My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Children's health

Baby head shake and shudder

10 replies

febbabies2023 · 04/08/2023 16:44

So this is most likely completely normal but just wanted to check because we all know what babies are like

LO is 5 months old

She shakes her head from side to side with no apparent reason and just wanted to check other babies do this? I've also noticed that she's shuddered a few times (she's not cold) when she's done the head shake

Just for reference
She's got an awful cough at the moment but has been doing the head thing for a while

Just double checking :)

TIA

OP posts:
Marblessolveeverything · 04/08/2023 16:46

I would wonder if she firstly her ears are "itchy/bothering her" or she simply could have discovered this skill. Little mystery makers can sometimes enjoy the sensation if she has a cough she may have a little fluid in her ears but if she isn't distressed I would leave her be and just see if it continues. My eldest loved to shake his head - still does at 15 when I ask anything!

febbabies2023 · 04/08/2023 16:49

@Marblessolveeverything maybe! She's definitely more irritable than normal but just put that down to the cough. She's been fed within the hour and just woke up from a 3 hour nap and she's still whining at me so not sure what she wants 😂
Got to love teenagers!

OP posts:
Ohthatsabitshit · 04/08/2023 16:49

I’d ask the GP

Takentomybed · 04/08/2023 16:51

Sometimes they do a little shudder when they do a wee.

ChloePyner · 23/11/2023 14:10

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this?
My baby is nearly 4 months and shudders occasionally as well. The GP says it’s normal, like when you are starting to sleep and dream you fall down a step, was her description. But you know what mum anxiety is like 🤦🏻‍♀️😅

paradyning · 23/11/2023 20:41

ChloePyner · 23/11/2023 14:10

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this?
My baby is nearly 4 months and shudders occasionally as well. The GP says it’s normal, like when you are starting to sleep and dream you fall down a step, was her description. But you know what mum anxiety is like 🤦🏻‍♀️😅

@ChloePyner have you looked into infantile spasms?

ChloePyner · 23/11/2023 21:36

No, I haven’t? Is it worth a look?
I’m on the ‘What to Expect’ app and lots of mums have shared similar stories to these shudders and seems like it is completely normal, lots happen when they are weeing!!

Dancingonaslice · 23/11/2023 21:48

Infantile spasms are more like a bend of the body and then clench in of limbs or extending limbs out. You can Google it there are lots of examples shown.

But best thing to do is get some recorded and go back to GP and ask about the possibility of spasms so they can say no or refer on for confirmation.

febbabies2023 · 24/11/2023 19:49

@ChloePyner no never did! She still does it occasionally but it definitely looks like she's doing it when she's doing a wee or if she's cold (like just after getting out the bath etc)

OP posts:
CP108 · 24/11/2023 19:57

I checked with the GP today and showed them a video and it’s completely normal and not anything to worry about :)
Glad your little one is ok :)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.