

It was very much a "I really don't know what to get her for Christmas" present so I was prepared to pay the price and it was worth it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?