My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Sleep walking and urinating?

0 replies

Sleepwalking1123 · 13/11/2023 22:58

I have a 6 year old son who has been typically dry over night for well over 2 years. He’d have an accident in his bed maybe once every 3 months but nothing of any concern. 

However, over the last 6 months we’ve had about 4-5 episodes where he came to my bedroom in the middle of the night, he would be naked as he’ll have taken his pyjamas off, and tell me he’s had an accident. When I go back up to his room with him I will find his pyjama bottoms absolutely saturated with urine but his bed sheet is bone dry so when he urinated it obviously wasn’t when he was in his bed. 

I said to my husband a few weeks ago that it’s almost like our son is sleep walking because he’s obviously getting out of bed before urinating otherwise his bed sheets would be wet too. 

Anyhow, tonight I was lying in bed and I heard some movements upstairs. We have a 3 storey house and my son sleeps on the top floor of the house and I sleep on the middle. I heard footsteps moving across the landing and then it sounded like foot steps coming down the stairs to my floor, then also going down the next flight of stairs to the ground floor, and then running back up the stairs to my floor again. 

I got out of bed and when I opened my door I saw my son standing naked at the bottom of the stairs (the ones that lead up to the top floor) and he was urinating up them. There was a huge circle of urine around his feet and some on the first 3-4 steps. 

I was astounded. He seemed in a complete daze, he couldn’t talk comprehensively, he seemed confused, he couldn’t answer any questions and his heart was racing. He was twisting his legs in funny positions and kept telling me they were cold. 

I put him into my bed and as I carried on talking to him he started to come around a little bit more but he was still not really aware of what had happened. My husband asked him why he’d urinated over the stairs and he replied with, “I tried to keep it in.”

Anyhow, I took him up to his room where his pyjamas bottoms were on the floor but they were completely dry so I have no idea why he had taken them off. Automated behaviour maybe? I put fresh pyjamas on him and tucked him back into bed. 

And just to clarify, there is a bathroom right next to his bedroom (and we leave the light on) so he has easy access to a toilet should he need one.

I don’t know whether to be worried or not?

Can it be normal for a 6 year old to sleepwalk? Or normal to get out of bed and urinate either in their pyjama bottoms or somewhere in the house? 

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.