My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Books recommendations for nearly 8yo DS

12 replies

Peabody25 · 07/08/2021 21:18

DS is 8 next month, reads really well for his age and gets through books really quickly. I'm looking for slightly longer ones to capture his attention that he doesn't get through in a couple of hours.

He's read the whole of Tom Gates, treehouse series, half of beast quest, some Jack stalwart, Mr Penguin series, the first couple how to train your dragon books, Mr Dog series, bunny vs monkey, dogman series, investigators series, Tom Fletcher books, captain underpants, iguana boy, kid YouTuber, and Sam Wu and the first three Harry Potter. All of which he's really enjoyed.

He's read but not really enjoyed the first diary of a wimpy kid, David Williams, David baddiel, horrid Henry.

Any other ideas for books for him to read himself please? Not too scary and he's not really keen on fantasy or sports based books either.

OP posts:
PeonyTime · 07/08/2021 21:27

We went from beast quest to Astrosaurs, but they might be a bit too simple.
Some Dick King Smith? Roald Dahl? Might he like some of the classics? Magic Faraway Tree? Swallows and Amazons? Would he read the rest of the Hiccup series, and then Wizards of Once by the same author?
We then went onto Wings of Fire (Dragons) and Warrior Cats, but were an older, weaker, reader (9yr old) by the time we really took off reading independently.

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 07/08/2021 21:28

Roman Mysteries.

Peabody25 · 07/08/2021 22:16

Thanks both I'll give Dick King Smith and Roald Dahl a go and the Roman mysteries. He's got half way through one of the beast books, stopped and said he was bored of them. We've a few how to train your dragon books but they don't seem to be gripping him as much as others.

OP posts:
Aroundtheworldin80moves · 07/08/2021 22:28

You could also try Adventures on Trains... the first one is the Highland Falcon Thief.

Ricekrispie22 · 08/08/2021 09:01

Hamish series by Danny Wallace
Kid Normal
The Boy Who Grew Dragons
Epic Zero
Mr Gum
Freddie Yates
The Misadventures of Max Crumbly

Yellowcar2 · 08/08/2021 09:11

My 8yo DS has read most of the ones you and pp listed above. He also likes Micheal Morpurgo, the Adventure Island Mysteries series, Phillip Pullman- clockwork is great. Holes by I think Luis Sanchez is great. If he likes things that are a bit scary the Darren Shan books are good too.

BlueChampagne · 09/08/2021 13:01

Maudlin Towers books by Chris Priestley

BlueChampagne · 09/08/2021 13:04

Chicken Mission
Dave the Pigeon
Cows in Action

WeeMadArthur · 09/08/2021 13:05

Artemis Fowl, Frostheart, The train to Impossible Places, Nevermoor, Cogheart, How to train a Dragon?

Peabody25 · 09/08/2021 21:42

Ooh thank you, lots here I've not heard of. I'll have a look on Amazon for them.

OP posts:
BlueChampagne · 10/08/2021 13:23

Nothing to See Here Hotel series

Soomanybooks · 10/08/2021 23:32

My DS8 is obsessed with the Wings of Fire series and we have many conversations about which type of dragon we'd be.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.