My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

16 month old not pointing

11 replies

Worriedmumtotoddler · 04/08/2023 20:39

16 month old still not pointing. I worried myself sick reading forums on this.
He is babbling a lot, making eye contact, clapping hands and bringing toys when asked, bonded well with his key worker at nursery. Has a little game of shaking his head at me making eye contact expecting me to do the same and hugs me and gives me a sloppy kiss when I reciprocate, but no pointing. Waves at grandparents once face time is finished. Anyone else's little ones not pointing until late?

OP posts:
IwillrunIwillfly · 04/08/2023 22:04

My boy only started pointing at 17 months. If he's otherwise meeting his milestones (it sounds like he's doing fab!) then I wouldn't worry, but you could always call your health visitor and ask for him to be seen if you're concerned.

boating32 · 04/08/2023 22:20

I was worried too but started at 16.5m after some encouragement.

parietal · 04/08/2023 22:53

some babies just don't point much.

read books together and point out the things in the pictures. it will help if he sees lots of pointing actions to learn from.

NeonHalo · 05/08/2023 06:43

Pointing isn’t delayed until 18 months. My understanding is that pointing to share interest isn’t something that can be taught and will just happen (or not) but sounds as though your DS is doing great so am sure it will come 🙂

TrudyProud · 05/08/2023 07:23

My 15 (nearly 16 month old) is sometimes delayed on the wave and only does it when the call has ended. It's processing time- give a few seconds at the end of the call where people are waving and not talking so she has time to respond.

Also, I find in person waves are more timely so I do wonder how much detail they see in a video?

If all the other milestones are being met try not to worry.

Worriedmumtotoddler · 05/08/2023 16:00

Thanks all, your responses make me feel so much better.

OP posts:
elskio26 · 06/11/2023 21:48

Worriedmumtotoddler · 04/08/2023 20:39

16 month old still not pointing. I worried myself sick reading forums on this.
He is babbling a lot, making eye contact, clapping hands and bringing toys when asked, bonded well with his key worker at nursery. Has a little game of shaking his head at me making eye contact expecting me to do the same and hugs me and gives me a sloppy kiss when I reciprocate, but no pointing. Waves at grandparents once face time is finished. Anyone else's little ones not pointing until late?

How is you LO now?

Worriedmumtotoddler · 08/11/2023 21:40

He talking now! He started reaching for the things he wants by 17 months and by 18 months he had 6-7 words. At the moment he is wondering around pointing to his favourite toys calling them his name 😂

OP posts:
elskio26 · 13/11/2023 19:37

Worriedmumtotoddler · 08/11/2023 21:40

He talking now! He started reaching for the things he wants by 17 months and by 18 months he had 6-7 words. At the moment he is wondering around pointing to his favourite toys calling them his name 😂

Wow good to hear this. My LO reaches for the things she wants but she dont point yet to show or share interest. Hope she will learn it soon as i am so worried sick 😢

Worriedmumtotoddler · 13/11/2023 21:01

@elskio26 how old is your LO? It's really good that she is reaching for things!

OP posts:
elskio26 · 14/11/2023 01:09

Worriedmumtotoddler · 13/11/2023 21:01

@elskio26 how old is your LO? It's really good that she is reaching for things!

She is 13.5 months.. Yes she has been reaching for things she wants and cries if she cant reach it but she dont point and look at me to tell me or let me know she wants it and need help. Ahe just cry whenever she cant reach something she wants

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.